Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #46
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk
I've got one.... Maybe I just missed it but I didn't see anything about making eye-contact in mirrors.

I know you can't make eye-contact with everyone you pass, hell, not even most of them. I usually try to make eye-contact or at least see the eyes or glasses of as many drivers as possible in their mirrors. You can tell a lot about what sombody's about to do by their eyes. I'd say it's kept me out of a situation or two.
I never trust "eye contact" when riding. You never know if what you took for eye contact was them looking right through you. The only thing I trust about cars is the front wheels.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #47
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 465
i'd like to add that when i lived in a state that allowed splitting (never going to happen in mid-atlantic), i was extremely careful and pretty much followed the guidelines pointed out on the first post. but then someone was actually cool and kind enough to move out of my way, especially coming to a light, sort of give me space by moving little to the right (euro syle), or let me get in front easily, i made sure either to lift my left hand as in 'thanks', or, at least, give that driver a nod. it goes a long way, and it makes me feel good to know that chances are this same driver will get out of someones way or keep a cool head next time around.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:10 PM   #48
Tall_Canuck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Cry

Lanesplitting is illegal here.

Bugger.
Tall_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:40 PM   #49
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,308
All very good thoughts. It seems to me that more and more people, intentionally or not, have been trying to squeeze me lately. I've been getting a bit of emergency braking practice lately.

My two comments:

1) Don't fly through traffic. 5-10mph faster is fine. You just don't have enough reaction time in that small space to haul ass.

2) Watch out for dogs in pickups!! Twice this week I had fucking pitbulls try to ambush me from the beds of pickups. And one was while we were moving along at 65+!! Thank doG we have a law in CA that requires owners to tether their dogs in the back of pickups!! The only time I have actually come close to crapping myself was when a golden retreiver dove out the window of a car at me. I don't know how I avoided him and I hope his owner was able to get him back in the car . . .
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:54 AM   #50
Inceptor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I didn't see anyone mention this, but when lane sharing, I always keep two fingers on my front brake lever just in case.
Inceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #51
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inceptor
I didn't see anyone mention this, but when lane sharing, I always keep two fingers on my front brake lever just in case.
Good point. I do it anyways but very good point.

Another tip occurred to me as I was lane sharing on my way in to work this morning:

Keep an eye out for cars with out-of-state license plates. They may come from a state where splitting is illegal and thus not be watching out for lane splitters like the locals do.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 05-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #52
bavarian
bavarian

Oddometer: 1,766
There's lane splitter's heaven - France. I have never been to a country - including Italy - where cagers go out of their way to make room so you can overtake despite oncoming traffic. Not to mention lane splitting in congested traffic. They always make room for you (of course there's that 1% too that try to make it hard, but overall very polite and thoughtful drivers)
bavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #53
SFmax

Oddometer: n/a
I thought it was interesting the ammount of folks referencing making room for faster riders behind them who were also splitting. I've found that splitting is all about forward momentum..baisically when to speed up when you identify a hazardous driver in order to get past them. My last care is who is behind me, considering taking my eyes off the lane ahead for a split second could kill me, I generally ignore riders behind me and let them figure out how to get around if they really want to.

Not being a jerk or anything. Its just more dangerous for me to look out for another rider who wants to go a couple mph faster. So I don't give a shit generally. When splitting on the highway there are many lanes to choose from anyways. So keep your eyes on the road and don't worry about me if I'm behind you. Ride safe. I'll deal.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #54
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,817
I bought my woman a CB400F and started riding it around LA to keep it exercised and HOLY CRAP is it an amazing little bike for traffic.

It will go 80+ mph, and it fits UNDER all mirrors on the street. The only real bad thing about it is the fact that its so teeny people really just dont see you but if you are really ready for that, you'll be ok.

In heavy traffic, I dont think there is anything better than a bicycle. you can take the 400F some places you probably cant walk...
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #55
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFmax
I thought it was interesting the ammount of folks referencing making room for faster riders behind them who were also splitting. I've found that splitting is all about forward momentum..baisically when to speed up when you identify a hazardous driver in order to get past them. My last care is who is behind me, considering taking my eyes off the lane ahead for a split second could kill me, I generally ignore riders behind me and let them figure out how to get around if they really want to.

Not being a jerk or anything. Its just more dangerous for me to look out for another rider who wants to go a couple mph faster. So I don't give a shit generally. When splitting on the highway there are many lanes to choose from anyways. So keep your eyes on the road and don't worry about me if I'm behind you. Ride safe. I'll deal.

Yes you are. Being a jerk I mean. What 'til a CHP comes up on your ass and you don't see him and move over. I guarantee they will be going faster than you. They can write you a ticket for it. If you don't have time to check your six you shouldn't be splitting lanes. Splitting should only be done between the 1 and 2 lanes. That's the two farthest to the left. So there's not a lot of options if you're doing it right.

I don't get too anxious to pass another rider but it doesn't take a lot of effort to drop into traffic and let me by if I've caught you from behind. If you just block my way mile after mile then you are, in fact, being a jerk.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #56
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,439
Quote:

You shouldn't be splitting lanes if you don't have the mental acuity to watch yer 6 AND the cages in front of you.

It don't take much! I've been on both ends of the passing/being passed. NOTHING gets me going as much as some idiot splitting and not paying attention to what's going on around him! I'll give you a few min to get the clue, then I'm going around. I've got better things than sit here while you paddle yer pickle.

M
Old 05-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #57
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:

I agree, without calling you a jerk, with the other two above me that you're wrong. You've got to check your six and you should only be splitting the 1 and 2 lanes. There is plenty of time to check your mirrors safely while splitting. If you're so focused that you can't check your mirrors you're too focused and you've lost situational awareness.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #58
old wanderer
Old quick guy

Oddometer: 371
As I had posted earlier, I have been lane splitting for more than 50 years in CA. Now I just moved to WA where they get upset at +10 MPH... and write $300 tickets for it....

Back to the theme, one night I was going to a bike night in Pasadena and was threading my way through evening traffic. Up ahead was 2 cars in the 1 and 2 lanes side by side going exactly the same speed, so I slid between the 2 of them as the road curved. Dang those little dot bumps they put on the lane lines just raised hell with my suspension and my front tire tucked out a bit and just touched the front tire of the car I was passing....(I mentioned to the bike following me when we got to Hooter, "boy I bet that scared the woman driving the car.

Moral is don't try and lane spit when you have curves and those little dot bumps....your front end will not stay planted.

Iron Butt #32691

Life begins at 30 but starts to become really fascinating approaching 150!!

2008 KLR 705+
2007 Beta 525RR
2003 Aprilia Futura
2001 Aprilia Falco(2)
2002 Aprilia CapoNord
2000 Honda CBR 600 F4 (Track only)
old wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #59
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
I agree, without calling you a jerk, with the other two above me that you're wrong. You've got to check your six and you should only be splitting the 1 and 2 lanes. There is plenty of time to check your mirrors safely while splitting. If you're so focused that you can't check your mirrors you're too focused and you've lost situational awareness.
There are lots of instances where NOT splitting the 1 - 2 lanes is necessary around Southern Cal - especally around Los Angeles where there are SO many freeway changes. On one freeway on the left, off another on the right, onto another one via the right lanes etc etc.
I agree that most of the time you should be 1-2, its just not the law as far as splitting goes.

I try not to watch my mirror when I split, only because I have already been hit but I think I do a pretty good job of moving over for the squids that need to be splitting at 75 mph when the traffic is stopped.

Any biker should be able to "feel" another biker approaching from their 6.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #60
michelf
motorcyclist

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
I bought my woman a CB400F and started riding it around LA to keep it exercised and HOLY CRAP is it an amazing little bike for traffic.

It will go 80+ mph, and it fits UNDER all mirrors on the street. The only real bad thing about it is the fact that its so teeny people really just dont see you but if you are really ready for that, you'll be ok.

In heavy traffic, I dont think there is anything better than a bicycle. you can take the 400F some places you probably cant walk...
I aggree, in the old days we used to ride yamaha 400 with the handlebars bend in a bit to keep them narrow. Nothing got me through traffic better. No brake fade, engine just never lets up no matter what the heat and traffic density, just damn perfect.
michelf is offline   Reply With Quote