Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #1561
raptortrail
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm1219
I got a nice spark, but no fuel in the cylinder. Plug not wet or even smells of gas after kicking it for a minute or so.

Do I dare go exploring in the carb for a fuel delievry issue or find me a mechanic that will work for cheap? For the record I know nothing about carbs but do have a pretty good mechnical mind.

The fuel filter looks new and fuel is flowing freely through it.

Also, when I got the bike it had what looked like the original air filter in it. Which had about a 3 in hole right through the center, with most the foam missing. Could some of this be stuck somewhere in the carb and making things not work correctly? It had to go somewhere.

Thanks!
The carbs on the XT are pretty basic and fairly easy getting on/off.I would at least pull off the float bowl and find out why you are not getting fuel.Run some carb cleaner thru it and blow out with compressed air.I would not worry to much about the air filter,first there should be a metal screen in the airbox ahead of the air filter.If it has been removed more than likely the pieces from the filter ran right thru the engine without any harm.
raptortrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #1562
cjm1219
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptortrail
The carbs on the XT are pretty basic and fairly easy getting on/off.I would at least pull off the float bowl and find out why you are not getting fuel.Run some carb cleaner thru it and blow out with compressed air.I would not worry to much about the air filter,first there should be a metal screen in the airbox ahead of the air filter.If it has been removed more than likely the pieces from the filter ran right thru the engine without any harm.
Thanks for walking me through some of this stuff. I will take the carb out tomorrow and have a look see. Haven't had very much time lately to dive in.

I did spray some ether into it earlier and got it for fire up and run for a few seconds.
cjm1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #1563
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Thanks for walking me through some of this stuff. I will take the carb out tomorrow and have a look see. Haven't had very much time lately to dive in.

I did spray some ether into it earlier and got it for fire up and run for a few seconds.
Careful when you pull the float bowl. There's a little rubber hose connecting the float bowl to the "other" carb. Make sure you don't split that tube. That little tube also makes it really easy to screw up the float height, by bending the floats down as they catch the side of the bowl. If you take care to pull the bowl straight down, it's not a big issue.

A little grease or silicone spray on the rubber boots helps slide the carbs back in.

Psycho
00 and '07 YAM TTR 90s (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:15 AM   #1564
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:

If it starts with ether, it is definitely a fuel problem. Clean the carb like everyone else said, but also check the strainers that are attached to the petcock in the tank. If they are bad just buy a new petcock. They are cheap and a dealer will likely have it in stock since they are the same for many models.
I think I saw that you had a fuel filter. If so, it isn't stock and you may want to remove it for now(it may have been added if the strainers are bad).
I recall reading about someone having issues with an add on filter not passing fuel fast enough. That may not be true, but since you are having issues, it's best to remove any extra variables. You can always put it back on later.

Also, it may be worth you time to call around to some bike or auto shops and see if you can find someone with an ultrasonic cleaner that you can soak your carb in overnight.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:35 AM   #1565
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,356
I had to ditch the metal tank on mine from serious internal corrosion before the bike was even three years old. The mesh screen on the petcock would clog with rust and carb would clog with whatever got through the screens. So check the petcock screens as suggested. It doesn't take much crap to clog the carbs. The Clarke tank was probably the best overall investment I made in mine.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #1566
XLHammer
IT'S STANDARD ,W.T.F....?

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog
I had to ditch the metal tank on mine from serious internal corrosion before the bike was even three years old. The mesh screen on the petcock would clog with rust and carb would clog with whatever got through the screens. So check the petcock screens as suggested. It doesn't take much crap to clog the carbs. The Clarke tank was probably the best overall investment I made in mine.
I had the same problem with my XT600 tenere.
I bought some tank sealant , after it cured and was refitted . I no longer had a problem with filters clogging up , because the sealant captured , or covered the bits clogging my filter.

If my tank was that bad , or thin id of done the same , but on a good strong tank id recommend the above solution.

XLHammer
XLHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #1567
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,356
I put Clarke tanks on everything anyway. They get rid of all the dents, creases and scratches - permanently. Metal tanks on offroad bikes are just plain stupid. I have never figured out why the Japanese insist on metal tanks on DS bikes when half their street bikes have plastic tanks now.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #1568
cjm1219
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18th
Careful when you pull the float bowl. There's a little rubber hose connecting the float bowl to the "other" carb. Make sure you don't split that tube. That little tube also makes it really easy to screw up the float height, by bending the floats down as they catch the side of the bowl. If you take care to pull the bowl straight down, it's not a big issue.

A little grease or silicone spray on the rubber boots helps slide the carbs back in.

Psycho

Well i need new intake boots for sure now. I unhooked all the hose and unscrewed the clamps on the air intake tubes and the intake boots. Removed air tubes and wiggled slightly and the intake boots crumbled. One broke off cleanly. They are totally hard and have no give whatso ever.

I removed the float bowl carefully, although the small tube split while removing the clamp. Can I replace that with any small hose that fits? Went through a can of carb cleaner getting any brown suff off. The floats seemed to stick a bit and not go up and down smoothly. I sprayed them liberaly with cleaners and worked them a bit. Seem to be smooth now. Could this be my no fuel getting to the motor problem?

The petcock and fuel filter aren't clogged as when I removed the fuel line from the carb I turned the petcock and it flowed very well out of the tank.

Any chance I can find new intake boots locally? I live in Tucson and could drive to Phoenix if need be. Ordering them looks like it will take about a week. Any sugestions where to buy online if I can't find them at a dealer.

Thanks!
cjm1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #1569
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
Well i need new intake boots for sure now. I unhooked all the hose and unscrewed the clamps on the air intake tubes and the intake boots. Removed air tubes and wiggled slightly and the intake boots crumbled. One broke off cleanly. They are totally hard and have no give whatso ever.

I removed the float bowl carefully, although the small tube split while removing the clamp. Can I replace that with any small hose that fits? Went through a can of carb cleaner getting any brown suff off. The floats seemed to stick a bit and not go up and down smoothly. I sprayed them liberaly with cleaners and worked them a bit. Seem to be smooth now. Could this be my no fuel getting to the motor problem?

The petcock and fuel filter aren't clogged as when I removed the fuel line from the carb I turned the petcock and it flowed very well out of the tank.

Any chance I can find new intake boots locally? I live in Tucson and could drive to Phoenix if need be. Ordering them looks like it will take about a week. Any sugestions where to buy online if I can't find them at a dealer.

Thanks!
Very unlikely anyone will stock the boots. Just order them.
It could have been a stuck float or if the boots were leaking bad enough you may not have had enough vacuum the suck the gas out of the bowl.

A good clean carb, new boots and air filter and you should be all set.

I would suggest buying some new fuel line and vent hose as they are also likely dry rotted and won't last very long. Get twice as much as you think you need. It never seems to go as far as you think. A piece of vent line will work for the piece that came apart that goes between carbs.

Sounds like the bike is due for a good going through.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #1570
xt4ever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Clarke fuel tank, petcock and valve cover

Well, I think now I know why my fuel petcock touch my valve cover when I mount the Clarke fuel tank:

-At the left side, a petcock exactly equal to the one I have in my (European) OEM fuel tank.
-At the right side, a petcock I just bought in eBay to a US supplier:

More over:

So, I have not tried it yet, but I bet the US petcock will fix my issue

Could you please US guys, check I'm right with my conclusions?

-JL
xt4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #1571
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,296
muffler modification

Well when I bought the bike the stock muffler had a rattle in it. So today I pulled the muffler and started to work on it. Pulled the baffle out of the rear and it seems that either someone has been in it before messing shit up or it just fell apart. One of the internal baffle rings was rolling around in there and the screen was busted out of the baffle. SO.........here is what I did. I had an end cap off an old muffler with a larger diameter outlet. I removed the loose crap out of the muffler and ditched the stock baffle. Drilled two 1/2" holes in the rear baffle and using a long pry bar widened the existing port of the exhaust to flow through. Then cleaned up the rear and welded the larger outlet on to the muffler. I do not have the bike here at work to crank it up and listen to it but I'm sure it will flow better and sound nicer than that little hole it was breathing through.

PICs

stock baffle.

New Baffle.

size difference.

stock 7/8"

new 1 1/8"

Inner Baffle removal and hole drilling.

New end cap ready to be welded.

Will post a pic of it on the bike later.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #1572
truck6driver
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xt4ever
So, I have not tried it yet, but I bet the US petcock will fix my issue

Could you please US guys, check I'm right with my conclusions?

-JL
JL,

My XT has a petcock with the little bowl on the bottom like the one on the left.

Ray
Old 09-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #1573
truck6driver
The Fireman

Well I came home this morning and installed the muffler. It sounds pretty good for not costing me a cent. Seems to pull a little better as I could loft the front end easer since I un corked the muffler. As for sound it is louder than stock but quieter than a Supertrapp. I really dislike the Supertrapp exhaust so I will stick with this until I can make a mid pipe to accept an FMF silencer.

Here are the pictures:

This is my bike.

Ray
Old 09-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #1574
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18th
Anyone tried the jetting kit from this place?
http://myworld.ebay.ca/6sigmaengineering/
I was thinking of calling and asking what size jets come in the kit. Seems like a decent price if it includes a selection of richer jets that seem to be tough/impossible to find.
I found it via a post over in Thumpertalk.

Psycho

just got one......and promptly returned it. It contained one jet and the rest was drill bits and needle shims. No thanks.
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #1575
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,229
My beloved XT 350 is long gone but I still have the the sales literature I got back in the nineties. If someone would like it, I'll mail it to them for just the cost of postage. First to send a PM with a address takes it home.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote