Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #61
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelf
I aggree, in the old days we used to ride yamaha 400 with the handlebars bend in a bit to keep them narrow. Nothing got me through traffic better. No brake fade, engine just never lets up no matter what the heat and traffic density, just damn perfect.
Ya, ive had sportbike bike guys laugh at me when we pull up to the light but when the traffic stops and I go whizzing by between all the cars, and he's stuck and I wave.

Its like having a whole other lane!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #62
SkulefromOslo
Fisherman

Oddometer: 512
Not been reading, but:

If legally "Line-splitting&Filtering", know this: NEWER "FILTER IN FROM THE RIGHT SIDE of big trucs/Lorryes..!, AND ALLWAYS GO "DEFENCIVE"...
SkulefromOslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #63
michelf
motorcyclist

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFmax
I thought it was interesting the ammount of folks referencing making room for faster riders behind them who were also splitting. I've found that splitting is all about forward momentum..baisically when to speed up when you identify a hazardous driver in order to get past them. My last care is who is behind me, considering taking my eyes off the lane ahead for a split second could kill me, I generally ignore riders behind me and let them figure out how to get around if they really want to.

Not being a jerk or anything. Its just more dangerous for me to look out for another rider who wants to go a couple mph faster. So I don't give a shit generally. When splitting on the highway there are many lanes to choose from anyways. So keep your eyes on the road and don't worry about me if I'm behind you. Ride safe. I'll deal.
I dissagree with the others calling you a jerk (assuming you are actually going faster than traffic ). In LA where you have a lot of splitters, this happens quite a bit, and I never tailgate the rider in front. I want the poor bastard to keep his eyes on the road and if he notices me and moves over into a lane (if there is a spot and it not bumper to bumper) then great and thank you. Otherwise, hang back so I have lots of space to manouver, or go around if that is douable to old fashion way.

As for the biker cop going faster....ummm fully loaded harley in heavy LA traffic being held up my somone going 15 faster than traffic is somewhat very good, and if you are holding him up
That is one of the other things dangerous about lane splitting, mortorcyclists. For some reason, they often don't think about another bike comming in between the lanes and pull out to lane split without looking (Honest I didn't see him coming from other bikes is a classice one ).
michelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:32 PM   #64
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelf
I dissagree with the others calling you a jerk (assuming you are actually going faster than traffic ). In LA where you have a lot of splitters, this happens quite a bit, and I never tailgate the rider in front. I want the poor bastard to keep his eyes on the road and if he notices me and moves over into a lane (if there is a spot and it not bumper to bumper) then great and thank you. Otherwise, hang back so I have lots of space to manouver, or go around if that is douable to old fashion way.

As for the biker cop going faster....ummm fully loaded harley in heavy LA traffic being held up my somone going 15 faster than traffic is somewhat very good, and if you are holding him up
That is one of the other things dangerous about lane splitting, mortorcyclists. For some reason, they often don't think about another bike comming in between the lanes and pull out to lane split without looking (Honest I didn't see him coming from other bikes is a classice one ).
I wasn't calling him a jerk, I said he was acting like one. There's a difference. CHP are on BMW's now but they do haul ass when they're lane splitting. I've tried to follow them before but they usually wave me off. I can't keep their pace for long anyway.

I will honk at you if you're holding me up when I'm splitting though. I'm not trying to be mean but I have a rate that I'm comfortable at. It only takes a second to duck into the lane and let me by. I've done it for others quite often, so I know it's not difficult. If you have trouble watching your six and/or getting out of someone's way you're over loaded. You shouldn't be doing what you're doing.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #65
michelf
motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54
I wasn't calling him a jerk, I said he was acting like one. There's a difference. CHP are on BMW's now but they do haul ass when they're lane splitting. I've tried to follow them before but they usually wave me off. I can't keep their pace for long anyway.

I will honk at you if you're holding me up when I'm splitting though. I'm not trying to be mean but I have a rate that I'm comfortable at. It only takes a second to duck into the lane and let me by. I've done it for others quite often, so I know it's not difficult. If you have trouble watching your six and/or getting out of someone's way you're over loaded. You shouldn't be doing what you're doing.
I agree with the pace, you find a pace you are comfortable with, could be a bit faster, bit slower and I know keeping the rithm going is nice. My basic point however was that when I come accross another splitter that is lets say a bit slower, I tend to think of them as a newbi (perhaps wrongly) and try hard to not make them un easy, it's my bit of respect I guess since I don't have much for others on the road I can spare it here
Old 05-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #66
PizzaHog OP
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
It could be that age-old lesson: try to get along with the other kids in the sandbox.

I try my best to get out of others' way if I'm going too slow for them; sometimes I don't/can't get out of the way soon enough for them. In most of those cases, they're pretty impatient, so I don't get too fussed...

But I don't check my mirrors all that much - the threat is ahead and to the sides. [I respectfully disagree with Mike54 - the 1 time I've been down, and the few other times it was close, I was checking my 6 when the car came into my lane. Too many occurrances to be random, IMO.]

I never use my modulator behind another bike; why distract them and make splitting any more dangerous to them?

Nor do I use my modulator when I'm not actively splitting. There's something about the modulating headlight that helps people over the edge of Road Rage when exposed for a minute or more.

Good tip re: out-of-state plates. It seems so obvious once it's pointed out...

And I respectfully disagree with the poster that watches a car's front wheels more than the driver. For me, wheel-watching doesn't work so well - by the time the wheels are cocked, they're already moving into my lane. I really do prefer to check for head movement and/or eye contact - it has worked for me, at least.

Keep the excellent suggestions coming!

PH
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #67
michelf
motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog

And I respectfully disagree with the poster that watches a car's front wheels more than the driver. For me, wheel-watching doesn't work so well - by the time the wheels are cocked, they're already moving into my lane. I really do prefer to check for head movement and/or eye contact - it has worked for me, at least.

PH
On this point, for me it's both, and not so much the wheels, but the front end of the vehicle. Often the wheels dont really move that much but the tires get out of the line their are on. The thing to know is if they are drifting a bit, drifting a lot, chaning lanes, coming to get you, etc. The lane changers will often shoulder check quickly, but could also only use their mirrors and you can't see that from behind. Basically it's all the clues put togheter that gives it away. You can also try to see ahead of them to see if they will have any reasons to move around for further anticipation. Couple that with both sides since you in between, over and over since you passing them and the variables are pretty high.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #68
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog
It could be that age-old lesson: try to get along with the other kids in the sandbox.

I try my best to get out of others' way if I'm going too slow for them; sometimes I don't/can't get out of the way soon enough for them. In most of those cases, they're pretty impatient, so I don't get too fussed...

But I don't check my mirrors all that much - the threat is ahead and to the sides. [I respectfully disagree with Mike54 - the 1 time I've been down, and the few other times it was close, I was checking my 6 when the car came into my lane. Too many occurrances to be random, IMO.]

I never use my modulator behind another bike; why distract them and make splitting any more dangerous to them?

Nor do I use my modulator when I'm not actively splitting. There's something about the modulating headlight that helps people over the edge of Road Rage when exposed for a minute or more.

Good tip re: out-of-state plates. It seems so obvious once it's pointed out...

Keep the excellent suggestions coming!

PH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMax
I thought it was interesting the ammount of folks referencing making room for faster riders behind them who were also splitting. I've found that splitting is all about forward momentum..baisically when to speed up when you identify a hazardous driver in order to get past them. My last care is who is behind me, considering taking my eyes off the lane ahead for a split second could kill me, I generally ignore riders behind me and let them figure out how to get around if they really want to.

Not being a jerk or anything. Its just more dangerous for me to look out for another rider who wants to go a couple mph faster. So I don't give a shit generally. When splitting on the highway there are many lanes to choose from anyways. So keep your eyes on the road and don't worry about me if I'm behind you. Ride safe. I'll deal.
Before this gets too off track. I've highlighted the passages I was reacting to.

I understand people have different comfort levels and I wouldn't presume to force any one to go faster than they want to. But I don't think I should have to stay behind a slower rider because they don't give a shit about letting me by. I'll be patient for a while but after a half a mile or so I'll honk. If you still can't get out of the way then I'll get by as best I can.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:37 PM   #69
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,786
+1 on the SoCal LEOs on BMW RTs splitting fast. I've followed them in the past up to 80 mph in 55 mph traffic. If you can stay within 250 ft or so the cars stay parted nicely. Keeping that 250 distance can be a bitch, & I often have to peel off.

Regarding watching your 6, I modified my Ducati Hypermotard back to normal mirrors as the cool foldout ones on the bike were too wide to split & I have to watch my 6 as there are always faster splitters out there.

My recommendation for the thread is to split on a bike with ABS. I think splitting, which entails riding on pavement joints, paint, Bots Dots, & other crap, not to mention sometimes needing brakes Right Now, that this is one place where its pretty damn hard to argue against ABS. May not work perfect in lots of other riding places, but for me ABS is greatly appreciated when splitting.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:15 AM   #70
michelf
motorcyclist

[quote=SocalRob

My recommendation for the thread is to split on a bike with ABS. I think splitting, which entails riding on pavement joints, paint, Bots Dots, & other crap, not to mention sometimes needing brakes Right Now, that this is one place where its pretty damn hard to argue against ABS. May not work perfect in lots of other riding places, but for me ABS is greatly appreciated when splitting.[/quote]

That's an interesting point. never had abs back when I lived in LA, and at first glance seems like a good idea. You are correct, as the split lane is bad for traction with grease, paint, and of course the debris also tends to gather there. But now that I have experianced ABS in various cars and the the bike, I wounder. An old incident comes to mind, I was on the way to passedena, at rush hour in the downtown are on the freeway. Going way to fast of course, traffic is barely moving but I'm hauling ass like on a mission from God.

In that section the freeway is only 3 lanes and it's very tight, much closer lanes than the other freeways, and very damn slick. So again hauling ass, just under the overpass and it gets too tight, wigling wont do it, I have to grab some hard front brakes to scrub off some speed, and try to manouver without the counter steering effect. We'll the front slides out, I hit the car on the right with the handlebar and a bit of elbow, let go the front brakes and bike straightens right up and gets me throught the tight spot and I keep going.

Ok so besides what I'm sure wi'll be a few harsh comment, the ABS question I'm thinking about is the loss of control on the bike with them, or more like loss of feel. Like on the gravel I have to turn the ABS off, otherwise I'll never know where and how the thing will stop, and on a greased up road the ABS does like ... nothing. That is plain freaky on many levels.

I can see huge benefits with ABS so I'm not knocking it, but just like I said, woundering at some situations if they are indeed a good thing or a bad thing, and splitting lanes is one place I'm not sure, but don't have any hands on experiance with them.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:07 AM   #71
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
I don't like the ABS II on my K1100RS when lanesplitting. It tends to do funky things to the rear wheel when braking on road nipples. I can deal with it but it is a slight annoyance.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #72
justacommuternow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
not to hijack the thread, but this week I flew from the SF Bay Area (home and lane splitting central) to Washington Dulles airport. In the taxi, stuck in traffic, heading into Virginia, a guy on a sportbike was sitting next to me, stop and go, stop and go, clutch, clutch, clutch - two beautiful wide open lanes to lane split in and I guess it's illegal in Virginia!?! I don't know. But it was painful watching this poor guy not being able to lane split right up the middle. What moron would write a stupid law like that???
"The first day or so we all pointed to our countries. The third or fourth day we were pointing to our continents. By the fifth day we were aware of only one Earth." ...aboard the 18th flight of Space Shuttle Discovery, June 1985.
justacommuternow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:14 AM   #73
Inceptor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Guys keep in mind that in California, lane sharing is legal but lane splitting is illegal. You can't straddle the line between lanes, you need to be in one lane and only if there is room for both vehicles and it is safe to do so.
Inceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:27 AM   #74
motorradfahrer
leichtmetallpferdereiter

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by justacommuternow
not to hijack the thread, but this week I flew from the SF Bay Area (home and lane splitting central) to Washington Dulles airport. In the taxi, stuck in traffic, heading into Virginia, a guy on a sportbike was sitting next to me, stop and go, stop and go, clutch, clutch, clutch - two beautiful wide open lanes to lane split in and I guess it's illegal in Virginia!?! I don't know. But it was painful watching this poor guy not being able to lane split right up the middle. What moron would write a stupid law like that???
AFAIK it is illegal in every state but California.
...I will be as the housefly. The actions of the earthly world will unfold with liquid slowness because they are seen a thousand times faster than I had seen them. I will react and streak away from a car as a fly flees the clumsy hand - with impunity and grace.
motorradfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #75
PizzaHog OP
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Small rant

[rant] Normally, I'm a live-and-let-live kind of guy. But, after following some schmoe for about 30 minutes today, I almost had to make an exception.

This assclown simply wouldn't yield his position in front of me. In free-flowing traffic, he would goose it just enough to stay ahead, preventing me from passing.

I did eventually get ahead of him, only for him to make his move immediately prior to where the morning commute/split almost always begins and pull in front of me again.

...And proceed to slow way down and display some of the jerkiest lanesplitting I've ever seen. Hard acceleration, hard braking; zero "flow", no acknowledgement of people sliding over for us.

This ass-clown was so bad, we were passed by 3x bikes that decided going around us in the 2-3 split was better than suffering behind this idiot. A fourth bike tried to go around, but ass-clown decided to speed up enough to make going around us too tough. I let bike #4 pull in front of me, so he could ride ass-clown's tailpipe.

I still don't like passing/being passed in the 2-3 split, but this morning it sure was understandable. It was so bad, I even considered [but didn't] using my headlight modulator on him.

[/rant]

Please note that I specifically limited my complaining to this idiot's riding style and lack of consideration, and very specifically didn't mention that the bastard was a little/short man on a large Harley cruiser [non-Road King] of some sort, evidently over-compensating for something "lacking" in his world.

Ooops...
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote