Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #181
nails1
nails1

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokexx
(5'11" and 145 lbs suited up, Yeah im a light weight and i think that's why this bike is great for me. A friend told me before i bought it that he didnt like them when he rode one years ago. Well, he's an inch taller and upwards of 200lbs, if not more. So i can understand his experience. he was too much for the bike. I think the XT350 is the perfect midsize dual sport for people between 135 and 170 lbs.
+1 on that. I'm a half-foot shorter than SoundAsleepRecording, and on the road the XT can feel cramped (seat to pegs). But it does give me a lot of room to move in rough stuff.
nails1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:03 AM   #182
i82much
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Parts availability?

Hi all - thinking about picking up a used XT350 - they seem to be exactly what I want in a dual sport. But I was a little worried about parts availability since the bike is discontinued - have y'all had trouble finding parts when you need them?
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:10 AM   #183
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much
Hi all - thinking about picking up a used XT350 - they seem to be exactly what I want in a dual sport. But I was a little worried about parts availability since the bike is discontinued - have y'all had trouble finding parts when you need them?
Although the XT 350 wasn't even sold here in Slovenia (mine came from Italy), I had no problems with the parts whatsoever. The only thing is that the dealer here doesn't have them on stock, so the parts need to be shipped from the main Yamaha Europe stock in Holland. This takes ussualy a week or two the most, but the parts always come, no matter how specific they are.
That's the case for XT350-only parts like gaskets, fairing, engine parts etc., more common parts like oil filter (same as in many Yamaha bikes, always in stock) or brake pads (same as Super Tenere rear pads, also always in stock). Clutch pads are the same as in RD 200, 350 and 400, so there are very few availability issues in most cases.

'85 Moto Guzzi V65 TT (never heard of it?)

'93 Yamaha XT 350 Touroduro (sold & missed)
jegrmajstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #184
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,783
Quote:
Never a problem. 2 to 3 working days just like anything else that isn't stocked. I usually hit ebay for the expensive stuff. There is always one or two being parted out.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #185
i82much
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Thanks! I really do think I'll go buy this 97 I found today. 4k miles $1500, sound reasonable?

One other thing, will an XT350 pull my 200 lb butt up a hill at say, 65 mph?
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #186
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Quote:
Thanks! I really do think I'll go buy this 97 I found today. 4k miles $1500, sound reasonable?

One other thing, will an XT350 pull my 200 lb butt up a hill at say, 65 mph?
Will, without problems, but perhaps not 65, because the top speed of the bike is around 85 . If it can haul my 6 ft 2 in and 220 lbs, it'll haul you too

Old 10-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #187
spokexx
boob

Oddometer: 86
battery explosion

so i replaced the stock lead acid battery with a NiMh battery pack. It has about 8 AA cells (12v) and weighs only a fraction of the big one. Its been working fine for the past 2 weeks, it only has the make the brake light, turn signals, and horn work. Obviously we have no starter on our 350's. So after riding today, i smell something burning. Then i hear this sizzle sound coming from where the battery is. Off comes the side panel and sure enough the battery pack is smoking and sizzling. I managed to pull the bullet connectors off and get the pack out and on to the ground. Then looking down on it, it exploded like a firecracker and crap went up to my face. Thank goodness i still had my gloves, helmet and goggles on.
So back in went the lead acid battery. Anyone know why this would have happened? Was the charging system on the bike overcharging the pack? I know Baja Designs sells similar battery packs, thats where i got the idea. Im sure they wouldnt sell them if this didnt work out. I would still like to get some sort of alternative to that heavy battery in there. Does anyone know who makes a 12v lead acid battery thats half the weight of the stock one?
spokexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:07 AM   #188
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,333
Think your problems if I'm not mistaken the XT350 only takes a 6v battery...not a 12v...
juames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #189
spokexx
boob

Oddometer: 86
the TT350 is 6v and the XT350 is 12v.
spokexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:46 AM   #190
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

I looked into this a while back. I'm no expert, so I assumed if I got a battery thet had the same specs as the stock battery(Duty cycle-MaH) I'd be OK. I found one but it weighed about the same as the stocker and cost more so I abandoned the idea. Now I'm glad I did.
The stock battery is the smallest Lead acid batteries I could find so I 'don't think it leaves much room for improvement.
Battery eliminator mmight be a good way to go???
Old 10-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #191
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,080
I used a small sealed battery made for power equipment in my XT350. It was about the size of two decks of cards, it cost less than $30 (in 2003) and weighed less than half of what the stock battery weighs. All it runs is the brake light and turn signals at low rpm so you don't need much battery.

I have never seen a capacitor (aka battery eliminator) that worked worth a crap. Using a small sealed battery is the way to go. Zero spills, zero maintenance and they will take an outrageous beating. The one from XT350 also started my lawnmower for several years and ended up in my XL600 after the XT grenaded.

Five years of abuse out of a $30 battery is hard to beat.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #192
busta3396
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
xt 350 rack

Anyone know where to get a luggage rack for the xt 350 other that cycleracks.com, their racks look a little too big. thanks
busta3396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:07 AM   #193
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta3396
Anyone know where to get a luggage rack for the xt 350 other that cycleracks.com, their racks look a little too big. thanks
Isn't the original rack big enough? The mounting plates for topcases fit perfectly on.
For side cases there's a Hepco&Becker rack: http://www.hepco-becker.de/anbauanle...50443.0001.pdf or with a bit of DIY knowledge you can make one yourself.

Here's a pic of my XT350 with a 42l top case mounted on the original rack and DIY mounts for side bags (I know they look flimsy but they hold two full 15lbs bags in place)
http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00062cm1.jpg

and one with the bags on:

Old 10-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #194
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog
I have never seen a capacitor (aka battery eliminator) that worked worth a crap.
+1
Just throwing out ideas.
Then again, I rode with a battery that wouldn't hold a charge for years. At least a capaciter that won't hold a charge would be lighter.
This is on my list of 'Things I'm not going to bother doing unless I'm really bored'.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #195
busta3396
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jegrmajstr
Isn't the original rack big enough? The mounting plates
Original rack? all I have is a leather bag that is strapped down by a plastic holder. Is that all i need to put a case on top? By the way does Hepco & Becker ship to USA? thanks
busta3396 is offline   Reply With Quote