Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2008, 05:53 AM   #151
spokexx
boob

Oddometer: 86
if i were to drill out my secondary main to a 120, what drill bit size would i use?
spokexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:01 AM   #152
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokexx
if i were to drill out my secondary main to a 120, what drill bit size would i use?
If you use 1.1 mm drill you'll end up with a jet size around 112-115 and with a 1.2 mm drill you'll have a jet that's also a bit over 120, hope you see where i'm pointing.
jegrmajstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:06 AM   #153
spokexx
boob

wow!!! it doesnt take much to go from 112-115 to over 120 with a slightly larger drill bit. Just a hair. Thank you.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:28 AM   #154
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokexx
wow!!! it doesnt take much to go from 112-115 to over 120 with a slightly larger drill bit. Just a hair. Thank you.
The jet sizes are simple: 120 means 120/100 of a mm aka 1.2mm, but when you use drills of such small sizes there will always be slight variances in the size of the hole, measure in a couple of 1/100 of a mm, so that's why there's a difference between the drill size and the actual size.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #155
nails1
nails1

Oddometer: 187
Drilling is a charming notion, but you probably won't find the right sizes.
I've heard of taking the jet to a jeweler to put on his lathe.
For me, it was easier to go through my pile of old jets and put two old jets together: tap and screw one with the right insides into one with the right outsides, then make it all right with solder. As I recall, the outside threads should be 8 X 1mm. I think the height of the jet matters for this carburator.
nails1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #156
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,381
My Submarine!

Here's a picture of my little mule before a ride last week...sure wasn't that clean when I got home! Got a little too brave and tried to cross a section of trail with knee high swamp and dropped her! Completely sub-merged! Took 20-30 minutes to get her running agian! Had to empty/clean airbox, full of mud and water...drain bowl twice...dry spark plug...kick about a hundred times and she finally fire up!!! Spit water for a coupla minutes but kept on thumping!!!

juames screwed with this post 01-30-2014 at 07:33 AM
juames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #157
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Looks nice Well, that was to prove that the 350's aren't just bulletproof, they're swampproof too, to some extent

'85 Moto Guzzi V65 TT (never heard of it?)

'93 Yamaha XT 350 Touroduro (sold & missed)
Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #158
The Full Monty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Here's a picture of my little mule before a ride last week...sure wasn't that clean when I got home! Got a little too brave and tried to cross a section of trail with knee high swamp and dropped her! Completely sub-merged! Took 20-30 minutes to get her running agian! Had to empty/clean airbox, full of mud and water...drain bowl twice...dry spark plug...kick about a hundred times and she finally fire up!!! Spit water for a coupla minutes but kept on thumping!!!
Looks great! What type of tank bags are those and do you like them??

KLR650 '09
The Full Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #159
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames
I did that to mine two weeks after I bought it new in '86. I found a 6' deep ditch inside what looked like a big puddle in the trail. It is a little disconcerting to pump muddy water out of the plug hole of your brand new bike. Did I mention it took a while to drag the water logged beast out of a hole that deep without drowning ourselves? But I rode it home and no harm ever seemed to come from the swim.

BTW, looks good in blue. I like that better than my old red bike.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #160
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
Won't start

My previously reliable XT350 won't start. It's been sitting for about 3 months. I charged up the battery and kicked to no avail. I sprayed some starter fluid in and it started but failed to run. After about six if these episodes I am at a loss. I feel sure its a fuel problem. Any ideas ?
It was starting and running great the last times I used it.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:14 PM   #161
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,381
Tank bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL
Looks great! What type of tank bags are those and do you like them??
They actually are ATV tank bag. They work great! The gas cap holds the top on, and the sides are velcored to tanks. Rain proof, and mostly water proof. Submerged them in a swamp last week and only a few drops got in.

Cheap too, like 25 bucks I think i paid...bought them hear: http://www.shopprocycle.us/productde...cts=tank%20bag

They have a coupla differnet types.
juames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:57 AM   #162
spokexx
boob

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones
My previously reliable XT350 won't start. It's been sitting for about 3 months. I charged up the battery and kicked to no avail. I sprayed some starter fluid in and it started but failed to run. After about six if these episodes I am at a loss. I feel sure its a fuel problem. Any ideas ?
It was starting and running great the last times I used it.
I will assume it's a clogged jet or stuck float valve. Sitting for 3 months can gum up the gas. On all my bikes (street and dirt) i always run the carbs dry before parking, especially my IT175. Turn off the petcock and let it idle or ride until it stalls. So just pull the carb off and get a can of carb cleaner with the little straw and squirt all the little holes. Then for another measure, fill your tank with fresh gas and put in a bottle of STP complete fuel system cleaner (the one with jet fuel). Does the trick for me, even on my CB750F.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #163
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
I agree with the last post. But mine also had a strange issue from day one that lasted the whole 17 years that I owned it. Anytime it sat for a while I had to turn the fuel tap off, drain the primary carb float bowl and then turn the fuel tap back on.

If you didn't do that you could kick it a 1000 times and it would not start. Drain the float bowl and it would start second or third kick. The long time mechanic that worked on the bike never figured that one out. It just was. But you might want to try it before taking it apart.

And DO NOT BEND THE FLOAT OUT OF ADJUSTMENT when you pull the float bowl off. There is a rubber hose on the back of the float bowl that needs to come off first so the bowl will drop straight down. If you bend the float out of adjustment you be hating life and fabbing a Yamatool to readjust it.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 09-23-2008 at 09:16 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #164
spokexx
boob

well, i rode my xt350 to work this morning. First time since i bought it and put it on a diet and tweaked the carbs. Wow!! im impressed. It had great bottom end to mid pull, which will be perfect in the woods and trails. It feels much different than my xt550, more.... upright. Im sure it has a steeper fork angle. My 550 feels a bit more relaxed and long.
I put a 128 jet in the primary side, and had the secondary drilled out a bit larger. I dont know what size, my mechanic did it for me and i forgot to note what size bit he used. I also put in a 48 pilot jet, i didnt even need the choke to start it nor did i have to feather the throttle. It was ready to rip right away. I also have a Uni filter in it and a Cobra exhaust. I still have to swap on the knobbies, but ill enjoy motarding the roads around here for a few days. Ill get pics up soon.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #165
BCgser
BCgser

Oddometer: 6
XT350 does not like to cruise downhill

After reading this enthusiastic thread on the XT350, I have new appreciation for my 1984 XT350. BUT now I have a carburator problem. It was running fine for a few years, but recently floods out when coasting downhill. Uphill and flat is no problem. If I sit for a couple of minutes, the carburator is fine again. I am guessing I need a float adjustment, I checked float height with a clear plastic tube attached to the bottom of the float chamber and visually aligning with the float chamber, but this was very rough measurment. I was told to take the carbs off and visually check the floats by turning the carb upside down and sighting along the top of the float chamber. Clymer manual shows a coaster enrichment diaphram which is rubber and visually it looks OK. I have tried carb cleaning and fresh gas, and this has helped the problem, but not cured it. Anyone solve this problem before on their XT350 ? No carb kits available, just make a guess order the next expensive part and wait a week.
BCgser is offline   Reply With Quote