Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #16
Wolfhound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Excellent thread. Near the top of my list is that the most dangerous time to split is as traffic is slowing - I always wait back a little for things to settle down (I usually see cars making last minute dives during this phase).

Lanesplitting is tiring and requires alot of concentration - just don't do it if you don't feel up to it, for whatever reason. It is also hard not to find yourself speeding up as the traffic speeds up around you - keeping an eye on your speedo is hard when focusing so much. I like to think that I am getting back in line when the speeds are 35+ mph.

Truthfully, I hate lanesplitting but it is just unavoidable at certain times and I am glad it is acceptable/legal in CA. I actually try and work around the worst traffic times specifically to cut down on the times I "have" to do it.

Also, I think it is important to acknowledge (if safe) those drivers that make an effort to give you room - even though you may not have needed it!!

Take care - Wolfhound
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:11 PM   #17
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,170
My biggest problem in lane splitting is the adrenalin rush I get from splitting in commute traffic. It can be almost as addicting as cornering fast in the mountains. You can not lane split in a relaxed riding mode. You must get into a hyper aware, vigilant, alert mode, that in me starts to kick in the adrenalin and if I’m not paying close attention I start to push it too much and take too many risks.

Ahhhhh, ya gotta love this state
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 PM   #18
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214

Where's Das Rider? He usually enjoys chiming in during these posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Rider
Lane sharing is a safety issue my ass. It is the most dangerous thing imaginable on a motorcycle. Happily I've never seen it and hope I never do. I guess I'm a motorcycle owning and riding jackhole because I wouldn't allow anyone to pass me in my lane. Don't even try, you won't like the results and I never saw you. I don't want you or your bike that close to my vehicle. You endanger everyone's lives with this stupid practice.

Quote:
I contend that it is the lane splitters (law breakers) who jeopardize my safety and the public safety. If I see it coming from behind, you can bet I will pull over (into you) to stop you from passing me in my lane. I will be the cop; I will not allow you to endanger me or my vehicle. If you don't try to squeeze between me and the car next to me then you won't scratch my vehicle you won't get hurt. If you get hurt in the process, it's your fault, that's the law. You were breaking the law, making an illegal pass.
Quote:
America needs vigilantes. They were heroes when they started and they still are. Notice "doer of justice". Nothing wrong there. Liberals and criminals fear vigilantes.

oh it goes on and on

Read the whole thing here
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is

eatpasta screwed with this post 09-26-2007 at 06:48 PM
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #19
old wanderer
Old quick guy

Oddometer: 371
As an avid lane splitter, and I have over 50 years of riding in SoCal, so not much suprises me, however, for me the most dangerous time to lane split is after dark...

During dayling, I will just twist the throttle and enjoy the ride. 6" clearance is plenty of room at 70 MPH. However when the sun sets, and the traffic is all headed for home after a day of work, I try to avoid riding, or if I do, in is into the HOV lane and just follow along (Unless I have some incredibly slow jerk ahead, then I use the merge lanes to pass. )

The biggest danger when riding a sports bike and lane splitting is the reaction to use the brake instead of the throttle. Ususally I can clear a situation that is starting to become dangerous with a twist of the wrist and 2 seconds I am in the clear. If you are riding a larger cruiser bike, then the dynamics are understandably different.

Iron Butt #32691

Life begins at 30 but starts to become really fascinating approaching 150!!

2008 KLR 705+
2007 Beta 525RR
2003 Aprilia Futura
2001 Aprilia Falco(2)
2002 Aprilia CapoNord
2000 Honda CBR 600 F4 (Track only)
old wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:30 AM   #20
FreckedUp
n00b

Oddometer: 3
My prefered lane splitting configuration is to never let up on the horn while doing a wheelie. I figure the noise alerts drivers and the vertical position limits lateral exposure.
FreckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #21
Tiras
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreckedUp
My prefered lane splitting configuration is to never let up on the horn while doing a wheelie. I figure the noise alerts drivers and the vertical position limits lateral exposure.
Funny stuff
"It's 2:00am; I have run out of gas, been attacked by a wild animal, played the running of the bulls on a major roadway and repaired an equipment malfunction. I have traveled a total of 22.5 miles in 3 hours and I can still see the New York skyline. This is going to be a very long ride." - Rogue 1

'04 KLR650
'04 BMW R1150R
Tiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:10 PM   #22
cheff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
I want that sticker!! where can I find one or 4
'04 XR650 Sold 30K miles
cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #23
torags
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,457
I'm late to the party. Great thread.

I turn on my left signal when splitting & leave it on. I wonder why more don't do it. I have fogs also.

All good posts...
'07 HD XR 883R Sportster "Widow Maker"///Gone!
IBA #17225
torags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #24
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheff
I want that sticker!! where can I find one or 4
Thats a knock off of the "Share the Lane" art ADV member Boney made for t-shirts and stickers. The image above was done without permission so its a bit of a sore point. Support the original here: http://www.boneytees.com/
Old 10-09-2007, 12:07 AM   #25
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,921
With all the talk about assuming cagers are out there trying to kill us, cell phone addicts, do loud pipes save lives? etc. and here we have people purposely putting themselves in harms way by lane splitting. Any way you slice it, its still one of the most dangerous situation a motorcyclist can put himself in.
You are at the cagers mercy, anyone of them can legaly kill you without even a citation been written.
One of my riding buddy's Dad was killed while lane splitting on the Williamsburg bridge in NYC by a cager that opened his door to dump his coffe but some witnesses stated the door was opened enough to have its edge meet the bike which was way more than needed to dump coffe, still no charges, no citations, just a dead Dad.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #26
PizzaHog OP
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Headlights

OK - I think it's "official": Instead of "Loud Pipes Save Lives", could we substitute, "More Lights Save Lives"?

Over the past few weeks, I've been splitting in the dark going to work []. It sucks, but the extra fog/driving (Hella FF50s) lights really seem to increase my visibility. Even today, in the rain, no one has cut me off [knock on wood].

Also, looking in my mirrors to see if there was anyone behind me, there was simply no way I would have been able to differentiate between a single MC headlight and any other headlight. In other words, a single headlight becomes just another light in the mass of lights visible to a driver looking in his/her mirrors before changing lanes [assumming that they, you know, actually do that].

Anything to increase forward visibility - breaking up horizontal "lines" of lights, making them modulate, throwing more 'trons downstream - anything seems to improve the odds of arriving at the destination.

PH
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #27
PizzaHog OP
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Resurection for the Spring

Bueller? Bueller?

Is this thing on?

With more bikes on the road at this time of the year, I thought I'd see if there was any additional input from y'all.

PH
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #28
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,539
I've got one.... Maybe I just missed it but I didn't see anything about making eye-contact in mirrors.

I know you can't make eye-contact with everyone you pass, hell, not even most of them. I usually try to make eye-contact or at least see the eyes or glasses of as many drivers as possible in their mirrors. You can tell a lot about what sombody's about to do by their eyes. I'd say it's kept me out of a situation or two.
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 PM   #29
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 441
I AM THE GOD OF TRAFFIC! The common people wait in line like lemmings as I fly by with not a care in the world. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (evil laughter). What is the meaning of the word "wait" ? I am not familiar with this term.

But seriously, I agree with the tips. I use high beam also and I'm thinking I should get some fog lights!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #30
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 441
I also put reflective tape on the forward facing part of my mirrors, fork legs, and helmet.