Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Cupid Stunt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Last weekend 47 Adventure Riders from all over the UK, Ireland and even Belgium met in Rhayader, Wales, for the 3rd UK Advrider Rally.

The UK Advrider Rallies are rather informal events, organised by volunteers looking for a suitable campsite, restaurants, off-road routes and trying to keep an overview of the increasing number of participants each time.

We only started these meetings in April this year with the 1st UK Advrider Rally in Rhayader, Wales, continued with "The Yorkies' Revenge" in the Yorkshire Dales in June and now we gathered for the "Return to Rhayader". Here is the report:

Pumpy, via the Mgmt.

We now return you to Cupid Stunt's post (sorry CS).
__________________________________________________ ______

And the first back home

First off I'll apologise to anyone who may have been slightly offended by my overtaking, though I never put anyone at any risk it was just to keep me awake, I was making sure that whenever possible I was second in line that way I got to be the drop off man so I could then play catch up again and try to get to position 2 again, plus of course the view from position 2 was always the best as Pumpy was position 1 , she's a real star ya know

Sorry goes out to Steve (V-Strom) too cos I forgot to get hold of you as requested, just got caught up in the days fun

It was a cracking day out with plenty of events to keep everyone amused, good company, good roads and trails

Cheers peeps

Photos later and just wait til you see the videos especially some TW@T on a supermoto, OK it was me, but it was all in the name of entertainment, though I had absolutely no intention of throwing myself and my bike down a mountain, I had a good idea it was going to end in disaster before I did it especially with the knowledge that I had no stopping power at all with my supermoto slicks on

PhilSpace screwed with this post 09-25-2007 at 06:52 AM
Cupid Stunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:43 AM   #2
Cupid Stunt OP
Studly Adventurer

All my pics are in a web gallery here:
http://www.riderz.co.uk/adv-album-sept-07/

If you spot one that you want, let me know, they're all 10mp and printable at up to A3

Here's here's a selection of pics from Saturday...

Outside the cafe in Rhayader

Ford crossing, I missed the pics first as everyone was too close behind me so I didn't have time to stop and get the canera out, fortunately Pumpy had taken yet another wrong turn so we went back accross but this time I got out in front....

Old 09-23-2007, 01:49 AM   #3
Cupid Stunt OP
Studly Adventurer

Ooops

This was one of the helpers, he must have felt so sympathetic he came over all fally down himself as he slipped on the wet slimy slate

Old 09-23-2007, 02:05 AM   #4
Cupid Stunt OP
Studly Adventurer

Pumpy just after having come to a stop she fell over sideways, it was very gracefull and appeared as though she just wanted a closer look at the Welsh mountain plantlife

This was one of numerous inspection of the flora by Pumpy, just couldn't get at the camera fast enough

Some more of the riders

Old 09-23-2007, 02:08 AM   #5
Cupid Stunt OP
Studly Adventurer

Here's our beautifull guide Pumpy

Another Ooops moment..

Cupid Stunt screwed with this post 09-23-2007 at 02:24 AM
Old 09-23-2007, 02:30 AM   #6
Cupid Stunt OP
Studly Adventurer

Fuel - 11.00

Damage - 12.00

Spending a quality full day out with a great bunch of riders all organised by volunteers in some of the best terrain the UK has to offer....

PRICELESS

Thanks to all who were there and especially those who organised and helped out

Now I best go and wash my blingy bike
Old 09-23-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
Gazz
In a rut

Oddometer: 530
Many thanks to all the organisers, especially Robbie + Pumpy , for doing the selfless thing and sorting out routes etc. You both did a great job and it was only Robbie's wife who stopped me from organising a round of applause in the pub last night, hinting the poor chap would have died of embarrassment.

I was tail end on the more difficult ride yesterday and saw it all, including misfiring KTMs, wonderful zig-zagging hill climbing attempts from the big KTM and the GS12, another GS12 snapping a gear linkage, the 650GS blowing a fuse in the middle of nowhere, and finally another couple of 12's taking a little drink in the Strata Florida.
What a fantastic day. I'll post only one picture of Robbie and Timpo since it shows the spirit in which it all took place,

cheers

Gaz (XChallenge)
Attached Images

Gazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:55 AM   #8
KiLaV
Misguided fool.

Oddometer: 40
Cupid

Looked at your pics and thought the guy on the blue Tiger with Tourances (or whatever) was a star for tackling that sharp, loose looking, turn without any apparent trouble.
Then I saw the sequence on your gallery.

Seriously though, all credit to him and the rest of you for giving it a go.
I'll have to join up with you all at a future gathering.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:11 AM   #9
popeye II
n00b

Oddometer: 5
First things first, Pumpy, thank you for all the work you must have put into preparing our route and then bearing the responsibilty of leading 20odd bikes across country. You did a great job and I for one thoroughly enjoyed my day. Thanks too to DrRich, Robbie and GPS for pulling the whole together. Well done chaps.

Mine was the 1150adv. that punctured the front tyre so thanks to everyone for their patience whilst it was sorted. Somewhere along the line I owe some guys who's names I didn't get for a can of tyre sealant and an inner tube - can you drop me a pm and I'll sort some reimbursement out with you.

I learnt that there's more to taking these big bikes off road than I thought, it's quite a different riding technique to that than I'm used to - now I need more practice

Hope everyone who took tumbles is ok.

A great day and great company.

Only managed a couple of pics all day.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
popeye II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
the white rabbit
Vicarious

Oddometer: 3,051
Some great pics already and some great laughs.

Thanks all for coming along.

Hope sunday went well, our small group did a mix of beautiful small roads and forestry between Rhayder and Builth. Very wet tho. Looking forward to hearing how it went today with other groups.

Biggest thanks to everyone who mucked in a set up rides, especially for 'Vague Sunday*' as that was unplanned.

Bril job Robbie and Pumpy!!!!!!!!

*thats 'Vague Sunday' TM, copyright.

Best memory of weekend for me is watching 20 or so tail lights winding their way over the mountain at dusk on the way home after a busy day. No pic, but great memory.

Hope everyone home safe or on their way safely.

the white rabbit screwed with this post 09-23-2007 at 11:24 AM
the white rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
robbie c
trail addict

Oddometer: 670
what can I say

to popeye, yes they're bloody heavy

I had a superb weekend, I must however say that without the route organisation from Garry Holloway it couldn't have been done

Saturday was superb, although I didn't see much of the carnage ( I did warn you ) I did have a brilliant day

that was the first ride out that I've led and I thoroughly enjoyed it, If I'm invited to do it again, I just might

great to meet new people and catch up with old friends (especially Tim and Tina).

to all who rode with me on the weekend, I hope that you enjoyed it and didn't come to too much harm, there were lots of sleepy people in the pub on saturday night

that's it for now, I'm off to have a few beers

and finally

well done to Pumpy, Rich and Rocks for organising this weekend and thanks to Gaz for being Tail end charlie (and the the picture and sentiment above) and all of the rest of you for turning up and making our efforts worth while

IT WAS A SUPERB WEEKEND

Rob
robbie c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #12
nickyboy
Dream on..............

Oddometer: 305
Thanks fot a Great 1st Off Road Ride!!

Well now, that was GOOD!!!

A BIG thankyou firstly to PUMPY for doing a brilliant job up front and of course DR.Rich, Robbie GPS and everyone else involved in getting the weekend to happen.

I for one had a great time which will stay long in the memory.

Great trails, good company and glorious scenery, not to mention all the laughs throughout the day.

It was my first time off road and for my new 990 fresh from its 1st (500 mile) service. Looks a bit less embarrisingly shiny now which is good!!

Thanks also for all the help along the way. The spirit of "we're all in this together" was great.

I'm not sure if I was the only one admitting to staying in a b&b. For future reference it was basic but warm and dry and reasonabley priced.Called the Greenfields in South Street.

Rich, I think I have to agree about the evening ride back being special (i was 1 bike in front of you.

Thanks again all and safe riding home

Nick
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #13
stanbloke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Absolutely brilliant, top event, top people. .

Total novice when I arrived, total novice when I left. But I had a superb time.

Many thanks to all concerned, even to Popeye for laughing when I got spat off and joined the "Airborne division". I'm still laughing about it now ( ouch !!!) .

Can't wait for the next one. .
Old 09-23-2007, 12:20 PM   #14
the white rabbit
Vicarious

Oddometer: 3,051
Brilliant, look at the sympathetic faces, especially Pumpy

the white rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #15
GPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Firstly I would like to thank Robbie and Gaz for the work they put into sorting a top rideout, which made my weekend (one I wont forget in a hurry).

Secondly a big thankyou to Pumpy and Dr Rich for organising the alternative route, Which from what I heard was a great ride.

And to Desert Rat (simon), Rocks, Dazco et all for helping pick me and my bike up 3 times in all.

Unfortunatley some of the bikes didn't fair too well even before they got there ( mine included ) although some were worse than others. The Irish contingent probably bore the brunt of it, I hope that it hasn't put you off and that you'll be back next time

And finally a big THANKYOU to all who came and participated in the action.

GPS screwed with this post 09-23-2007 at 01:07 PM
GPS is offline   Reply With Quote