Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,006
Did we ride the Rockies, or are we in heaven?

Wednesday morning I'm sitting in my office at work thinking to myself "It sure would be nice to get out for a ride this weekend before the weather changes."

Within 5 minutes I had the ok from my better half to sneak out on Saturday and a thread started in the Rockies Forum to see who else was interested. Turned out, more than a few folks were thinking the same thing I was.

The IN list
spicychili
Charla
hondo
thefrozenpoison
asaracho
mountain eagle
cojoel
gm?

There were several others interested but the 7am start time had a few folks saying to themsevles "Nah, I'm gonna sleep in a bit." Frankly this was awfully early for me as well, but what the heck, I was IN!

I rolled up to Mountain Eagle's house just a bit after 6am and Hondo arrived a few minutes later. We rolled our bikes out as quietly as possible hoping to not disturb the neighbors too much and we were on our way to O'Brian's Cafe in Sedalia to meet with the rest of the group.

We arrived in Sedalia just as the sun was starting to peek over the horizon to find that everyone was right on time! I meant to take a picture of the sunrise and the group before we got started, but I forgot.

Everyone was on a 650 of some sort (KLR, BMW, DR) except for me on my little KLX250 and Mountain on his KTM525.

After a few minutes of chatting, gm? says to me "Ok, since I'm the new guy you have to clue me in on everyone." My reply was "What are you talking about? I've never ridden with any of these guys before. " He was a bit suprised that no one in this group had ridden together before.

One of the many, many reasons why ADV is such a fantastic place!

Everyone got geared up and we rolled out of Sedalia a little after 7am and headed up toward Deckers. We took highway 67 to CR40 to get a little tast of some dirt, connected to hwy 97 which follows along the South Platte River. Traffic was light because of the early hour so we were able to run a good pace. Twisty pavement is actually not my most comfortable riding terrain but I think I did a pretty decent job keeply up with the fellas.

We stopped for a short break in Deckers to air down tires in preparation for the dirt and I finally remembered to take a photo.

We took hwy 126 out of Deckers headed toward Stoney Pass and these guys promptly walked away from my poor little 250, I had the thing screaming and was still only running around 65mph.

Spicy missed the turn off and we had to backtrack about 5 miles and he claimed "This is my one wrong turn of the day." notice my use of the word "claimed" Turns out there were a few more wrong and/or missed turns thrown in along the way to add to the "Adventure"

No one seemed to be bothered though, I think we were all just happy to be out riding enjoying the day, and appreciating how nature's paintbrush had splashed the already beautiful scenery with the rich yellows , reds, and golds of the turning Aspens.

We hit the dirt off of 126 which turned out to be a pretty slippery road. My front end was pushing all over and my back end was sliding out. I start thinking "Hmmmm, I probably should have aired down my tires back in Deckers."

I was third in line behind Mountain & Spicy and I watched as Spicy had a little spin out in front of me. No harm done and he was back up and going in short order. We stopped at the top to regroup and it turned out that a couple of the guys fell victim to the slide out on that stretch.

I decided to let some air out of my tires and was very glad I did, since thing would only get more difficult from there.

After Stoney Pass was crossed we headed for Webster Pass. The group started to spread out some and I was was trying to decide if I wanted to try to keep Spicy in sight or the guys behind me. I wound up doing neither and rode alone for quite a few miles. I felt like I was the only person in the world as I dodged the rocks and splashed through puddles and little brooks.

I eventually caught up to Mountain and Spicy at a water crossing where they had stopped to take some pics. I got off my bike and decided to do the same.

Mountain actually decided to go back and hit the water a few more times while we waited.

Here he is after his "Adventure Shower"

I think the is Cojoel.

Your guess is as good as mine on this one.

Hondo maybe?

Sorry about these super craptastic shots, but they're the best my super craptastic el cheapo little camera could manage.

The other side of the water crossing.

There is a beautiful lake at the bottom of this butte but I didn't get any shots of it.

Hondo's brand new exhaust, just installed the day before.

He said "I'm glad I got pictures of it yesterday!"

A few pavement shots.

At the bottom of Webster things started to get pretty knarly. Very rocky, huge boulders everywhere. I saw Spicy go down but decided to keep going to maintain my momentum. I was in 2nd gear and not able to downshift fast enough and stalled it in front of Hondo. He made it around me as I yelled "Sorry Man!" He stopped a little ahead of me so I decided to go around. I made it up to a decent stopping point where I see Mountain picking up his bike. We waited for a minute and Hondo made it up.

A few minutes later we hear some motors coming. It was a group of big ATV's. I asked one of the guys "Is there a bunch of carnage back there?" He said "They're having a little trouble negotiating the hill."

Mountain Eagle decides to head back down to check on the rest of the group while Hondo and I wait. He comes back a few minutes later and says there is a go around that they are going to take that connects back to the trail we were on.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
Charla OP
Tamalamian

On we go. We connect back with the rest of the group. At this point I've decide to try to keep Spicy in sight and managed fairly well. We got out of the forest and started climbing. I had a little get off when I started to go off one side of the trail overcorrected and got bounced off the other side. I'm sporting a nice bruise on my right thigh for that one. It took me a minute to get my bike extricated from the tree it had decided to get friendly with and I was rolling again. Spicy had stopped just around the next bend. We waited til the next guys were in sight and got going again.

Up, up, up the face of the mountain we went. The mountan is basically a single steep incline covered in loose stone with a narrow (very rocky) trail carved in the side of it. I kept telling myself "Don't look down, focus on the trail. Don't look down, focus on the trail." It worked and I managed to not launch myself off the side of the mountain.

Here are photos form the top.

If you are a fan of ride reports, you've probably seen many similar photos. They do not do this scenery justice, it is absolutely breathtaking.

Spicy says "This was the hardest part of the ride. It gets easier from here." We head down the other side of Webster and hit a little more pavement heading for Georgia Pass.

Back to dirt.

We missed a turn heading up Georgia and got into some pretty nasty, rocky, rooty, steep stuff.

I was on the way up and lost my momentum again, ran out of gearing and didn't think fast enough to slip the clutch. The bike died. I grabbed the front brake but it was so steep I skidded backward about 6' before I finally fell over. Joel was that you that helped me pick my bike up? Thanks man.

Spicy continued up that trail a little bit more before it dead ended. He came back down and we backtracked some more to get back on the right trail. We eventually made it to the top where we found Mountain Eagle waiting for us.

A lone Adventurer enjoying the scenery.

At the top there was some discussion about where to go next. We could double back and hit Webster again going the other way, or take the easy road down Georgia head back to Bailey and grab some lunch. I was pooped and starving by this point so I voted for lunch. Mountan wanted to hit some more nasty stuff but the rest of the group voted for lunch as well.

Sorry Mountain, but these are Adventure Riders. Food is very high on the priority list!

We had lunch at Hog Heaven a little BBQ joint in Bailey. We were all so hungry we didn't take any food pics.

After lunch our little group disbanded and we all headed home. I was so thankful when I finally got there! I figured my door to door mileage at around 280 for the day, my longest ride to date on my little KLX250! Whoooo boy was I tired. It was a good day. A very good day. Thanks again guys for the excellent company!

(Hey Lomax! See what you missed out on? )

Old 09-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,908
Woo Hoo! Thanks Charla! That crappy little camera tooks some great pictures......

It was an ideal day out there one, of the finest I can remember for sure. I'm glad at least a few of our group had cameras to document the day......

so..... Chili..... Char..... Some kind of Redcone loop next.....
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,335

Great report Charla!

Sorry I missed it (was on Engineer Pass about the same time you guys were up on Webster Pass ).

That picture of Mountain after his "shower" is hilarious
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
spicychili
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...UTF8&z=10&om=1

Google Map of the route

Early Morning Start

Water crossing just south of Wellington Lake

Mountain Eagle getting his photo op

He needed to wash that KTM

Once wasnt enough

Good Timing. Who is this. I think it is Charla

GM maybe?

Maybe he wanted to take a shower and not wash the bike

GM without water proof pants

Hmmmmm.... Donno. Splash 1

I think that is Hondo

I think this is Pete

Not a cloud in the sky. Great Day

The Gray Tour Master Transition Jacket Team was out in force today. There were three of us.

Much later in the day... well many miles later. Winter is coming.

Its about time that 250 showed up.

This is either Charla telling me I am number 1 or what she thinks of my navigation skills. :)

Great Day.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
spicychili
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain eagle

so..... Chili..... Char..... Some kind of Redcone loop next.....
As soon as I get some knobbies. Red Cone, deer trail, Glacier Ridge
Old 09-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
spicychili
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo
I think today was the nicest day for riding I have yet to see in my life!

I met up with Mountain & Charla at Mountain's house, and off we went to Sedalia.

After a meet & greet, we headed towards Deckers on our way to Webster Pass. Great twisties sans the cages that slowed us down.

The first dirt roads were sandy slick and a few folks went down. I washed out the front on a rut, got tossed, and as I turned over I see Pete (Frozen Poison) & his KLR meet the dirt right next to me. Sorry Pete!

We picked up the bikes & headed uphill.

Over Stoney I got a few water crossing shots -

here's asaracho on his new BMW-

Here's gm (I think) on his DR650-

Everybody made it through all of water crossings.

When we got to Webster, we started up with Spicy Chill leading, with Mountain following him, Charla next & then me. We were climbing a pretty rocky section when we came to a climbing right hander, full of huge rocks.

The turn went right, the left & up, and as I approached the turn I saw Charla stop. I saw daylight ( a newer trail) that bypassed all of the badness I saw on my right, so I took it and continued up the trail, and stopped in a somewhat unrocky spot.

When I turned around, Charla came by on her KLX250 and headed up the hill. So I followed. We stopped further up the trail and found Mountain going downhill. Charla said Spcy went down, so Mountain rode down to check it out.

While Charla & I were waiting for the status of the group, I took this pic. I'm tellin' ya, it was ideal riding weather!

After waiting 5 minutes or so, Charla walked down to see what was up. She ran into Mountain-

Mountain as he passed-

Mountain said that the rest of the group took another trail and that we would meet them up ahead. So we headed out.

After meeting up, we came to a nice big mud hole - EVERYBODY STOP! I NEED PICS!

cajoel getting his very nice 2006 (spotless in Sedalia) KLR650 another mud bath-

asaracho on the BMW-

And a couple of nice shots of FrozenPoison-

Coming out of the treeline we stopped for some pics - Red Cone was quite beautiful today-

Hey Pete!

Hey gm!

Hey asaracho!

Here's gm coming up Webster-

almost to the top-

At the summit-

The Lineup-

KLR, BMW, KLR, BMW, KLX250, KTM, KLR, DR650

After riding down webster, Pete & I split off from the group to head back to Denver. We stopped and had lunch at Subway, and hit the slab.

While on I-70, my right rad cover got loose again, so I pulled off at the Bakersfield exit. I saw a sign that said Grey's Peak, so I thought I'd check it out.

This was a pretty gnarly dirt road, lots of ruts & rocks.

This is what I saw-

It ended in a awesome park like setting, with walking trails galore. There were quite a few SUVs there.

So then I headed back down, jumped on I70, and cruised home.

Thanks to all in the group, it was my pleasure meeting & riding with you all!

If anyone wants larger pics, LMK & I will email them to you-
Repost of Hondo's images from another thread.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
Damn 280 miles on the KLX?! Do the 07's have better seats or what? After 70 miles yesterday I was hurtin. Great pics, looks like a fun time had by all
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #9
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjt
Damn 280 miles on the KLX?! Do the 07's have better seats or what? After 70 miles yesterday I was hurtin. Great pics, looks like a fun time had by all
Nope they sure don't! My butt was hurtin' by the time I got to O'brian's. :lol Good thing I only used the seat for half the time. Like I said earlier, I was sure glad to get home!
Old 09-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,237
Great report Charla!

Wish I could have ridden on after Webster-

Thanks for setting this ride up Spicy!

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #11
thefrozenpoison
on the King of Red Lions

Oddometer: 158
"..a little trouble negotiating the hill" sounds about right!
Cant wait to get back up there.
Nice report Charla!
Great time everyone!
Thanks again, Doug.
thefrozenpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #12
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,948
700 AM Start in Sedalia

Next up : stoney pass (click for vid)

After getting up and over stoney pass we end up going by Wellington lake and coming out on 285 in Bailey. Fueled up in Bailey and then we headed to Webster pass where the "carnage" began:

This is hondo, about halfway up:

and again, except a little further up:

Get up to the top and there we see some of the most amazing views:

After that, we ride past Keystone and then head over to Georgia pass:

What a great ride, hope everyone had as great of a time as I did.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:28 PM   #13
spicychili
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaracho
I was wondering if someone got a picture of this. Good thing those trees were there to stop Pete's KLR from going the rest of the way down the hill.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #14
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,237

That's right where I forgot to zip up the tail bag after taking some pics.

My cell phone fell out shortly up the trail.

Luckily an ATV rider (who lives 2 miles from me ) found it & called home.

Just a great day overall!

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #15
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,591
you are in D-S riding heaven!! Awesome ride and pics, thanks for posting