ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #31
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto
 
Bwana's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 308
Jmead11 and cycletlh,

Thanks for the great tips! It looks like a great route going up to visit Banff and the Lake Louise area. I think a visit to Hyder would be sufficient for my first bike trip up there. I'll save the Artic Circle for another day when I have 4 weeks of vacation.

Did you guys camp or stay in hotels? Did you carry any emergancy communication equipment like sat radios or beacons?

Thanks again.
__________________
Bill

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what's for lunch."
--Orson Welles

2005 BMW F650GS Dakar (sold)
2008 Honda Goldwing Dark Metallic Red ABS (sold)
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Orange (sold )
2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #32
justJeff
Banned
 
justJeff's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Eastern Washington
Oddometer: 2,667
Hey Bwana, at least if you hit Hyder you can say you were in Alaska. I spent 30 years in Alaska and have a lot of miles up there, as well as about 2 dozen round trips on the Alcan, four of them on a bike.

I rode to Alaska in August 06. You can check out my trip report, it has quite a few pics. If you let me know what appeals to you the most, and how long of days you enjoy, or can endure, I can plan a couple of routes for you. If going above the Arctic Circle is a biggie on your list, I'd suggest gong to Hyder, and then heading towards Dawson and up the Demptster from there to get above the circle. I know some routes that wouldn't have you covering much of the same ground twice, and still expose you to the maximum amount of varied topography and scenery. I've traveled all over Alaska and Canda, and flow a bunch of it in my own plane as well. There is a lot of beautiful country. If you want some great offroad type stuff that you can do on your bike, let me know. I can steer you to some places that you won't find in any guidebook.

I've met Phil from Alaska Rider Tours and he's a great guy. The suggestion to fly up and rent a bike isn't a bad one at all.

The ferry from Haines will drop you off in Belllingham. The ferry ride itself is quite a bit of fun, but does take a few days.
justJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #33
tejasbusa
Adventurer
 
tejasbusa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 69
My son and I ran up to Prudhoe Bay last summer from Texas and we did it in 16 days. (10,500 miles on a Busa and a V-Strom) It wasn't enough time to do the trip justice. Coming from Sacramento and back again is do-able. I did check out the ferry trip and it was faster to run it if all you are trying to do is get to Alaska. If you want to see some very pretty scenery I would think about the ferry trip. Another option would be to ride one way and ship the bike and fly the other direction. I do know that I want to do the trip again, and if there is time restraints for that trip I am seriously going to look into the fly and ship method for one way.
__________________
Those who dance are considered INSANE by those who can not hear the music
tejasbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #34
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto
 
Bwana's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by justJeff
Hey Bwana, at least if you hit Hyder you can say you were in Alaska. I spent 30 years in Alaska and have a lot of miles up there, as well as about 2 dozen round trips on the Alcan, four of them on a bike.

I rode to Alaska in August 06. You can check out my trip report, it has quite a few pics. If you let me know what appeals to you the most, and how long of days you enjoy, or can endure, I can plan a couple of routes for you. If going above the Arctic Circle is a biggie on your list, I'd suggest gong to Hyder, and then heading towards Dawson and up the Demptster from there to get above the circle. I know some routes that wouldn't have you covering much of the same ground twice, and still expose you to the maximum amount of varied topography and scenery. I've traveled all over Alaska and Canda, and flow a bunch of it in my own plane as well. There is a lot of beautiful country. If you want some great offroad type stuff that you can do on your bike, let me know. I can steer you to some places that you won't find in any guidebook.

I've met Phil from Alaska Rider Tours and he's a great guy. The suggestion to fly up and rent a bike isn't a bad one at all.

The ferry from Haines will drop you off in Belllingham. The ferry ride itself is quite a bit of fun, but does take a few days.
Hey Jeff!

I remember your report because of the "Dubious Duo". I couldn't believe some of their comments but the best one was when Mr. RT wanted you to use your calling card and cell phone to check on HIS parts. Did they think you were the hired help or what??

Anyhow, with the great advice from everyone here I think I am really starting to get the direction I want to go. I think Hyder will be the farthest I want to go in Alaska this time. I want t a nice easy scenic ride. I'm not concerned about racking up the mileage. I want to enjoy meeting people and seeing the beautiful countryside of Canada and the US.

Any routes you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
__________________
Bill

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what's for lunch."
--Orson Welles

2005 BMW F650GS Dakar (sold)
2008 Honda Goldwing Dark Metallic Red ABS (sold)
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Orange (sold )
2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #35
soloyosh
Dad and husband
 
soloyosh's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: LHC, AZ
Oddometer: 5,475
I am planning a trip to Prudhoe from Phoenix, AZ for June 2009. My riding buddies and I figured we could do the round trip in the 16 days, but it wouldn't leave a lot of discretionary time for looking at stuff and emergencies. They all have more vacation time than me so we are riding up and seeing the sights. My bike then gets shipped home and I fly outta Anchorage. They're gonna ride home (one to L.A. the other to Naples, FL).

Maybe I'll see you there....

Look for the Uly with fuel cells.

Cheers
Brett
__________________
2007 Aprilia RXV 5.5
soloyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #36
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto
 
Bwana's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 308
How much is it going to cost to ship it back? Which company re you going to use?

I'll definitely keep an eye out for you. I'll be on an orange 990.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh
I am planning a trip to Prudhoe from Phoenix, AZ for June 2009. My riding buddies and I figured we could do the round trip in the 16 days, but it wouldn't leave a lot of discretionary time for looking at stuff and emergencies. They all have more vacation time than me so we are riding up and seeing the sights. My bike then gets shipped home and I fly outta Anchorage. They're gonna ride home (one to L.A. the other to Naples, FL).

Maybe I'll see you there....

Look for the Uly with fuel cells.

Cheers
Brett
__________________
Bill

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what's for lunch."
--Orson Welles

2005 BMW F650GS Dakar (sold)
2008 Honda Goldwing Dark Metallic Red ABS (sold)
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Orange (sold )
2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #37
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti
 
AKDuc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 6,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana
Jmead11 and cycletlh,

Thanks for the great tips! It looks like a great route going up to visit Banff and the Lake Louise area. I think a visit to Hyder would be sufficient for my first bike trip up there. I'll save the Artic Circle for another day when I have 4 weeks of vacation.

Did you guys camp or stay in hotels? Did you carry any emergancy communication equipment like sat radios or beacons?

Thanks again.
I'd say you do not need the emergency communication devices, and I sell 'em. You'll be lucky to go a half an hour w/o seeing another vehicle anywhere on the hwy in the summer.

If and when you think about comin up farther I highly recommend against ever taking the ferry all the way to or from Bellingham. Instead take it in and out of Prince Rupert BC and Haines AK. You save a lot of time and money and the roads in and out of those two places are among the best around! Plus you get a nice 2 day rest each way with free hot showers. Don't rent a berth and don't pitch a tent either. Unless of course maybe you're on a honeymoon or sumthin. Just make yourself comfy in the fully reclining lounge chairs under radiant heaters above them up in the solariums on each vessel. Except the newest ferry the MV Kennicott which is the LEAST passenger friendly in the fleet. I've ridden them all up here and I hope not to ride that one again because it was designed more as an oil spill response command vessel than a passenger ferry. Built post Valdez oil spill, ya know.

And I also encourage advriders thinking about venturing north alway keep in mind the annual Dust to Dawson ride to Dawson Yukon each Solstice. Fun!

Lots more good info in the 'Great White North' forum on here too.

See ya, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #38
Norsman
...a GSophile
 
Norsman's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Danville, VA
Oddometer: 2,347
I thought my time was short, I have three weeks. I've considered putting our bikes in the back of my truck or a uhaul and driving up there nonstop (alternating drivers) to save several days.

Uhaul is a good option... truck it up into canada, then ride. Truck it back.
__________________
2004 BMW R1150GS ADV
My SmugMug...save $5 on a SmugMug account with this: tKOaEps81O7hN
my2wheels
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #39
zacnzoe
bustnluc
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cen Co CA
Oddometer: 69
2 week Alaska trip.

Bill,

I just did San Luis Obispo CA to Alaska in two weeks with a buddy in August and it was ggggreat!!! My father and his buddy flew up to Anchorage and rode the bikes home (06 950 ADV's), while we flew home. I was only able to take 2 weeks off so this was the best way to make sure I could see alot! We rode a little over 6300 miles in 13 days, 1 tire change at the end in Anchorage and 1 oil change in Fairbanks. We rode through parts of Nevada, Oregon and Idaho getting up to BC. We went through Calgary, Banff, Jasper, Prince George to the Cassiar/Stewart Hwy #37(very remote heading North). This was a fantastic road, dont miss it! Next came Watson Lake and Whitehorse. Here we headed to Dawson City on the #2. Don't miss this route, very remote to Dawson City (AbFab). "Top of the World " #9 into Chicken Alaska, this what the 950's are made for, dirt and gravel road fun, I felt like 007 James Bond coming back into the US on this dirt rode border crosssing (Too much Fun!!!) Finally into AK, Tok to Fairbanks. oil change, Fairbanks to Deadhorse to Fairbanks on the Dalton Hwy in 26 hours. This was the most fun so far, great dirt road, mud, dust, asphalt, animals, Polish tourists, cute females at the construction zones operating heavy equip, Northern Lights, fast-fast-fast and fun new curvy paved sections, two flat rear tires, dropped my 2 gal spare gas can - greattt fun!!! Denali, Anchorage, Seward. Don't believe any nay-sayers, it can be done and it should be done. If you want a vacation to sight-see, take a motor home and your family. If you take your motorcyle, then ride baby ride!!!! You won't regret it - remember, "tomorrow is promised to no one".

P.S. If you need to arrange the ride home for someone in '09, give me a ring, I'll be ready by then for the return trip. Have a great ride - Zacnzoe.
zacnzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:46 AM   #40
soloyosh
Dad and husband
 
soloyosh's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: LHC, AZ
Oddometer: 5,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana
How much is it going to cost to ship it back? Which company re you going to use?

I'll definitely keep an eye out for you. I'll be on an orange 990.
I get discounted shipping through work. After checking what it would really cost... well, you're better off riding back. Sorry.
__________________
2007 Aprilia RXV 5.5
soloyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #41
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto
 
Bwana's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacnzoe
Bill,

I just did San Luis Obispo CA to Alaska in two weeks with a buddy in August and it was ggggreat!!! My father and his buddy flew up to Anchorage and rode the bikes home (06 950 ADV's), while we flew home. I was only able to take 2 weeks off so this was the best way to make sure I could see alot! We rode a little over 6300 miles in 13 days, 1 tire change at the end in Anchorage and 1 oil change in Fairbanks. We rode through parts of Nevada, Oregon and Idaho getting up to BC. We went through Calgary, Banff, Jasper, Prince George to the Cassiar/Stewart Hwy #37(very remote heading North). This was a fantastic road, dont miss it! Next came Watson Lake and Whitehorse. Here we headed to Dawson City on the #2. Don't miss this route, very remote to Dawson City (AbFab). "Top of the World " #9 into Chicken Alaska, this what the 950's are made for, dirt and gravel road fun, I felt like 007 James Bond coming back into the US on this dirt rode border crosssing (Too much Fun!!!) Finally into AK, Tok to Fairbanks. oil change, Fairbanks to Deadhorse to Fairbanks on the Dalton Hwy in 26 hours. This was the most fun so far, great dirt road, mud, dust, asphalt, animals, Polish tourists, cute females at the construction zones operating heavy equip, Northern Lights, fast-fast-fast and fun new curvy paved sections, two flat rear tires, dropped my 2 gal spare gas can - greattt fun!!! Denali, Anchorage, Seward. Don't believe any nay-sayers, it can be done and it should be done. If you want a vacation to sight-see, take a motor home and your family. If you take your motorcyle, then ride baby ride!!!! You won't regret it - remember, "tomorrow is promised to no one".

P.S. If you need to arrange the ride home for someone in '09, give me a ring, I'll be ready by then for the return trip. Have a great ride - Zacnzoe.
Thanks for the tips! I think you may have given me another idea on how to do it without killing myself racking up the miles everyday.
__________________
Bill

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what's for lunch."
--Orson Welles

2005 BMW F650GS Dakar (sold)
2008 Honda Goldwing Dark Metallic Red ABS (sold)
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Orange (sold )
2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #42
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto
 
Bwana's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 308
No worries. I'll come up with some way of doing it. It may not be all the way up into Alaska, but the main thing is having fun and seeing some of the sights people have posted about.


Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh
I get discounted shipping through work. After checking what it would really cost... well, you're better off riding back. Sorry.
__________________
Bill

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what's for lunch."
--Orson Welles

2005 BMW F650GS Dakar (sold)
2008 Honda Goldwing Dark Metallic Red ABS (sold)
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Orange (sold )
2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #43
justJeff
Banned
 
justJeff's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Eastern Washington
Oddometer: 2,667
Hey Bwana, it sounds like you've come up with a great strategy that will work for you, which is awesome. You're right (at least to my way of thinking) to want to be able to have the luxury of time enough to spend with cool people you'll meet along the way, and to check out unexpected spots that appeal to you. No two riders are exactly alike (which is why I only travel alone now). I know folks that really focus on the mileage and enjoy that. Others like to really smell all the roses along the way, and there are a bunch of us inbetween somewhere.

I think in your own backyard that the PCH, 1 and 101 are great rides on your way north or south. The Oregon coastline is spectacular. If you have time check out some of the tourist things like the sea lion caves. Going north or south you may want to consider hitting the Olympic Peninsula. You can take the Keystone/Port Townsend either way and it helps you to bypass a boring stretch of I-5 and Seattle. In at least one direction it may be worth doing. Instead of backtracking one you go to Hyder I'd suggest taking the Yellowknife Hwy to the Cassiar and hitting the Casiar from the south, going to Hyder, and then take the Cassiar to the north. Time permitting you can either head west towards Whitehorse and possibly up to Dawson, or turn east on the Alcan and head through Watson lake and south on the Alcan. Not going to AK, other than Hyder, you'll have time to enjoy yourself, and maybe do a bit of planning along the way depending on weather and whatever floats your boat. Obviously if you mostly slab it going north on I-5 you can make great time, much faster than taking the coast. Maybe save the coast ride for the return trip, time allowing?

Have a blast. Planning truly is part of the pleasure of all of this.
justJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #44
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Granbury Texas
Oddometer: 2,656
Alaska 2 Weeks?

2 Weeks would not do any justice to that ride. We took 1 month from Texas And Back. Took the ferry up. Great experience. You seem to be trying to do too much. My suggestion would be with some of the others who have completed this epic ride, spend 2 weeks instead enjoying NW Canada area, just as beautiful and alot more time to enjoy. When you have more time consider Alaska-it is amust do.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:05 AM   #45
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer
 
One Eye Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 658
Take it from someone who lives here....
2 weeks is not enough..................................
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014