User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2007, 07:09 AM   #16
Forrest Gump
Run, Forrest, RUN...

Oddometer: 25
Cool2

I drove both models as well, my friend has Versys, and I made about 1000 kilometers on it. If You'll ride alone, it's not so bad, even it's not suited for more than 300 km a day, because of it's unconfortable seat for such a long trip. Especially it's valuable info for person behind You, for pillion Versys is very unconfortable.

As regarding GS, it's my favourite, because it's still BMW, and it's worth of every damn penny You pay for it. For driver and pillion, it's unmeasurable much confortable than Versys, has more fine line of power and torque, less undesired reactions. Versys is faster and stronger, but BMW is BMW, especially when You wants to sell it. And quality is strong ace of BMW.

Picking between Versys and F 650 GS depends on Your needs, especially do You ride alone or with pillion. For pillion, longer trips, confort, quality and image - pick BMW. For ride alone, power, top speed - pick Kawa.
Forrest Gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #17
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
f650 would drive me nuts with the lack of oomph. Slower than acar is not a quality you want in a bike
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #18
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheels
f650 would drive me nuts with the lack of oomph. Slower than acar is not a quality you want in a bike
0-60 in 5 seconds. Which car were you talking about?
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #19
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo
Everything is relative and also biased based on what you are comparing it to...

Gustavo
Agreed. My wife's F650gs (2001) puts my hands to sleep in the exact short period of time and distance as my KLR650 does. She says she feels no vibrations on her Fgs and would be willing to ride the bike to the moon. A friend of mine says my KLR650 has the least vibrations of any KLR he's ridden, but it puts my hands to sleep. Different people, different frequencies, different affects from the bikes vibes.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:05 PM   #20
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
I just did a 5000 mile, 11-day TAT/asphalt ride on my 06 F650 GS. I agree with one of the posters here; it does not vibrate in a traditional, buzzy, make your hands numb sense. At 4500 RPM (75 mph with a 44T rear sproket), the bike likes it there. As with all D/S bikes, the GS is a compromise. I commute 100 miles a day on it and its perfect for that. 62-65 mpg, smooth, agile and competent. If you want to off-road, the trouble starts. The fat 19 in front tire does not belong off road and if you start loading up with camp gear, clothing etc. you'd better lower your expectations if you think you're going to do powerslides in the dirt. You will find yourself on your butt. BTW, the new '08 KLR has gained 50 lbs, the new Beemer 650 cross country has lost 50 lbs as compared to the GS, but also has lost 2 gallons of gas capacity, now only 3 gal's on board instead of 5.
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote