Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2008, 09:00 AM   #91
PizzaHog OP
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
*sigh* While I'm glad it all eventually worked out for you, I'm sorry that they imposed themselves on you. Bike cops...

They could be right, that lanesplitting is safer. I think it is, but despite claims to the contrary there is no clear proof that it is.

I wonder what would have happened if they had issued you a ticket or you had called their watch commander...
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #92
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelf
Not sure sure about that. WHen I first got there, I was told in no uncertain term by 2 motorcylce cops that I better lane split, and they physically showed me how on 10 from downtown to santa monica. They pulled me over for not lane splitting basically. Told me my riding was unsafe here. After a bit, I understood what they meant and they were right.
lots of bikers die around here every year because cagers ARE JUST NOT PAYING ATTENTION and they inadvertently smash into a bike that's in front of them.

Its MUCH safer around here to be in between cars than behind and in front of them. I cant tell you how many times a car has come from behind me trying to stop in time, and would have hit me had I not ducked in between the moron parade.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #93
AirForceDirt
"Give me back my face!!"

Oddometer: 522
Okay, so this is just my teenager thoughts on the lane-splitting thing, and after 16 years on a motorcycle in one way or another, it has to count for something. Personally, I don't care how bad traffic is or how much of a hurry I'm in, or how much "its not illegal" I will never lane split. I grew up in staes where it was illegal and I have an aversion to being exposed in between 3000 pound iron boxes. Its not any fun. I'll wait in traffic and watch all y'all crazies zip past me. Now, If I'm ever in a car driving and i see a bike coming up behind lanesplitting, i won't move out of the way, nor will i block you. But if you hit my car, I will have absolutely no pity for you bleeding on the asphault. Nothing against those of you who do suchly, but I don't trust drivers that much, and I'd rather crash doing something spectacular, instead of just trying to get somewhere a little earlier.

Let the flaming commence...
DISCLAIMER: I do not represent the views of the United States Air Force, The Department of Defense, or any Agency alfiliated with the U.S government. Anything I say/post is my own thoughts and opinions unless referenced factual evidence.
AirForceDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #94
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Do you guys lane split on 2 lane roads? I saw a jerk on a Harley today weaving back and forth around traffic on a 4 lane just before the right lane turned right at a stoplight and leaving only 2 lanes.

He got a whole 8 cars ahead so he could speed down and sit at the next stoplight. It made no sense. I suppose I could see it being useful in heavy interstate traffic. But off the interstate it just seems stupid and rude to other drivers.
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #95
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDirt
Okay, so this is just my teenager thoughts on the lane-splitting thing, and after 16 years on a motorcycle in one way or another, it has to count for something. Personally, I don't care how bad traffic is or how much of a hurry I'm in, or how much "its not illegal" I will never lane split. I grew up in staes where it was illegal and I have an aversion to being exposed in between 3000 pound iron boxes. Its not any fun. I'll wait in traffic and watch all y'all crazies zip past me. Now, If I'm ever in a car driving and i see a bike coming up behind lanesplitting, i won't move out of the way, nor will i block you. But if you hit my car, I will have absolutely no pity for you bleeding on the asphault. Nothing against those of you who do suchly, but I don't trust drivers that much, and I'd rather crash doing something spectacular, instead of just trying to get somewhere a little earlier.
its not a matter of the hurry etc, its a matter of going three miles in as many hours - I dont know one motorcycle that doesnt overheat by sitting still.... and I dont particularly enjoy hanging out on the side any freeway, let alone any in Ca.

I also asure you, that in heavy traffic, you are MUCH more safe between cars than behind and infront them.

You dont have to lane split, but its just a way of life around sothern california. Frankly, Im suprised that its not legal in more states.

When I went to Seattle last summer with the woman, the GS got hot in traffic and we were hanging out on the side of the road letting her cool off and a trooper told me to get moving and I told him I couldnt because the bike overheated.

Trooper
"why are you just standing here?"

"My bike overheated becuase I cant lane split"

"Well you've gotta get moving"

"I cant, my bike overheated because I cant lane split. The bike is just going to overheat again if I leave now"

"Well, you've gotta get moving"

"... I CANT.... "

etc etc
Quote:
Old 06-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #96
michelf
motorcyclist

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog
*sigh* While I'm glad it all eventually worked out for you, I'm sorry that they imposed themselves on you. Bike cops...

They could be right, that lanesplitting is safer. I think it is, but despite claims to the contrary there is no clear proof that it is.

I wonder what would have happened if they had issued you a ticket or you had called their watch commander...
In that alternate universe I would probably be posting about all the maniacs lane splitting and I would never, ever, do such a dangerous thing
michelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #97
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelf
In that alternate universe I would probably be posting about all the maniacs lane splitting and I would never, ever, do such a dangerous thing
I would have to say, without a doubt, a spirited ride down a rural highway is just as dangerous as splitting the 405.
Quote:
Old 06-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #98
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,154
Quote:

Even if you wait in traffic you're still between "3000 pound iron boxes". They have greater velocity when they hit you as you wait in traffic too. Seriously, it may look dangerous but I feel safer between lanes than in the lane when the traffic is stop and go.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #99
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54
Even if you wait in traffic you're still between "3000 pound iron boxes". They have greater velocity when they hit you as you wait in traffic too. Seriously, it may look dangerous but I feel safer between lanes than in the lane when the traffic is stop and go.
+1. If you're on the freeway you're between cars.

I note that almost everyone who has expressed a negative opinion of lane splitting is not from California. I've only been to maybe 10 or 15 other states but I can unequivocally state that, outside of New York City, I have never seen worse traffic than in California. I don't feel like I could travel the freeways around here without lane splitting.

Fwiw, it's also legal to lane split in the UK and most of Europe.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #100
Tiras
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Im from Oregon but we travel down to Southern California quite a bit during the year and before I started riding I thought lane splitting was just insane. Now that I've been riding for 4 years it absolutely drives me freaking nuts that other states don't allow it. It is purely unsafe to sit in stop and go traffic on a motorcycle. It also cuts down on traffic as bikes get to go right to the front, I fail to see the problem there. You can't honestly say you don't worry about getting rear ended every time you stop at a red light by some dumbass on their cell phone. If you were in between the cars in the front of the line that would almost be a non issue.

I cherish the time I get to spend between the cars when I ride to California. I feel safer riding there than anywhere. I won't lie and say I've never done it in Oregon, but only very rarely when it was 100+ outside and I just couldn't sit through 3 light cycles in full gear while the bike just roasts beneath me. Also the town I live in you rarely need to be commuting or going anywhere on the freeway for that matter so you're in stop and go, just red light to red light 99% of your ride in town. If lanesplitting was legalized here, Im not exactly sure how drivers would react. They'd probably do some of the dumb shit others have posted... Like opening their doors or swerving their 8 foot lifted pickup with 5 foot tires over so I couldn't get by. Ignorance is bliss I guess. They don't realize we'd actually be making less traffic for them. I do however see drivers with California plates always move a little to the right or left (depending on which lane they're in) to let me by and they always look puzzled when I just sit back breathing their exhaust.

God I love California... Split a lane for me today while I sit at a red light with a target on my back. Enjoy it fellas!
"It's 2:00am; I have run out of gas, been attacked by a wild animal, played the running of the bulls on a major roadway and repaired an equipment malfunction. I have traveled a total of 22.5 miles in 3 hours and I can still see the New York skyline. This is going to be a very long ride." - Rogue 1

'04 KLR650
'04 BMW R1150R
Tiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #101
Reprobate
Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer: 6,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdachain
Lane Splitting 201:

Don't do it and get sandwiched into hamburger.
Fixed for California and Europe.

Quote:
I have an aversion to being exposed in between 3000 pound iron boxes...
So, if you don't lane-split you're not exposed to being between 3000 pound iron boxes?

Maybe you don't keep up with research like MAIDS, but don't you know that the chances of being sandwiched between the car in front of you and the car behind you are way higher than being sandwiched between cars during lane-splitting.

And as to your comment of not moving out of the way for filtering motorcycles - it's the asshole attitude that makes traffic so dangerous, everyone thinking about irritating each other instead of being courteous and not taking every little transgression personal. So, lighten up and don't be an asshole - karma is a bitch.
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.

Reprobate screwed with this post 06-05-2008 at 08:59 AM
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #102
motorradfahrer
leichtmetallpferdereiter

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
When I went to Seattle last summer with the woman, the GS got hot in traffic and we were hanging out on the side of the road letting her cool off and a trooper told me to get moving and I told him I couldnt because the bike overheated.

Trooper
"why are you just standing here?"

"My bike overheated becuase I cant lane split"

"Well you've gotta get moving"

"I cant, my bike overheated because I cant lane split. The bike is just going to overheat again if I leave now"

"Well, you've gotta get moving"

"... I CANT.... "

etc etc
Ain't they just the sharpest tools in the shed.

Had a very similar experience when I tried to slowly cruise down an empty turn lane past totally stopped traffic (whom I wasn't cheating, they were not turning). Well sir, I'm not interested in overheating or in being rear-ended by one of your pig-faced 10000lb-SUV-driving twelfth-cousin-sister-aunts who charges up on me from behind and (maybe) slams on the brakes.

Them tha'rs the law citizen, y'all signed up for it whin yer didn't bah a proper 'Murkin vehicle of 6000lbs or more. These here folks is feelin cheated by yew gittin ta go home faster. Don't matter to them none that yer gittin outta their way quicker. Now git back on yer Eurofagcycle 'n crawl the next 1/2 mile to yer city-boy exit.
...I will be as the housefly. The actions of the earthly world will unfold with liquid slowness because they are seen a thousand times faster than I had seen them. I will react and streak away from a car as a fly flees the clumsy hand - with impunity and grace.
motorradfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #103
bongodave
Join my cult!

Oddometer: 40,002
Oh, another observation...

A guy I sorta know went down when he hit a mirror on the right side. It locked up his front brake.

Some wrap-around barkbusters could have prevented that. And, yes, I know it's better to just not hit mirrors! Dude's a squid, and I won't ride with him.

And a wave to courteous drivers is good PR for all of us. Flippin' off the bad drivers, while satisfying in the short term, isn't going to make them more polite to the next bike they encounter.
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #104
motorradfahrer
leichtmetallpferdereiter

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodave
Oh, another observation...

A guy I sorta know went down when he hit a mirror on the right side. It locked up his front brake.

Some wrap-around barkbusters could have prevented that. And, yes, I know it's better to just not hit mirrors! Dude's a squid, and I won't ride with him.

And a wave to courteous drivers is good PR for all of us. Flippin' off the bad drivers, while satisfying in the short term, isn't going to make them more polite to the next bike they encounter.
Hmm, another good excuse, I mean reason, to get those sweet 2-finger Pazzo levers.

...I will be as the housefly. The actions of the earthly world will unfold with liquid slowness because they are seen a thousand times faster than I had seen them. I will react and streak away from a car as a fly flees the clumsy hand - with impunity and grace.
motorradfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #105
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
... Now, If I'm ever in a car driving and i see a bike coming up behind lanesplitting, i won't move out of the way, nor will i block you. But if you hit my car, I will have absolutely no pity for you bleeding on the asphault. Nothing against those of you who do suchly, but I don't trust drivers that much, and I'd rather crash doing something spectacular, instead of just trying to get somewhere a little earlier.

OK, I'll flame you. You're a dick. Why would you not move over a little and make it safer for everyone involved? Moving over for the lanesplitter reduces the chances of an accident. And on a packed freeway there's a good chance that other vehicles might be involved (chain reaction) causing injury or death. So, you're not only being a dick to someone who is doing something legally (in CA) but you're putting everyone around you at higher risk needlessly. Hence you're a dick.

You're also a dick because you'll have no pity for a fellow rider who gets in an accident while riding legally. WTF is wrong with you?
duck is offline   Reply With Quote