Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #2476
mharizanov
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks, I tried that today. The bike is louder and just slightly more powerful. It is quite hard to judge. I am a fan of stock bikes and would drill holes only if would make a whole lot difference, which I think is not the case.

I will try thinner oil on the filter as I used YAMALUBE 20W50 on it and suppose it is a bit too dense for an air filter.

mharizanov screwed with this post 08-07-2011 at 11:06 AM Reason: wrong oil type
mharizanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #2477
yzergod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Anybody have any thoughts as to why the tail light/stop lamp quit working? Not the bulb. Hidden fuse I don't know about?
Thanks!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #2478
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzergod View Post
Anybody have any thoughts as to why the tail light/stop lamp quit working? Not the bulb. Hidden fuse I don't know about?
Thanks!
no fuse
only two switch one on the front leaver one on the pedal

Nuno
webmonstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 AM   #2479
AndreMare
n00b

Oddometer: 6
xt350 side covers

Good day sport fans,

Does anybody have a left and right side cover(the plastic covers) for the xt 350 that they would like to let go to a special home?
AndreMare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:31 AM   #2480
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharizanov View Post
Thanks, I tried that today. The bike is louder and just slightly more powerful. It is quite hard to judge. I am a fan of stock bikes and would drill holes only if would make a whole lot difference, which I think is not the case.

I will try thinner oil on the filter as I used YAMALUBE 20W50 on it and suppose it is a bit too dense for an air filter.
To each his own. You said you wanted the lost power back. Well, to be frank, a stock XT350 is so restricted it does run like a 250. A rather weak 250 at that. If you want the lost power back then you need to remove the restrictions. The number one restriction is the tiny airbox opening breathing up under a seat with few openings for air.

If you are worried maintaining the original parts of your XT350 then buy another airbox cover and drill that one full of holes. It isn't really louder when you drill a bunch of small holes and put the sdecover back on. You want a stock then you ride a slow bike. You want more power then you modify it. You can't have it both ways with that bike.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #2481
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
To each his own. You said you wanted the lost power back. Well, to be frank, a stock XT350 is so restricted it does run like a 250. A rather weak 250 at that. If you want the lost power back then you need to remove the restrictions. The number one restriction is the tiny airbox opening breathing up under a seat with few openings for air.

If you are worried maintaining the original parts of your XT350 then buy another airbox cover and drill that one full of holes. It isn't really louder when you drill a bunch of small holes and put the sdecover back on. You want a stock then you ride a slow bike. You want more power then you modify it. You can't have it both ways with that bike.

One word of warning concerning the 50 air filter.
It sucks and if you open it up and the rear tire starts tossing crap where it can get to the filter, be prepared for a rebuild.
I changed my seat for an XT225 Corbin seat and the 225 seat pan sits higher and allowed the rear tire to toss mud, gravel, water, and even a stick into the airbox opening.

I would suggest adding a second foam filter of some kind in front of the OEM one to cure this issue if you open it up wrong.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #2482
mharizanov
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Well, to be frank, a stock XT350 is so restricted it does run like a 250. A rather weak 250 at that.
That's unpleasant to read , but motivating me to do the drilling :) Probably I will add some kind of metal net/grid to prevent sticks and gravel from going in the box as suggested. My bike is European one, so the supposedly 27hp version (engine 55V2).

Anyway - Thanks for the tip. Any other tips to let the beast out?
mharizanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #2483
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,810
I drilled my airbox cover only so all the holes were under the side cover using several rows of 1/4" holes. It never picked up any crap that way. The filter did get dirty a lot more quickly. But I was pretty diligent in oil changes and filter cleaning. Which might be why the original filter lasted from 1986 until 2003 even with all the extra air flow.

The only issue I ever had was with one creek crossing I used to ride a lot. That thing was too muddy to wheelie into and up to the seat. So your only option was to chug through it tank deep and pray. On that trail I covered the holes with duct tape to keep from drowning the bike. It got drowned there a couple times but not from those holes.

I actually did buy a second airbix cover and never used it. I sold it still in the plastic Yamabag when I parted out the bike. I also bought a second airbox cover for my XT200 back in 1982 because I drilled that airbox too. It is still sitting in my garage unused. Just like the XT200.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #2484
chef larry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Moto Stand

Any suggestions on how to put the bike up on the moto stand with one person or are two people better?
chef larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #2485
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef larry View Post
Any suggestions on how to put the bike up on the moto stand with one person or are two people better?

I do it alone all the time.
I just grab it towards the rear of the seat, and lift it up on the stand leaving the front wheel on the ground so I'm only lifting the rear.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #2486
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

It runs.....

For those that have been curious.......
I finished the shop remodel this morning.
Before: Just a pole barn, no ceiling and tin walls.

Then I got to work on the 350, and got it started.
New timing chain, rings and gaskets.
Started 2nd kick.
I was a little concerned I night be one tooth off on the crank after installing the timing chain tensioner but it wasn't or else I would still be there kicks.

Glad to have my two wheeler back again.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #2487
chef larry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
For those that have been curious.......
I finished the shop remodel this morning.
Before: Just a pole barn, no ceiling and tin walls.

Then I got to work on the 350, and got it started.
New timing chain, rings and gaskets.
Started 2nd kick.
I was a little concerned I night be one tooth off on the crank after installing the timing chain tensioner but it wasn't or else I would still be there kicks.

Glad to have my two wheeler back again.
Your shop looks nice with all the space to work on the bikes in the pictures with plenty of room out of the weather to finish all your projects.
chef larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #2488
Calkins
On Any Sunday...

Oddometer: 497
Question Rims

I have an idea for my junk, so I am looking for a pair of wheels. Stock rear, and a front laced on an 18" rim is what I want to end up with. Anyone have a pair laying around that they would sell me, super cheap??
2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #2489
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreMare View Post
Good day sport fans,

Does anybody have a left and right side cover(the plastic covers) for the xt 350 that they would like to let go to a special home?
Andre, send me a PM. I have the stock set from my 96(?), mainly blue. Right side is burn damaged at the rear/bottom but is still serviceable. Yours for cost of shipping if ya want them.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #2490
tclark968
M.O.A.

Oddometer: 2
1998 XT350 Passenger pegs

If someone has a pair of rear passenger pegs let me know. Mine is missing them. thanks
tclark968 is offline   Reply With Quote