Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #31
PizzaHog OP
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk
I've got one.... Maybe I just missed it but I didn't see anything about making eye-contact in mirrors.

I know you can't make eye-contact with everyone you pass, hell, not even most of them. I usually try to make eye-contact or at least see the eyes or glasses of as many drivers as possible in their mirrors. You can tell a lot about what sombody's about to do by their eyes. I'd say it's kept me out of a situation or two.
That's a good one!

A parallel lesson - if you can see the cage driver in their side-view mirror, they can see you.
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:37 AM   #32
BigX
n00b - Yeah, right

Oddometer: 609
I can only add...

...Split like you mean it.
BigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #33
PizzaHog OP
Thought Criminal

True - while being too aggressive is an obvious way to faceplant, being too tentative might be just as bad.

My analogy is: Lanesplitting is like canoeing on a river - the only way to steer is to go faster or slower than the current.

Thanks my story, Officer, and I'm sticking to it.
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
Old 03-06-2008, 01:12 AM   #34
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
Well, just judging from some of the drivers here in AL, I don't think lane splitting is too prudent (or legal) here. I think it has alot to do with cagers not seeing lane splitters hardly at all here, whereas in CA cagers are used to it. People here don't expect it so when you do it, you'd better be sure your not putting yourself at an unnecessary risk. Personally if I was sitting in the kind of traffic that californians sit in, then I'd be lane splitting every morning and afternoon but here in AL, it's not a common (nor legal) practice.
Brent4ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:03 AM   #35
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Here's my tip: when you're splitting behind another bike don't fixate on his brake light/back tire/whatever, keep your eyes moving. It's easy to just stare at that brake light and then miss seeing a hazard.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #36
kdanie
n00b

Oddometer: 1
This is my first post on this forum...

PizzaHog, we likely share the same space often. I commute from Petaluma to Sausalito and have done it a few times on my bike. I have noticed a dramatic increase in riders during the 2.5yrs I've been doing that commute.

I agree with your lighting thoughts, I actually cut off a rider with a single headlight-his headlight lined up perfectly with the vehicle one lane over.

There is a CHP officer that rides to work at the same time I travel, he rides quite agressively to get through the traffic. I find it ammusing to watch the drivers freak out and slow down when he goes by thinking that he is on shift.

One of the times I rode to work I was entering a spot where the lanes reduce from 3 to two. Traffic always slows there and I was watching for drivers to jump lanes as usual and almost got speared by a 1" dia. pipe sticking diagonally out the bed of a pickup 2 feet past the right side of the truck. No warning flag.

I don't like my odds lane splitting and at the time of day I travel driving is not so bad so I save the bike for weekends.

ken
kdanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #37
PizzaHog OP
Thought Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanie
This is my first post on this forum...

PizzaHog, we likely share the same space often. I commute from Petaluma to Sausalito and have done it a few times on my bike. I have noticed a dramatic increase in riders during the 2.5yrs I've been doing that commute.

I agree with your lighting thoughts, I actually cut off a rider with a single headlight-his headlight lined up perfectly with the vehicle one lane over.

There is a CHP officer that rides to work at the same time I travel, he rides quite agressively to get through the traffic. I find it ammusing to watch the drivers freak out and slow down when he goes by thinking that he is on shift.

One of the times I rode to work I was entering a spot where the lanes reduce from 3 to two. Traffic always slows there and I was watching for drivers to jump lanes as usual and almost got speared by a 1" dia. pipe sticking diagonally out the bed of a pickup 2 feet past the right side of the truck. No warning flag.

I don't like my odds lane splitting and at the time of day I travel driving is not so bad so I save the bike for weekends.

ken
Heh - yah, I've almost been nailed by a few things too: lawnmower handles, low-riding trailers, etc. Hate 'em.

I'm the black Honda ST1300; I wear a white helmet. I'm trying to figure out how to turn the back of my [black] jacket into some sort of marquee, so I can put funny/scathing comments on it.

The CHP might be a Mill Valley bike cop that has a nasty habit of pulling other early-morning lanesplitters over if he doesn't like the way they're doing things. It'll be interesting if anyone actually calls his boss to ask if this is OK with him...

And the light-fixation thing is Da Truth. This becomes more of an issue as more and more people start lanesplitting. I catch myself doing that...

Keep up the good suggestions and observations!

PH
Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #38
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiorio
Great thread. Would like to add that as much as there are those who resent the lane-splitters, there are those who see you coming and make a little room. Let these folks know they are appreciated, a wave if you can or a very obvious nod-of-the-helmet helps them feel it was worth it to make the effort!
Worth repeating. There are 2.5 times as many avid bird watchers as motorcyclists. Our political clout is almost non existant. After living in California and "sharing" lanes for 6 years now I can't imagine how much it would suck to have it taken away by a irate public, or misguided politician.(they're out there) Don't take it for granted.
Benjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #39
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Let me third the call for making them feel the love. If someone gives way, even if accidentally, I wave vigorously when safe. Thanks for looking out for me, friend!
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #40
Drifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiorio
Great thread. Would like to add that as much as there are those who resent the lane-splitters, there are those who see you coming and make a little room. Let these folks know they are appreciated, a wave if you can or a very obvious nod-of-the-helmet helps them feel it was worth it to make the effort!
When I make room for a lane spliter, it's not because I'm being kind, it's to avoid having my car damaged by some chucklehead squid or HDAH who no doubt is uninsured and/or would take off like a rocket if there was a collision. I'm only protecting my car.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #41
PizzaHog OP
Thought Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjava
Worth repeating. There are 2.5 times as many avid bird watchers as motorcyclists. Our political clout is almost non existant. After living in California and "sharing" lanes for 6 years now I can't imagine how much it would suck to have it taken away by a irate public, or misguided politician.(they're out there) Don't take it for granted.
The good news is that CHP - who have a particularly effective lobbying arm - have thwarted any attempt to make lanesplitting illegal. It would, it seems, also limit their MC officers' ability to do so, and they don't want to give it up.

So, I'd guess as long as CHP wants to lanesplit, we'll be able to do so.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #42
PizzaHog OP
Thought Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMind
Let me third the call for making them feel the love. If someone gives way, even if accidentally, I wave vigorously when safe. Thanks for looking out for me, friend!
Absolutely! A little good PR never hurt our "cause", it might increase positive awareness for MCs, and it might encourage more folks to give way.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #43
Perp
Museum Piece

Oddometer: 1,303
I had a red Honda Pacific Coast 800. I live in a nonlane split state.
When I wore the white helmet people would see me in their mirror and for a moment might think I was a cop. There would be slowing down, brake lights, ect. They would usually get over enough to let me around them when stopped at lights and for left turns. Worked once when the Interstate was blocked for three miles due to a wreck. Took it slow and easy and some even pulled over to let me thru.
Perp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #44
PizzaHog OP
Thought Criminal

Bump for the riders just realizing how much cheaper and faster commuting on their MC is than in their car....
Old 05-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #45
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,863
Quote:
Out here, we have a million dodge 4X4, 3/4 ton diesel quad cabs with elephant ear side mirrors

Yep, and mine has a eight foot bed with a gooseneck hitch to boot!! I keep a good lookout for motorcycles in those "elephant ear side mirrors" too!
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote