Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #1786
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Was the stock chain an O-Ring without a master link clip?

I'm selling my '98 and the potential buyer tells me the stock chain was a riveted o-ring chain without the master link and clip. Since my bike has a master link, clip and no O-rings, he's telling me the bike has more miles on it's than showing on the odo...

I thought the stock chains were the little steel 428s with a master link and clip.

Haven't replaced the chain on this bike, but maybe the previous owner did?

Thanks
Psycho
00 and '07 YAM TTR 90s (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #1787
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
1 No timming light is needed jut get the T mark on the magneto lined up then the cams then put the chain over the cams
Then slide in the cam guide in (front of the engine) then push the cam tensioner in and recheck the timming marks
there is also a cam chain guin in the middle of the cams
2 it goes in the front of the motor it's held buy the cam cover
3 remember to rechecj the timming after all is installed and kick over one
I did this twice as the brand new OEM base gasket did not last (made one myself out of gasket paper still working fine)
You can save yourself a little trouble by using a screwdriver to push in the rear chain guide to check the marks before installing the tensioner.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #1788
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18th View Post
I'm selling my '98 and the potential buyer tells me the stock chain was a riveted o-ring chain without the master link and clip. Since my bike has a master link, clip and no O-rings, he's telling me the bike has more miles on it's than showing on the odo...

I thought the stock chains were the little steel 428s with a master link and clip.

Haven't replaced the chain on this bike, but maybe the previous owner did?

Thanks
Psycho
I don't remember ever having to use a chain breaker on my bike.
I'm pretty sure they came with a master link. The OEM Parts diagram shows a master link too.
It was definitely not an o-ring chain.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #1789
cjm1219
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quick question.

Bike is running like a champ....but.

Getting white smoke at startup. Clears out in a minute or so. Doesn't come back untill the motor has completly cooled.
cjm1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #1790
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm1219 View Post
Quick question.

Bike is running like a champ....but.

Getting white smoke at startup. Clears out in a minute or so. Doesn't come back untill the motor has completly cooled.
Valve seals.
When the bike is sitting , the oil leaks down past the seals into the intake or exhaust tract and pools there. It then burns up at start up.

You have to have a valve spring compressor to change them.

If you are comfortable removing and replacing the head, just pull the head and take it to a local shop. It should only cost you 1/2 hr shop rate. It's also a good idea to get the valves lapped.
You will need to reset the valve clearances.

You can ride it like it is, but I wouldn't let it go too long.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #1791
cjm1219
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
uh oh.....This sounds like may blow my theme of "cheap" on this bike.

Not sure if i am comfortable removing the head. Haven't done it. Is it hard to do?

I need to buy a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Valve seals.
When the bike is sitting , the oil leaks down past the seals into the intake or exhaust tract and pools there. It then burns up at start up.

You have to have a valve spring compressor to change them.

If you are comfortable removing and replacing the head, just pull the head and take it to a local shop. It should only cost you 1/2 hr shop rate. It's also a good idea to get the valves lapped.
You will need to reset the valve clearances.

You can ride it like it is, but I wouldn't let it go too long.
cjm1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #1792
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm1219 View Post
uh oh.....This sounds like may blow my theme of "cheap" on this bike.

Not sure if i am comfortable removing the head. Haven't done it. Is it hard to do?

I need to buy a manual.
Now that I think of it, you may want to get a dealer price on replacing the seals. With the right tools, they may be able to do it without removing the head.
Otherwise, removing the head is easy. Putting it back on properly is the hard part.
This is a pretty easy bike to learn on though.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #1793
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Now that I think of it, you may want to get a dealer price on replacing the seals. With the right tools, they may be able to do it without removing the head.
Otherwise, removing the head is easy. Putting it back on properly is the hard part.
This is a pretty easy bike to learn on though.
Removing the head is a pretty easy task. Clymer manual will walk you right through it. Plus, if you have any questions, the guys on this board will hook you up almost instantly.
Psycho
Old 01-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #1794
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

No more XT for me (for a while)

Well,
I sold my '98 XT yesterday. Kind of a sad day. My folks bought me my '93 brand new as a high school graduation gift. I rode it all over Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Arizona, and Alaska as the Air Force moved me around. I crawled many rocky singletrack miles in CO, through the really tight twisty trees in Eastern Oklahoma, several enduros on the BJEC and TSCEC, on highways, interstates, sand dunes, and the deserts of Arizona. I finally traded up for a low mileage '98 last year, and enjoyed riding that one as well. While the carb was annoying, and the airboots often needed replacing, that bike could go anywhere on dirt or street at any time, absolutely reliable. When miles from nowhere, completely alone, with nothing more than the stock Yamaha toolkit, you were rarely in danger of being stranded with that bike. A quick read of the Clymer manual and a few simple hand tools, you could fix almost anything in an evening or two in the garage.

I'm going to give it a run on my dualsported '02 DRZ400E for a bit. I bought it non-running for a steal, and fixed it up as a decent dualsport bike. Suspension is it's only real advantage. I'll miss that 6th gear and ickstarter the most. So, I'll likely be off on the DRZ thread more often than not, but I may end up back here yet in a couple of years. When I unloaded the XT at it's new home, and it fired in one kick stone cold, and just sat there purring at me, I almost took it back home for good.

Psycho
Old 01-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #1795
PCK_4xCustoms
lost

Oddometer: 262
See you around Psycho don't be a stranger.

I got mine going again, no idea what it was. Put everything back together and it started. Thanks for the tips and links though they provide some info for later.
PCK_4xCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #1796
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Put the finishing farkle on my setup today, the ugly, but functional topbox

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #1797
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,240
Well fellows it seems that I was the victim of a scam. the XT350 I had picked up and repaired had bogus paperwork. The DMV sent me a letter stating that my title app. was denied and the bike was stolen.
Well I kept every e-mail and peice of paperwork including Phone #s on the deal. The LOE's have all they need to arrest the guy now, but I'm out a bike.

I had picked up some parts for it during my fix up stage and will pass them on to a fellow XT rider for cheap if anyone needs them. Not looking to post up in flea market as they are not hurting anything on the shelf. But if anyone needs what I have I will entertain offers by PM.

rear shock
both cam shafts with gears
front fender (rough shape though)
new brake shoe return springs
new brake line copper washers

Thanks guys.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #1798
Caffeinatedcyclist
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Alright, since my last post I have cleaned the carbs, installed the timing chain, cams, and set the timing. I also installed the tensioner, new air filter, new oil filter, installed various new gaskets, etc. The only thing I need to figure out is where the lines go on the carbs. I know where the fuel line goes and the placement of the small line at the bottom of the float bowl but I have two more that I don't know the placement of. I can't figure it out from my manual. If anyone has a good pic or describe it please post up thanks.
Caffeinatedcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #1799
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinatedcyclist View Post
Alright, since my last post I have cleaned the carbs, installed the timing chain, cams, and set the timing. I also installed the tensioner, new air filter, new oil filter, installed various new gaskets, etc. The only thing I need to figure out is where the lines go on the carbs. I know where the fuel line goes and the placement of the small line at the bottom of the float bowl but I have two more that I don't know the placement of. I can't figure it out from my manual. If anyone has a good pic or describe it please post up thanks.
Does this help ?

Most likely there vent lines ? THink that there are 3 vent lines, one on the bottom two on the sides (Not near my bike now)
Nuno
webmonstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #1800
Caffeinatedcyclist
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks to everyone thats helping me fix this bike. Thanks for the diagram Webmonstro. It does help me understand the carbs better. I actually found a better manual than the one I started the build with and bought it. It's got the same tear down diagram in it. I still cannot tell the routing of the hoses for certain from the manual. Im posting a pic (sorry its a crappy iphone pic, im working on sourcing a better camera) so anyone feel free to shout out if something looks wrong.
Attached Images

Caffeinatedcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote