User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 08:58 AM   #1
Kannonball8 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Help me make an offer on an '01 KTM 640

An friend of mine has an '01 KTM 640 Dualsport that he is going to sell. He's in his 70's and it's too tall for him to ride anymore. The bike has around 8,000 miles on it an seems to be in nice shape (normal scratches and dings), NADA and Motorcycle Consumer News put a value of about $1300 on it. If this is a fair price I would go ahead and make this offer to him but I have never owned a KTM before and know next to nothing about potential issues with this model or what to look for. What sort of things should I be looking for? Will I have difficulty getting parts for a 14 year old KTM?
This bike would fill the gap between my Yamaha WR-250 and Triumph Explorer and I'd like to have it if I can afford it and if it won't be a parts nightmare.
Thanks,
Bruce
Ural Patrol-T
Triumph Tiger 800 & Ural Patrol-T (wife's)
Kannonball8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:26 AM   #2
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,699
I don't have any personal experience with the 640, but if I could pick one up for that price, I'd be all over it.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:26 AM   #3
Adanac rider
The Great Gazoo

Oddometer: 120
That bike up here would be worth $ 3000+ .I don't think parts should be a problem with ktm.If you are going to ride the bike primarily on gravel and other loose surfaces the vibration won't bother you.Excellent suspension and really good power.I had an 02 and I wish I would have kept it. Vibrated to much on the pavement where we were using it.(2-up)
Adanac rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:14 AM   #4
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,311
I've seen bikes like that go locally for $3,000 to $3,500. And those were pretty good deals in my book. The older LC4s had a lot of vibes in the motor. Either you can deal with that or you can't. Other than that, great bikes. If he's going to sell it for KBB prices, rock on. You can't lose.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:03 AM   #5
Shooter1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
In well maintained shape that bike woudl sell for $2300 to $2700ish in my area depending on what farkles it has. If the owner doesn't know what it's worth, it's in nice shape and you can get is for the inaccurate NADA number, I'd buy it. Of course you'd be somewhat hosing your neighbor but....

I've had no problems with the five Lc4's I've had since 1998. They do vibe a little so get a test ride.
'00 FXDX SG Sport, '06 300XCW,
'07 EXC450, '01 640 Lc4E
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:24 AM   #6
MTK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Whenever I don't know what something is worth I will search "all craigslist" and that will give me a pretty good idea on what people are looking to sell for.

That in mind it looks like this bike is being advertised from $2800-$4000.
I recently sold my 2006 625 for 5500.
I would expect this bike to go between 3000/3500 if in decent condition.

Parts are super easy to get and will not be a concern, contrary to popular belief they are priced comparable to every other brand.

Motor is simple reliable and will last a very long time.
This bike will vibrate.

MTK screwed with this post Today at 03:23 PM
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:30 PM   #7
docwyte
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
The bike will vibrate much less once properly jetted.

I'd read that over and over again and thought it was total BS. Then I rebuilt and rejetted the carb and was blown away at how much less it vibrated.

Still more than a twin for sure, but for a thumper I didn't think it was bad at all, no more than my BMW Dakar thumper did...
Old Today, 02:37 PM   #8
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,528
I agree with all of the above. Around here an excellent condition 8,000 mile 640 Enduro or SXC625 would be in the $3000+ range with a similar 640A even more.

My experience with NADA values is that they are pure unmitigated crap for KTM. I got an NADA offer on my 2001 MXC200 a few weeks ago and just laughed. It sold in less than 48 hours for double that value and over KBB.

For buying used KTM's KBB is always my starting point. In my experience KBB is also lower than decent KTM's actually sell for ($2400 for an 01 640E). But usually a much closer starting point to negotiate from than NADA.

Also, I agree with MTK about parts. I have yet to have a part backordered and the prices aren't any more than Japanese parts overall. My 640E has been reliable as a hammer though. So for me it has just been consumables and crash damage.

Grreatdog screwed with this post Today at 05:30 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:01 PM   #9
MikeFromMT
Past Tense

Oddometer: 3,902
Why don't you just ask him what he wants for it?
KBB needs to just go away, how they manage to stick around is beyond me, they have screwed more deals than I can imagine, I don't think I've ever seen accurate prices. (psst, it's a conspiracy to get you into a dealership)
If your friend is thinking 3 grand do you really want to offer him one half or one third? I'll be selling a bike in the spring for about $1,000, if my friend (true friend not just some guy I rode with) expressed an interest in it, I'd have no problem just tossing him the keys. If I was selling a $3,000 + bike they would get a bottom dollar no BS price, everybody else pays market value.

Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:35 PM   #10
Kannonball8 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Mike , This was the reason for my post - he doesn't know what he wants for it (neither of us knows what it's worth) and I don't want to screw him or my self. I have not even suggested the NADA value to him. From the posts here it seems like something in the $3000 range would be about right so I'll see how that goes
Ural Patrol-T
Triumph Tiger 800 & Ural Patrol-T (wife's)
Kannonball8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:17 PM   #11
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,446
WR250...R or F?
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:28 PM   #12
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannonball8 View Post
Mike , This was the reason for my post - he doesn't know what he wants for it (neither of us knows what it's worth) and I don't want to screw him or my self. I have not even suggested the NADA value to him. From the posts here it seems like something in the $3000 range would be about right so I'll see how that goes
$3000 sounds about fair to me but you could probably get it for less.
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:50 PM   #13
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,528
Yep, I wouldn't feel quilty throwing down a $2500'ish offer. If it were mine and a friend offered that it would be a done deal just to save me the CL misery.