Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2009, 06:03 AM   #1051
kuyaoli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
the most amazing trip report I have ever read. Just f..cking awesome!!!

Thanks for the great insight in this country.

Awesome fellowship!

Great guys - all of you!

Thanks
Old 03-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #1052
Rozzkoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Obrigado!!! Awesomely memorable, just to read!!!!
Rozzkoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:16 AM   #1053
jacaeiro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Angola is sometimes like they say

Hi,

Wonderfull report, I devoured most content...

My name is José (a common Portuguese name I know) and I've been living in Angola for the past 10 years...

Last year I did a similar trip to yours, so it brought me back a lot of memories.

Mine wasn't nearly as dangerous and adventurous. Altough I own a bike here, my offroad riding skills still need a lot of experience before I would try something like that...

We took some 4x4's and went from Luanda to Foz do Cunene. We had though of going through that narrow pass and then came back through Iona. I've heard a lot of reports of people loosing their cars there to bad planning, so I consulted the experts. There's a lodge between Namibe and Tombwa, called the Flamingo Lodge, which do that trip on a regular basis. They told me that in order to cross it you not only have to be aware of the tides, but also of the moon cycles. Usualy the diffence between low tide and high tide is bigger during the full moon cycle or the new moon cycle. That means that those are the only times where that crossing is "safe". since it was neither, and my Patrol was only one week old, and my insurance covered everything except salt water, we decided not to push it.
Nevertheless the ride through Iona was a spectacular one as well...

As to Angola not being like they said... It depends a lot... nowadays there are two Angolas... One being Luanda and the other the rest of Angola. Luanda is rapidly becoming an African urban jungle without any quality of life. People are rude, crime is high, traffic a nightmare, police is very corrupt, etc...
But once you go to the provincies people change...The kind of people you met only live outside Luanda.... I take every oportunitie I get to leave this hell...

Next time you come to Angola,give me a shout... I might join you guys for some adventures...

Enjoy
jacaeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #1054
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Jose,

Um prazer. Eu me chamo Miguel (Mike) e sou costarriquenho.

I have been spending a lot of time in Luanda and Cabinda, almost half the year for the last five years. In Luanda I usually stay at the Tropico or the Alvalade. I've been silent on this ride report until now, but have congratulated metajockey in the background. I think they did an excellent job on describing life out in the countryside. Plus I think it is very commendable that as war veterans they made this journey to a place that they would otherwise view as not so friendly given the history of MPLA/UNITA, South West Africa, South Africa, Cuba, etc.

Yes, Luanda is madness, but at least it appears that some improvements are now being made in the city, and road improvements are continuing to be made throughout Luanda and the interior (including Cabinda). I do enjoy the Ilha when I am in Luanda. Now that the wars have died down perhaps the country will open up a bit more to rugged tourism, and it would be nice if motorcyclists get to see Angola in the raw before the hordes come in and change the place forever.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #1055
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacaeiro
They told me that in order to cross it you not only have to be aware of the tides, but also of the moon cycles. Usualy the diffence between low tide and high tide is bigger during the full moon cycle or the new moon cycle....

As to Angola not being like they said... It depends a lot... nowadays there are two Angolas... One being Luanda and the other the rest of Angola.
Yes, I agree, Spring Low tide would be the time to do that beach section. We messed up in two areas - we only left at low tide and should have gone sooner, and we were there at Neap tide when the tides show least variation.

Last night I watched a documentary about post war Angola, it was shot in Luanda Huambo etc. It seems there are serious challenges faced by the population all over. In cities the challenges are greatest. Like I said, I hate cities.

But Angola is a huge country, just like South Africa, the regions can be so different that it is difficult to see it as one country. We only travelled through a small part, I am sure there are many things, places and people that we missed, that is well worth seeing.
metaljockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:00 AM   #1056
kako180
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Hi guys from Spain ,

i have to say that this is by far one of the best reports i´ve ever read on ADV.

This is a real adventure and not the fancy LWR or LWD , congratulations for the ride but congratulations even more for this excellent report, thanks for posting , this kind of reports make this forum the best riding adventure forum on internet.

Rgds from a ktm´r

Kako
kako180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #1057
IntrepidIndian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
What a fantastic ride!
After just hearing or reading about Angola, this was one fabulous journey for me. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2009, 03:46 AM   #1058
stef25
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
classic ride report ... i was 30 min late at work cause i just couldnt stop reading it at home with my morning coffee. excellent stuff!!
stef25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #1059
prama
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thumb 2nd time reading

Fantastic!!

6 months ago I read this thread.
This week I repeated and it's even better.
I enjoyed all the details.

Two questions for the team:
1. If you had the chance to do it again, what would you do diferently?

2. What was the lenght of that critical sea~desert road and which tide (lowering tide or rising tide) was easier to ride?

You can't imagine the huge impact that your story had on the way I undestand bike adventures. But most of all I'm happy for the way you painted the humble people of Angola.
prama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #1060
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,003
I just spent a Friday evening re-reading this entire report. Awe-inspiring in every aspect! Certainly one of the best ever!
Old 04-25-2009, 07:40 AM   #1061
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by prama
Fantastic!!

6 months ago I read this thread.
This week I repeated and it's even better.
I enjoyed all the details.

Two questions for the team:
1. If you had the chance to do it again, what would you do diferently?

2. What was the lenght of that critical sea~desert road and which tide (lowering tide or rising tide) was easier to ride?

You can't imagine the huge impact that your story had on the way I undestand bike adventures. But most of all I'm happy for the way you painted the humble people of Angola.

I don't know about the other oke's, but there's nothing I would do different, I will do the same in a heart beat. Would love to stay for longer for sure!

Thebest is to ride it in ebb tide, we did it on a normal day, which was a bit stupid, the critical length was 80km, the total lenght we were on the beach was something like 120km or so.
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #1062
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556

Fantastic!

What happens next?
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.

Super Suz screwed with this post 04-27-2009 at 09:35 PM
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:54 AM   #1063
sebas
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 40
Thumb

Fantastic report, very inspiring and some beautiful pics!

I was captivated by the doodsakker part, yikes! I'd be scared shitless in a situation like that.

By the way I'd seen your front page photo a thousand times before reading the report and it's always been one of my favourite.

Cheers!
sebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:13 AM   #1064
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,453
Another congratulations for one of the most inspiring reports I've read. Did you think for a moment when you were riding that your experience would be reaching some many people from so many places?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #1065
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Oddometer: 279
No, not at all, I was bowled over. In fact, while on the ride I wasn't thinking about no report, there was a lot of shit to think about.
metaljockey is offline   Reply With Quote