User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2007, 04:29 PM   #46
EdOriginal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
You've been given some good advice

Best advise was 1) to Glacier NP, Waterton NP, BC, Alberta, Jasper and other areas of Canadian Rockies....great scenery and wildlife. That you can do in 10 to 14 days.
OR
2) Fly to AK and rent a bike....

Have done the trip 3 times and don't see it realistic to make with less than 23 to 27 days...if you are going to see anything or have planned for at least one flat or some type of mechanical probm, roadwork delays, etc.

If your work allows...do what I did. Carry a notebook pc, cell phone, customer list, and do whatever work that can be done from the road....to stretch 2 weeks into 3 or 4 weeks. Also leave 3 or 4 days before a holiday (ie: July 1 to stretch the holiday).

14 days ? Go to Jasper BC (0r is it in Alberta?) until you can hire and deligate work.

EdOriginal screwed with this post 10-11-2007 at 05:48 PM
EdOriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #47
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
awesome

Whatever you decide, it will be a geat trip. I've done it in 11 days and I've done it in 21 days. (both in cages.) Both times, trips to remember. On a bike, it'll be more so. Best of luck and be sure to do some practie rides to see how you can take 400, 500, 600 mile days. You have the time.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:47 PM   #48
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by idea man
Whatever you decide, it will be a geat trip. I've done it in 11 days and I've done it in 21 days. (both in cages.) Both times, trips to remember. On a bike, it'll be more so. Best of luck and be sure to do some practie rides to see how you can take 400, 500, 600 mile days. You have the time.
Hey idea man,

Thanks and whatever happens, I know it will be an adventure. Some great ideas have been posted here and I think I will have several options including riding just to Hyder and the PNW or possibly a fly-buy-ride out of Anchorage if I really want to see more of Alaska.

I'm really looking forward to more detailed planning. As JustJeff posted, the planning phase is a major part of the pleasure of such trips.

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what's for lunch."
--Orson Welles

2005 BMW F650GS Dakar (sold)
2008 Honda Goldwing Dark Metallic Red ABS (sold)
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Orange (sold )
2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 PM   #49
8Superman
Shut up and RIDE!!

Oddometer: 953
Bwana,
Ever thought about doing The Continental Divide ?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #50
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Superman
Bwana,
Ever thought about doing The Continental Divide ?
More info please.

BTW, are you still looking into getting a 990?

--Orson Welles

2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Old 10-11-2007, 05:18 AM   #51
DangerRanger
Not Enough Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Bwana,
I am also going up in '09. We are planning to ship the bikes to Oregan and go most of the way north via ferry eventually to faribanks and back down through Banff nad Glacier and then ride back east between the great lakes. Tentative plan is for 17 or 18 days. We would go in '08 but one of our crew is blowing his vacation on some honeymoon thing so we agreed to wait another year. Take your two weeks and head for alaska. see what you can and what you can't will be for the next trip.

Ride around for 10 or 11 days and then turn back south, remember, two weeks is really 16 days off work, 17 if you leave or return on a holiday.

It's not the destination, its the ride.

CR250R, KLR650, Sportster
DangerRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:27 AM   #52
IB Mike
Ex-Wingabego Rider

Oddometer: 598
there is no way I could plan a trip 2 years out.... I'd go nuts! I am already dying for May to get here, as me and WTF-OVER (who is bringing a couple friends) are headed to Prudhoe.

We are planning on taking 2 weeks using this route:

I'd love to be able to take longer, but getting more than 2 weeks is a stretch for any of us... and I'm all for doing what I can now and hoping for a chance to do more later. I've already gotten orders to Japan since we started planning; I am going to head there in Jan, then fly back in May to do the ride. Then I'll ship the bike to Japan. (hopefully I can find some good ADV riding in Japan... and though I haven't even begun to check on the possibilities, but I'm hoping for a ferry of some sort to China... would be WAY cool to do some riding there!!!)

WTF & I am experienced IB riders, so we can handle long days in the saddle; we are planning 500-ish miles a day. I agree it won't allow for TOO much flower sniffin... but the ride is as much about the adventure of spending 2 weeks on the road (and getting to Prudhoe)as it is the scenery... so that is cool with me!

Lots of great input in the thread, thanks for putting it out there Bwana! Sending the link to this thread to the other fellas to review. Welcome any inputs on the route... WTF put it together, he is a planning machine! Thanks bro!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:49 AM   #53
8Superman
Shut up and RIDE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana
More info please.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:54 AM   #54
8Superman
Shut up and RIDE!!

Quote:
More info please.

Here are some adv's that just did the trial.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...inental+Divide

Not looking to get one yet, but hopefully when I get my promotion finish my degree (December).
Old 10-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #55
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bobbitt
there is no way I could plan a trip 2 years out.... I'd go nuts! I am already dying for May to get here, as me and WTF-OVER (who is bringing a couple friends) are headed to Prudhoe.

We are planning on taking 2 weeks using this route: http://norcalavalancheclub.com/Forum...1349.0;id=4266

I'd love to be able to take longer, but getting more than 2 weeks is a stretch for any of us... and I'm all for doing what I can now and hoping for a chance to do more later. I've already gotten orders to Japan since we started planning; I am going to head there in Jan, then fly back in May to do the ride. Then I'll ship the bike to Japan. (hopefully I can find some good ADV riding in Japan... and though I haven't even begun to check on the possibilities, but I'm hoping for a ferry of some sort to China... would be WAY cool to do some riding there!!!)

WTF & I am experienced IB riders, so we can handle long days in the saddle; we are planning 500-ish miles a day. I agree it won't allow for TOO much flower sniffin... but the ride is as much about the adventure of spending 2 weeks on the road (and getting to Prudhoe)as it is the scenery... so that is cool with me!

Lots of great input in the thread, thanks for putting it out there Bwana! Sending the link to this thread to the other fellas to review. Welcome any inputs on the route... WTF put it together, he is a planning machine! Thanks bro!
Hey Mike,

Japan is awesome for motorcycles. I've been there a couple of times and the roads outside of the major cities will probably rival some of the better roads here. You might want to contact Jim Davis over at http://www.easternbeaver.com/Home/Main/main.html. He lives in Japan and rides quite a bit over there. I don't know him personally, just buying a fusebox from him.

--Orson Welles

2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Old 10-12-2007, 05:33 AM   #56
IB Mike
Ex-Wingabego Rider

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Hey Mike,

You might want to contact Jim Davis over at http://www.easternbeaver.com/Home/Main/main.html. He lives in Japan and rides quite a bit over there.
Very cool, thanks for the hook up!
Old 10-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #57
gsilvernale
Lowlander

Oddometer: 252
Ride there and sell your bike and fly home

My son and I rode from South Dakota to Alaska. It took us 9 days, stopping and seeing stuff. The best part of the ride was the Cassiar Highway. Just make sure you fill up with gas every chance you get. Its a long way between gas stops and some of the places that used to have gas are no longer operating.

My suggestion is that you do the ride on a good $3000-$5000 650 CC single dual sport. (KLR, F650, etc). Then when you get there, put the bike on Craig's list and sell it. Then fly home.

You will sell it in a hurry if you do not ask too much for it. And the flight home will be cheaper than riding back down or taking the ferry.
gsilvernale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #58
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMead11
I think that with the amount of time you have, you would be better off to do the Banff and Jasper thing too. If you feel compelled to be able to say you rode to Alaska, Hyder would be definate thrill. You can see Salmon and Bear Glacier, experience a little small town Alaska and not knock yourself out too much.......

A friend and I are planning a possible trip from KC, Missouri to Hyder, Alaska in June of 2009. We are planning on hitting Glacier Park, Montana then on to Hyder, Alaska but we also do not have a lot of time and are looking at a 12 day round trip time table. This would be much easier if we were retired so we may not make it past Glacier Park.

The info you posted will be a great help in our planning aswell, thanks for posting it Mead11.
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #59
gwl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
bend oregon to ak 2007

My wife and I did the trip from Bend Or. to Fairbanks last year in just under 3 weeks. We had 3 days off (valdez, denali, fairbanks). I guess we averaged 10 hours a day driving with two 16 hour days. So yes you could do it in 2 weeks but it would not be fun.

We started the trip by going to sandpoint ID then into Banff Jasper area. We set the bar to to high by going to the Canadian Rockey's first. I wish we would have spent the three weeks just poking around that area.

If you drive from Banff to Jasper you will have huge moutains on your left and right for something like 250 miles. That does not take into acount all of the side area to check out. It is the coolest area I can think of.

Alaska is great and you would love it the Denali Hwy is something else, then there is the road to Homer and the one to Valdez and on and on. I will go back but if you are a little short on time treat yourself to a Canadian trip.
gwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #60
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 243
2 weeks is OK as long as you like 600 mile days

A couple of years ago I rode to Alaska (from San Francisco) to meet my family for a vacation on the Kenai and up near Denali. Their flights were coming in Tuesday afternoon, so I needed to get there around noon to store my bike and pick up a rental minivan. My ten year anniversary was on Friday, so I did the ride to Anchorage in about 3 & 1/2 days. It was not particularly easy, and I took the time to take only one photo during the entire trip north.

I took an extra day getting home, but I needed to be back to work, so my total round trip riding time was 8 days. I had to average nearly 1K miles every day, which is OK as long as you don't plan to do anything else other than ride the ride. If you want to stop early some afternoons, or stop frequently during each day, or spend any days off the bike, then the time adds up quickly.

Given my vacation constraints that summer, I did what I had to do and don't regret it at all. Would I have liked to have had three or four weeks? Of course.

BTW, it rained every single day that I was north of the lower 48, sometimes all day, sometimes only for a few hours. Long days riding in the rain in the far north require serious rain gear, or you'll end up getting off the bike early. I was riding alone, so I could make much better time than I would have with my wife, or with any other riders.

When all is said, two weeks is probably a minimum for most people, and three weeks is much better.