User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
TheLostBoy OP
gone riding...

Oddometer: 211
taking knives into mexico (baja)

will i get hassled at the border or anywhere else inside baja if i have a non-concieled machete in a sheath attached to my bike?

thx,
danny
TheLostBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:47 AM   #2
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,081
Moved to where it belongs

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,493
I've carried a machete in Baja for years never been a problem.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
97Octane
Defining Mediocrity

Oddometer: 664
I carried a K-Bar knife on me on my recent trip. In my tank bag. My tank bag was never questioned or searched at all.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:45 AM   #5
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostBoy
will i get hassled at the border or anywhere else inside baja if i have a non-concieled machete in a sheath attached to my bike?

thx,
danny
You're a palapa builder.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
Pelon
Dia Por Dia

Oddometer: 1,061
I carried a machete lashed to my bedroll all through Sinaloa and Sonora on a Harley 15 yrs ago without any problems. I was dressed in full dirtball regalia, too.

You can get hassled for ANYTHING in Mexico OR the U.S., for that matter. It all depends on attitude. Be respectful, and you will be fine. No matter what, though, NO GUNS AND NO AMMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A .22 will buy you 5 yrs, my friend. Cuidate!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
Aussie_Gringo
The anti-septic

Oddometer: 7,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostBoy

thx,
danny

Why........carry such a thing into Mexico.

Aussie_Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Gringo
Why........carry such a thing into Mexico.

That's what I'd like to know. Like Lone Rider sez: "You a Palapa builder?"

Campesinos in Mexico can carry a Machete any where at all. It's strickly a tool in the eyes of the law....but since you ain't a Campesino...well, who knows. My guess is you'll be fine. They have no value there and can be bought in any public market in Mexico for about $3 tops.

But a fine killing knife is a totally other story...in fact any nice knife. If they like it....they'll take it. I had a really nice Swiss Army knife and some officious Prick Whistle decided he wanted it....this at 4am on a lone Mexican highway military stop.

I asked what the problem was....he said the blade length was "Ilegal" . I said
OK, fine. Opened the knife, stepped on the blade and snapped it right off and handed him the knife. The Soldados standing around watching started cracking up laughing....El Pinche Jefe was not pleased....but I was cut loose
beneath his ominous glare.

I don't advise this behavior...anytime you go one on one in a contest of Machismo with guys with guns....you will lose.
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 AM   #9
97Octane
Defining Mediocrity

Oddometer: 664
ANother idea is... leave your Machete at home, and buy one after you cross the border at a hardware store. They are common, and cheap. No border issues / Military check points to even be worried with.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
Pelon
Dia Por Dia

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
But a fine killing knife is a totally other story...in fact any nice knife. If they like it....they'll take it. I had a really nice Swiss Army knife and some officious Prick Whistle decided he wanted it....this at 4am on a lone Mexican highway military stop.

I asked what the problem was....he said the blade length was "Ilegal" . I said OK, fine. Opened the knife, stepped on the blade and snapped it right off and handed him the knife. The Soldados standing around watching started cracking up laughing....El Pinche Jefe was not pleased....but I was cut loose beneath his ominous glare.
Jajajaja. k rico! Donde ocurio eso? Cual estado?

Pelon
Old 10-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #11
JMead11
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 2,658
But he will be faced with police and military checkpoints all over Mexico. They are not just at the border. When I have travelled in Mexico I usually have to go through at least two checkpoints a day. Oh, BTW, don't drive at night in Mexico. Checkpoints get a lot more scary at night. I got stopped at one in Michoacan at midnight. I pretended not to know any, or much, Spanish, and they freely spoke among themselves about how much money they were going to get out of me to get by. I ended up there for hours denying posession of any money and finally gave them $6.00 out of my ashtray. He told his seargeant I was donating him money to buy batteries for his flashlight. Never had this kind of trouble in broad daylight. I had always been warned about driving at night in Mexico. Lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Octane
ANother idea is... leave your Machete at home, and buy one after you cross the border at a hardware store. They are common, and cheap. No border issues / Military check points to even be worried with.
JMead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #12
TheLostBoy OP
gone riding...

Oddometer: 211
a machete would've been pretty handy in a few of the places i road into during this trip. had a hatchet and a knife, had no problems from the military when they stumbled upon it in my bags at a checkpoint. no worries, and no $$ to get through any of them.
TheLostBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #13
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelon
Jajajaja. k rico! Donde ocurio eso? Cual estado?

Pelon
Norte de Culiacan, mas of menos. This is the only time I've been really hassled about anything. Most of the time todo es muy padre.
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:23 AM   #14
RSalvarez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Es incrible!!!

i feel bad when read this kind of messages, not for you just for the image that some latins give on the usa and in the news, we are not equali made
i made this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKM52aQ5J-0 share please micmecmexicali is my user name on youtube

i write in english because some drugers are more ignorants than mexicans
RSalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:00 AM   #15
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,750
I think it has more to do with intent than with the actual item. To a Palapa builder, a machete is a tool. Strapped in the open, by a tourist, it is a weapon.

If you really need it, I would put it inside the luggage. Not "hide" it, just store it, as you would any other tool.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote