ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
LarryB OP
Baja GPS Maps, LBMaps.com

Oddometer: 73
tracks from SanFancisquito to San Ignacio???

I'm starting to plan for a November ride from SanDiego to Cabo with as little pavement as possible. I'm looking for a route between SanFancisquito to San Ignacio that's more easterly than the '06 Baja1000. Anyone know of a way thru here?? Also I would like a route from Agua Verde to San Evaristo so we can stay on the Cortez side from Loreto to LaPaz if possible.

Any help appreciated.

Larry
Attached Images

LarryB screwed with this post 09-21-2007 at 06:24 PM
LarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,329
Larry:

Did you find a way through? That coast is pretty darned rugged north of San Evaristo.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
LarryB OP

No, not really. We almost had a deal with a pescadero to load all three of us and our bikes into a panga at Agua Verde but he wanted $300 to make the 120mi round trip to Evaristo. We figured we were here to ride not droun so we decided to pick our way via as south easterly direction as possible. Man there are a lot of uncharted roads and trails east of Constitution. We spent the whole day trying and made it most of the way, finally giving up for the day as we ran out of light and camped in the mountains beside the road about 50mi short of Evaristo. How fun!!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,329
Larry,

I've spent some time riding out there, and that area west of San Evaristo is utterly fantastic. We were lucky to have found gas at Gonzaga, or I'd still be there. I also ended up camping about 50 miles from Evaristo, in the middle of nowhere. It was great.

I plan to get back there in Feb/March, and will [hopefully] log a bunch of those tracks with the GPS. I'll forward those tracks on to you for inclusion if you don't already have them.

GP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB
No, not really. We almost had a deal with a pescadero to load all three of us and our bikes into a panga at Agua Verde but he wanted $300 to make the 120mi round trip to Evaristo. We figured we were here to ride not droun so we decided to pick our way via as south easterly direction as possible. Man there are a lot of uncharted roads and trails east of Constitution. We spent the whole day trying and made it most of the way, finally giving up for the day as we ran out of light and camped in the mountains beside the road about 50mi short of Evaristo. How fun!!

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
LarryB OP

Cool, I can always use info for those uncharted areas.

I left my XR650 in Los Barriles and My two riding partners left theirs in Cabo. We plan to fly back down in Feb, get the bikes and then ride back up to San Diego. We havn't made firm dates yet and we're still working on a route. Have you made any firm plans?

Old 03-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB
I'm starting to plan for a November ride from SanDiego to Cabo with as little pavement as possible. I'm looking for a route between SanFancisquito to San Ignacio that's more easterly than the '06 Baja1000. Anyone know of a way thru here?? Also I would like a route from Agua Verde to San Evaristo so we can stay on the Cortez side from Loreto to LaPaz if possible.

Any help appreciated.

Larry

Yes, there is a way though the mountians from Francisquito to Ignacio, much of it very tech bushwhack through big, steep rock gardens, and nebulous single track. Definately no woosies allowed. Its about 140 miles if you dont get lost or do any backtracking. Unfortunately I dont have a track of the ride as my track log had filled up before hitting Francisquito.

I am planning on doing that ride again this spring and will share the track and hopefuly some pics when I get it logged. The route took us about 13 hours and was filled with alot of backtracking due to hitting dead ends, and we were lucky it didnt take longer. The last 4 hours were in the dark and that was not fun, but seemed better than a forced bivy with no gear. If you know exactly where you are going I would anticipate the ride taking about 9 hours. The route is for dirt bikes only and at least strong intermediate off road riders. A factory rider might be able to do it on a big bike, but the bike would probably be a pile of parts by the end of the ride. Towing a wounded bike out of the bush on this ride would be out of the question. Plenty of drinking water (very important), tube patches, JB weld and zip ties and extra fuel (150 mile range minimum!) are required. I had a 4.5 gal tank on a DRZ, carried a spare gallon and was almost on reserve when I rolled into Rice and Beans. You may want to be mentally prepared for a possible no gear bivy (or two) if you get completely fukulated.

All that said, its one of the best rides I have ever done in Baja.

crashmaster screwed with this post 03-18-2008 at 11:13 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
Captain Canuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
On our ride from Yuma to La Ventana this Feb. We did the route from San Francisquito to San Ignacio. We started in BA of La (two DRZ 400's) and it took 13 hours including a beer and taco stop at San fran and one flat repair in the dark. The track log is attached. San fran to San Ignacio was about 9 hours including one 15 minute break

Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 20080221.gpx (566.2 KB, 530 views)

XR 650R
Gas Gas 320
DHC-2 (when moto's are too slow)
Captain Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck
On our ride from Yuma to La Ventana this Feb. We did the route from San Francisquito to San Ignacio. We started in BA of La (two DRZ 400's) and it took 13 hours including a beer and taco stop at San fran and one flat repair in the dark. The track log is attached. San fran to San Ignacio was about 9 hours including one 15 minute break

Enjoy
That looks fairly close to the route I did of course we got offroute plenty of times. Finding the right way though was a challenge. Had one of you guys done the route before?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
Captain Canuck
Adventurer

Hadn't done the route before, but had a GPS track from before the wash out - compliments of " ayatollah". Between that track log and some information i heard about a bypass around the wash out. It worked out pretty smooth. The beginning of the bypass has had a small cat go thru it recently it so it was easy to find.

Lots of deep sand, (even for the Baja) I think my bike was glad it was February and not any hotter.

Cheers.

XR 650R
Gas Gas 320
Old 04-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Hadn't done the route before, but had a GPS track from before the wash out - compliments of " ayatollah". Between that track log and some information i heard about a bypass around the wash out. It worked out pretty smooth. The beginning of the bypass has had a small cat go thru it recently it so it was easy to find.

Lots of deep sand, (even for the Baja) I think my bike was glad it was February and not any hotter.

Cheers.
Interesting, I did the ride about 2 years ago, yes deep, deep, soft pillowy sand, but alot of single track and bushwack too. We had no idea where we were going, only some sketchy info and directions (big rock next to tree, go left ) kind of stuff,. and of course a gps to tell us if we were totally fuckulated. I was going to go do the route again last week, but my buddy's schedule dictated that we stay in the far north and do a little loop. Ah, maybe in the fall, its heating up in the low desert pretty good right now and I dont fancy doing that route in 100*+ heat.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 14,650
Quote:

Cheers.
......how about that cat/dozer in the middle of nowhere?. must have been quite a trek on that to get it where it was.

BTW, we went right instead of left trying to get to San Gertrudis and dead ended at Santa Barbara ranch.. Juan at the gate said not passable, but google earth may show different.

BTW, I can give my track log up to the santa barbara area, but Canuks is the right way and mucho better .

some pics thru that area.

end of the trail to the west

we doubled back to try to get around and bounced thru this wash for awhile ...the XR650Rs didn't seem to like it

freeflow screwed with this post 04-14-2008 at 12:02 PM
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #12
Captain Canuck
Adventurer

I have been eyeballing that line from Gertudis to Santa Barbara for a few years. Perhaps it's worth checking out from the other end????

Speaking of Dozers, I have never seen so many Dozers and Graders on the roads throughout the Baja as I did this year. Good for the locals = bad for motos. Better ride as many as we can before more tracks are "improved".

Cheers

XR 650R
Gas Gas 320
Old 08-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #13
PAB
Baja Junkie

Can you ride it South to North? Is there anything impassable in that direction?
PAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #14
Captain Canuck
Adventurer

When we went thru last spring it would have rode equally as well in both directions if i recall. The only exception might be the Santa Barbara aroyo, riding N to S you ride down that aroyo. Lots of deep sand and I seem to remember thinking I was happy to be riding down it instead of up.

XR 650R
Gas Gas 320
Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #15
cactusreid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
this ride is on my hit list,maybe next time down there.
cactusreid is offline   Reply With Quote