Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #1726
AMCJEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
I have an 87 XT350 in CT I am looking to part with. It is probably best as a parts bike $250
http://nwct.craigslist.org/mcy/2064967976.html
AMCJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #1727
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm1219
Mine didn't work when i got the bike. I pulled it out of the case and could it turning in there. So i replaced the cable ($15 on ebay), works fine now.

you can stick something in the back of the tach and spin it to see if the needle moves to make sure that is working before you spend money on the cable.

You can use a drill to turn the tach and check it. Mine was broken at the case also. not sure if it is common or not. Make sure you grease it before you put one back on. The stocker was dry and greaseless.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #1728
truck6driver
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCJEEP
I have an 87 XT350 in CT I am looking to part with. It is probably best as a parts bike $250
http://nwct.craigslist.org/mcy/2064967976.html

I would be interested but you are too far away.

Ray
Old 11-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #1729
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,312
Hey quick question: how many turns out on the pilot air screw, provided you can access yours?

Alsoo, if you were chasing a bog off idle, where would you start whacking the bushes?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #1730
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Sounds like the consensus is two turns.

Found an interesting link, dont know if its been posted before, but thought it was kind of appropriate for this thread:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/33324339/S...T-350-Englisch
Old 12-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #1731
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlanderInVT View Post
I just finished installing heated grips to complement my heated vest. Think the XT should be able to power them both on low? I suppose it isn't a huge deal if I kill the battery, but I'd rather not burn out the R/R.

I would say likely not. My heated grips will drain my battery in about an hour while riding. Not all bikes are identical and you may not ride at the same RPM I normally do, so I'm sure there's some variation here. The manual isn't very specific (particularly with amps and RPM), but it looks like there is somewhere around 40 to 55 watts generated on the DC circuit. The battery is charged from this circuit too, so depending on how much your battery needs to be charged, that will use up some of the power also. You have already installed them both, so you will be able to tell how well they work and how fast it will drain your battery. The good news is that that's all you'll need to worry about.
A regulator/rectifier works by converting AC to DC and allowing energy/electricity being produced by the stator that is not being used by the bike to be eliminated in the form of heat, which is carried away by the air passing through the fins of the RR as you ride. If it's asked to convert more electricity to heat than it can dissipate through the air, internals will overheat and melt (hence "burn out"). If you use all the electricity that your stator puts out, the RR's job becomes easier, it has less heat to dissipate. So essentially, you burn out an RR having the opposite problem that you have.
You could rewire your stator to put out a bit more power, but I'm not sure how much more you can get out of it, it's very small. I thought I heard someone say they got 100 watts out of it, but I wasn't clear if they were talking about only the DC circuit of the stator or not. If that was all on the DC circuit, that should do grips/vest/tail light/battery no problem. Another option is to replace your tail light bulb with an LED bulb. You'll save a few watts there, not much, but every little bit helps.
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #1732
FlatlanderInVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
I would say likely not. My heated grips will drain my battery in about an hour while riding. Not all bikes are identical and you may not ride at the same RPM I normally do, so I'm sure there's some variation here. The manual isn't very specific (particularly with amps and RPM), but it looks like there is somewhere around 40 to 55 watts generated on the DC circuit. The battery is charged from this circuit too, so depending on how much your battery needs to be charged, that will use up some of the power also. You have already installed them both, so you will be able to tell how well they work and how fast it will drain your battery. The good news is that that's all you'll need to worry about.
A regulator/rectifier works by converting AC to DC and allowing energy/electricity being produced by the stator that is not being used by the bike to be eliminated in the form of heat, which is carried away by the air passing through the fins of the RR as you ride. If it's asked to convert more electricity to heat than it can dissipate through the air, internals will overheat and melt (hence "burn out"). If you use all the electricity that your stator puts out, the RR's job becomes easier, it has less heat to dissipate. So essentially, you burn out an RR having the opposite problem that you have.
You could rewire your stator to put out a bit more power, but I'm not sure how much more you can get out of it, it's very small. I thought I heard someone say they got 100 watts out of it, but I wasn't clear if they were talking about only the DC circuit of the stator or not. If that was all on the DC circuit, that should do grips/vest/tail light/battery no problem. Another option is to replace your tail light bulb with an LED bulb. You'll save a few watts there, not much, but every little bit helps.
Yeah, I'm noticing that it doesn't do a very good job powering them both, so I'll have to alternate. I also hadn't thought the whole R/R thing through very much, and you are absolutely right. The only concern is killing the battery, but it's not such a big deal on a bike like the XT since there is no fuel pump or anything like that.
FlatlanderInVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #1733
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Sounds like the consensus is two turns.

Found an interesting link, dont know if its been posted before, but thought it was kind of appropriate for this thread:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/33324339/S...T-350-Englisch
2 is a good place to start.
I'd say 2 1/2 - 3 though.
To be honest, I don't know where mine is exactly anymore. You'll know when you have it right though. It'll start first kick most times.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #1734
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,152
Phone Number?

Do you have a PH number? Their web site is down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
I would just send it to these guys and let them upgrade it. I got great service from them when I have the CB stator upgraded. Cost $90 plus shipping.
http://www.customrewind.com/

Ray
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #1735
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
2 is a good place to start.
I'd say 2 1/2 - 3 though.
To be honest, I don't know where mine is exactly anymore. You'll know when you have it right though. It'll start first kick most times.
3+/- works for me. Back to 1&1/2 when I do the emissions test, then back out to about 3 for it to run right. It'll start and warm up much better and may help cure your bog. Shimming the needle helps there as well.
Psycho
00 and '07 YAM TTR 90s (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #1736
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Wow! 3 is a lot, for my 1/2 turn BMW ears

Makes sense. Will try.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #1737
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post

http://web.archive.org/web/200806111...tomrewind.com/
That domain has been dead for 2 years.
Theres the link the the old site.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #1738
truck6driver
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post

Custom Rewind
2014 Pratt Hwy
Birmingham, AL.

(205) 798-7282
1-800-798-7282

When you talk to the guy he has a speach impediment but knows what he is talking about. I know a person that treated him (on the phone) like he was dumb, when actually they were the dumb ones, just because of the way he sounded. What a jackass.

Don't know why the web site is down. HUH??

Ray
Old 12-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #1739
truck6driver
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
http://web.archive.org/web/200806111...tomrewind.com/
That domain has been dead for 2 years.
Theres the link the the old site.
I was on the site in May and ordered from them then. Can't have been that long ago. I even have an invoice to prove it.

Ray
Old 12-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #1740
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,152
Question Headlight Change

Wanting to upgrade the XT headlight. I've been told by Baja Designs that the stator can't be rewound. Does anyone know of other options? I would like to have a 90/100w light. If I were to change my other lights to led's would that help give more power to a brighter HL?
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote