User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
gunnsar OP
Old Fixer Dude

Oddometer: 18
Best Dualsport tire

I have a 95 Suzuki DR350se thats been completely refurbished to include powder coated frame. The engine was boxed up and sent to Thumper Racing who put in a 441cc kit in it. I love it now its not like my old YZ490 but Im slowing down a bit just a little bit. Best of all it has a yellow button on the handlebars (elect. start)!

I had stripped it down for winter trips to the desert but time doesnt allow for much of that now so I decided to put everything back on and plate it for the street. Now when time permits I can run out to the desert or the local mountains for a little dirt time.

Heres the question:
Im looking for tires - 40/60 to 30/70 (street/dirt) and thought Id ask what seems to work for most of you dualsport riders? I understand that they have DOT knobbies now but Im not sure theyd last very long on the street and would pop my fillings out of my teeth on a long dash out to a trailhead.

On looks alone the following look like they might be considered:

Shinko 700 series

Continental Twinduro TKC80

IRC GP-110
Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara

Kenda K270 Dual Sport

All off road riding will be in the desert (hard packed and sand) and in dry mountain/rocky areas. All coments are welcome! Would like to hear whats worked best for you.

Just heard all the noise about the trials tires particularly the Pirelli MT43 on the back and a MotoZ up front. What do ya think?
gunnsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Don't think you can go wrong with MT43 rear & Desert IT up front?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
I can't offer much, but I can say that I've run the Shinko 700's before, and I was happy with them. Both on the street and on dirt roads, some rocks and gravel. I switched to some fancy Heidenaus that are supposed to last 4-5 times as long as the Shinkos, but I'm only so-so on them. I haven't done as much dirt, so I can't really comment on them there, but on the street they don't have the grip, and they are much "buzzier". They are lasting longer, but not the 10,000+ miles I keep hearing about. I guess if they cost twice as much and go twice as far, I can't say they were too expensive, but when you factor in the other negatives, I'm not sure I'd do it again, unless I was planning a long trip.

MV
Old 06-19-2015, 04:27 AM   #4
snare
sittin and breathin

Oddometer: 356
I now run an IRC TR8 up front and am loving it. Although I have never used a TKC 80, I have frequently heard the TR8 compared as both 'better' and less expensive.

I have run Shinko 244s front and rear, the rear is great in varied conditions, I would buy another (but am trying a Michelin T63 rear next). The 244 front was fine ( I thought much better than the K270s I ran on my previous DR350) up until it started cupping, which I think the 244 fronts have a propensity to do. I will not buy another.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:27 AM   #5
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

Oddometer: 6,180
IMHO for the street/dirt ratio that you stated, you'd be hard pressed to find a more cost effective option than the Shinko 700's for a light bike.
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 566
Michelin T63's
Old 06-19-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
boman250
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I have almost 8K on my TKC 80 front tire. My friend had the shinko 700 and it lasted about as long as a knobby tire. 3.5k.

I have 3.5k on my heidenou, but its getting down there pretty far. I expect 5k out of it when I was originally expecting 8-10. So I probably wont be buying that one again.

The MT-21 seems to wear faster than any other tire. 500 miles on the one I have and it looks about 25-30% gone. I was babying the heck out of it on the street those miles.

I have a TKC 80 rear I want to try. The D606 my friend has seems to be wearing really fast as well.

Tires are a tough thing to decide on.
boman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:59 PM   #8
jjxtrider
questionable

Oddometer: 1,208
I've used a long list of tires, but really haven't spent much time in sand yet . My experience with the 700 is the same as posted already, good tire for street and good offroad, 3500miles for the rear, front has another couple thousand but may start cupping if not turned around.. T63 in the rear was as good and wear is better than a person would think, will always have one bike with one on. D606 was good offroad, lasted better than I thought for the amount of street miles but wasn't as good as I've heard. was a little noisy on pavement but not the worst .

Sand is a tricky one , I don't think you'll find a tire that is great in sand and still be good on the street, 2 complete opposite surfaces. I'd say of someone had sand experience with the 700 or T63 and they were good, I'd go with one of them.

IRC GP110's, don't, poor grip on most surfaces other than bare dry pavement; hard, if not impossible to balance.
K270's , ok, not great, not poor , decent on the street, just a general purpose tire ,too hard of sidewall to be good mine went flat and I could barely notice, drove 20 miles home could have easily kept going like that. The Shrinko 244(also called "golden Boys")are the same basic pattern but were a better all around.
I mostly run Pirelli scorpion MX "hard terrain" on the front of most of my bikes. good traction but do wear faster than many will. TR8's on the others.

jjxtrider screwed with this post 06-19-2015 at 04:28 PM
jjxtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:54 PM   #9
Butters
Kwyjibo

Oddometer: 2,729
If you're talking a majority of dirt riding, I would definitely go with a knobby type tire (as opposed to something like the IRC GP110).

I really liked the Saharas on my X-Challenge, but I would probably go with something more aggressive if I was riding as much dirt as you state. I have nothing bad to say about TKCs other than they are a bit expensive. I thought they handled quite well on the street and they wear well. I had a T63 rear that I think is good (and cheap), but it is definitely louder than the TKC and wears quicker.

I haven't used the Kenda 270 or Shinko 244, but I used an IRC GP1 on my old DRZ. Same pattern as the Shinko and very similar to the Kenda. It is more expensive than both, but has better street manners than the Kenda (from what i have read). It is technically a trials tire and has a very soft sidewall, so it may not be ideal in terrain with sharp rocks.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:50 PM   #10
PepperDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
advpulse.com put up a "buyer's guide" article a few weeks ago

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products...-buying-guide/

if nothing else, it is a good place to get an overview and look at tread patterns.

The k270s on my DR350 have been fine here in New England (a little bit of everything, nothing in excess). I'm happy with the price/performance so far - but I'm not that demanding a rider.
PepperDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:09 AM   #11
rustyx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I really like motoz tractionator Desert H/T. Tight lug spacing makes it nice on slab and they're awesome in dirt.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #12
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
I can't offer much, but I can say that I've run the Shinko 700's before, and I was happy with them. Both on the street and on dirt roads, some rocks and gravel. I switched to some fancy Heidenaus that are supposed to last 4-5 times as long as the Shinkos, but I'm only so-so on them. I haven't done as much dirt, so I can't really comment on them there, but on the street they don't have the grip, and they are much "buzzier". They are lasting longer, but not the 10,000+ miles I keep hearing about. I guess if they cost twice as much and go twice as far, I can't say they were too expensive, but when you factor in the other negatives, I'm not sure I'd do it again, unless I was planning a long trip.

MV

aggressive tread + long street life = hard rubber=poor road traction

be careful
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #13
ststrider
some guy on a bike

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by juddspaintballs View Post
Michelin T63's
What he said.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #14
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by juddspaintballs View Post
Michelin T63's
+2. I have had good luck with them on a WR250R in AZ. I really like the front and it is quiet on the tar. I am thinking of trying a Mefo Explorer on the back of my 690 matched with a Michelin T63 on the front. I am looking for longer life for the back tire that is also decent in rocks and mud.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #15
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,722
I like 606's when It gets dirty, with 60-70% off road you will too.
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote