User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
Rockhammer OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Yukon / Alaska / Western Canada 2014

So after way too long without a ride, I decided to get back in the game and start planning some epicness. Sorry, Iím too lazy to write a trip report or post pics, instead Iím all about trying to recreate the experience in video form.

Thanks to all of you inmates who had previously posted great trip reports, I was able to spend the winter planning my getaway. In the interest of giving back, I offer my advice to anyone who may be contemplating a similar route.

Thumbs up gear:
- Heidenau K60ís. You do not need to swap out tires on your trip, these are long-life tires and will do it all. Iíve now got 12,000 KMís on mine and they look like theyíve got half of that left in them yet.
- Madstad windscreen & bracket. The ability to change your angle & height makes life so much more comfortable. Night and day day difference from both the stock and tall Tenere shields which are crap.
- Oxford heated grips. Donít leave home without them. These are simple to install, are more comfortable, and definitely crank heat!
- SPOT tracker. Since I was alone most of the time, my family really appreciated being able to log in and see where I was at.

Thumbs up camping:
- Cypress Hills Park, Saskatchewan / Alberta. A jewel in the heart of the prairies, plus the elevation keeps the heat down.
- Rampart Creek Campground, Alberta. About 1/2 way between Lake Louise and Jasper. This oneís a gem, unlike the big National Park campgrounds, this oneís quiet & private.
- Forestry Trunk Road, Alberta. Many Provincial Park campgrounds along the way and/or many opportunities to commando camp if you wish.
- Cottonwood RV Park, Kluane Lake. Almost all sites are right on the water. Very clean, scenic, & reasonable.
- Robert Service Campground, Whitehorse. Cool hippie vibe. Ask if you can ride your bike to the back sites, theyíre more private & quiet.
- BC Parks. Yeah, all of them, this Province knows how to design and maintain good campgrounds.

What else you need to know:
- Alaska Marine Ferry. I was originally going to pitch my tent on the back of the boat, but am glad I didnít, the diesel fumes would have choked me out. Sleeping under the heated veranda would have been fine, but in the open deck at the back itís very noticeable. The ferry is a great way to travel, itís like a poor manís Alaska Cruise de-Disneyfied.
- Bear Spray. Yeah, having it is one thing, but make sure you actually keep it on your person. I learned that lesson the hard way after a grizzly walked into my neighbourís campsite right at suppertime!!
- Parks pass. If youíre going through Banff or Jasper anyways, buy the Parks Canada Discovery pass. This allows you free entry to many of the Dawson City historical sites, walking tours, and Dredge #4 tour.
- Weather & timing. I purposely chose August because I hoped to see the tundra in fall colours and wanted to avoid the excessive light and mosquitoes that June brings. Even though I didnít make it past Tombstone park, that area was starting to turn colour, so check in that regard. And I literally only had to apply bug spray one day of the whole trip, so check in that regard. However, August is traditionally wetter, so be prepared.
- Stewart / Hyder. Is very cool, if youíre going right by it, take the time to stop in. Have dinner at the Dash Bistro, itís the locally recommended gourmet food truck. And of course, make the sure to drive up to the Salmon glacier, itís pretty spectacular.
- Expectations. Yeah itís a big Territory, and youíre likely not going to see everything in one trip. And the weather definitely plays a part, I got shut down on both my Dempster and Telegraph Creek plans because of rain. While you may want that picture of you and your bike at the Arctic Circle, remember that you also want to return home in one piece to hug your family.

Hope this has been a help. If anyone wants any other info, feel free to PM me.

Cheers!!
Rockhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Backcountryboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Thumb

Excellent video and music. I rode the Dempster to the Arctic Circle from Vancouver this year and your video really caught the flavour of the trip. Not only that it gives me ideas for some Forest Road riding in Alberta.
Backcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
snoofus
FNG

Oddometer: 11
Great video, thanks for posting it. What's the tune?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
Rockhammer OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
"Down to the Valley" by Little Axe.

I heard it in a non-motorcycle travel video and knew it would come in handy someday.
Rockhammer is offline   Reply With Quote