Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2007, 02:01 AM   #166
kejago
Kev. Haute Savoie, France

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey

Here's a teaser for the next installment.

See the similarity?

K: Kejago - That's me!
T: Travel - Go on a journey, go on a voyage, go from one place to another
M: Machine - Man-made device made up of interconnected parts that work together to perform a given task or function
kejago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:37 AM   #167
Mayertb
Beancounter

Oddometer: 25
Wow

What a fantastic trip, I would love to do somthing like this someday. MORE PLEASE. I am actually in Pretoria, RSA right now on a business trip and I am really wishing I had the time and money to rent a bike and explore your country for a while.

Awsome trip guys.
Mayertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:52 AM   #168
kbear
Mudbiker

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by michnus
Between the 5 of them they had 5L of water, and there's no water around. They did direct us to a pool of water, but I doubt even a very thirsty animal would rather abstain from drinking at that small murky brown puddle.

The boy was incredibly brave, his arm was all skew from the fracture and his eyes as big as saucer, he was really scared. When they cross the Kunene river they still had a day or two to travel to get to a clinic or Doctor.
I hope and pray to God that this boy finds good medical attention. Indeed, stuff like this makes one appreciate all one has.

kbear
kbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:01 AM   #169
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,097
He sure will find medical attention, chances are it's not going to be top notch medical attention, but he will be okay. The Himba and Herero people are really a tough bunch, man, all the people living there are tough asses.

The kids and toddlers there must be healthy, there are no doctors or pharmacies in hundred of miles and they must walk where they want to be. The kids are definitely healthier than our urban dwellers with all their vitamins and pills they suck away everyday.

The other freaky thing we must understand is, the people have much less money than the average person on this forum, but they are not "poor", they don't have as much belongings as us, but that does not make them poor. They measure value in cattle, a 125cc motorcycle will cost them 4 cows. That's their lifes and that's how they live it, full out. You are their equal and they treat you that way, your wealth means bugger all to them.

michnus screwed with this post 09-30-2007 at 10:16 AM
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:32 AM   #170
Some-Young-Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Just wanted to say thank you...

Guys, that was a great story to read and the pictures were fantastic. Great job and what an adventure. This is adventure riding at its best!!! Thanks again for the post!

2004 BMW R1150GS

ATGATT Rider

"At the age of thirteen I experienced an epiphany when I realized that liberalism is nothing more than a mental disorder. I've been clear headed and self motivated since and this, more than anything else, has served me well." SYG
Old 09-30-2007, 11:03 AM   #171
praveenkm
Speed Demon

Oddometer: 313
This is getting bettor and bettor. Awesome adventure report

may be you can rejenuvate this dead thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270229

praveenkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:11 AM   #172
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,367
Awesome adventure!! Thanks!!

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:06 PM   #173
Cara Pálida
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey
Wildlife was few and far between. The elephant and rhino that was in this area had been wiped out during the war years. I remember that our Senior rank structure used to hunt with assault rifles from choppers. There was also a devastating drought in the early eighties.

We did see some though, springbok, oryx, monkeys, jackal and such. Not really good enough for pictures though.
Thanks, MJ!

Uzay words, are my words too!
Pro ride report!
Seems that are more to come?
Obrigado!

Abraços,
PGF

Cara Pálida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:34 AM   #174
Damir
AKA Pudla

Oddometer: 379
Excellent report, thanks for sharing.

Tunisia ride report

Ukraine, Russia and Romania

Croatian Backroads
Damir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #175
XCAV8R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Outstanding report!

Quote:
Just as a quick aside, remember the shell worn by the Himba women? This is why I said it's a big deal. Imagine crossing this on foot.
Assuming the young woman wearing the shell did not cross the desert herself, how would she aquire the shell or anything like it? Are there markets or brokers or something similar? What, if anything, do they use for currency (besides cattle) and what type work do they do to get it? Don't mean to draw you too far off the topic of your ride report but this is very interesting.
XCAV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #176
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,285
Himba

Himba's

You can start here;

Himba's

What I know of them;

Himba’s are an amazing race of people who are semi-nomadic cattle barons. They have a very rich culture that is expressed in their dress and customs. They smear themselves head to toe with a red ochre and butterfat mixture. It has a strong alien smell to us but I know that they think we stink just as bad to them. They have a complex and highly ritualized language that would make the French look uncouth. They are polite and friendly and never imposing or aggressive. A bad habit that some of the younger kids have learned on the more well trodden paths is to shout for you to stop to give them sweets. Something that travellers to this part of the world have wrongly encouraged and it has eroded the image of the proud Himba nation a bit. It is better to trade tobacco, sewing needles or flour for photo’s and low value bangles.

It is really bad form to try and trade for their status adornments such as their metal neck/waist bands and shells and the more unique pieces. As they are incredibly polite and sometimes naive, I have seen some 4x4 tourists trade a paltry amount of money for these highly traditional and culturally significant items.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #177
flan8tive
Flea Tibet!

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanya
Himba's

You can start here;

Himba's

What I know of them;

Himba’s are an amazing race of people who are semi-nomadic...They smear themselves head to toe with a red ochre and butterfat mixture. It has a strong alien smell to us but I know that they think we stink just as bad to them... They are polite and friendly and never imposing or aggressive. A bad habit that some of the younger kids have learned on the more well trodden paths is to shout for you to stop to give them sweets...It is better to trade tobacco, sewing needles or flour for photo’s and low value bangles.
...As they are incredibly polite and sometimes naive, I have seen some 4x4 tourists trade a paltry amount of money for these highly traditional and culturally significant items.
Very good points. Africans in general are loathe to tell you "no", their culture does not permit it. Africans will general give you the answer they think you want. Interestingly, the Himba I ran into were trading handiwork for cash in NW Namibia did not smell at all, but it was wintertime. IF you are just passing by and must have a picture, offer money in exchange; hold 5 fingers to signify $5 (Rand, or the Angolan equivalent) and mime a camera. They may write on their arm with a pebble the number 20; offer 10 and everyone is happy.

So where is the rest of this ride going...up the Angolan coastline?

80 Z50R

flan8tive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #178
Grad
Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,256
Incredible report, can't wait for more!!!
Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:22 AM   #179
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,772
...just...wow....
INCREDIBLE!!!!

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:47 AM   #180
claudio17
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Awesome! Angola is very special to me, I was made there, mother and brother born there.

Keep it up
claudio17 is offline   Reply With Quote