Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #3496
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
I hate to be stupid but is there a classified section here? And I am not talking about the CIA:)
Flea Market
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14
NOMADS
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #3497
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post22163022
Pictures here
Old 08-28-2013, 04:17 AM   #3498
67imp
n00b

Oddometer: 3
keep the XT or switch to a WR

Ok here's the deal , I have a sweet xt350 , I love the bike and it fits my needs to a tee except as we all know in the dirt it does not have the suspension. I am a bigger guy at 5'9' and about 230 lbs. I ride single tracks here in Michigan and also ride it on the road to work .

My mind keeps telling me to go to a wr250 for the suspension in the woods but the xt height is about at my limit and I am worried about the wr height.

Th xt350 gives my a lot of grunt in the woods at lower gears without the need to rev the rpm's , will the wr250 fit the bill for a bigger guy?
67imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #3499
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67imp View Post
Ok here's the deal , I have a sweet xt350 , I love the bike and it fits my needs to a tee except as we all know in the dirt it does not have the suspension. I am a bigger guy at 5'9' and about 230 lbs. I ride single tracks here in Michigan and also ride it on the road to work .

My mind keeps telling me to go to a wr250 for the suspension in the woods but the xt height is about at my limit and I am worried about the wr height.

Th xt350 gives my a lot of grunt in the woods at lower gears without the need to rev the rpm's , will the wr250 fit the bill for a bigger guy?
WR's are a bit taller, have much better suspension, and have to be revved a lot more. If you're considering one, see if your local dealer has a demo you can ride around a bit and see what you think.

My current XT fix has been an XT600 rear shock with the circlip moved and preload and damping cranked all the way up, another 1.5 inches of preload on the fork springs, and 20wt fork oil. You can also swap in ~1991 YZ125/250 USD forks and triples. It's a pretty straightforward swap, but then you really need to do something about the rear. Also, if you are sitting down, try standing more. Not only does that help with the suspension issue, but it also helps balance and riding skill.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #3500
67imp
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
WR's are a bit taller, have much better suspension, and have to be revved a lot more. If you're considering one, see if your local dealer has a demo you can ride around a bit and see what you think.

My current XT fix has been an XT600 rear shock with the circlip moved and preload and damping cranked all the way up, another 1.5 inches of preload on the fork springs, and 20wt fork oil. You can also swap in ~1991 YZ125/250 USD forks and triples. It's a pretty straightforward swap, but then you really need to do something about the rear. Also, if you are sitting down, try standing more. Not only does that help with the suspension issue, but it also helps balance and riding skill.
is the 600 rear shock straight forward? I ride with the stand while riding and sit when you can so no problem there, I really do not want to dump additional fixes into the XT if a better /easier riding experience can be had on a WR if it fits my need. i love the bottom end torque the XT gives me and riding in the woods I usually am in 2nd gear 70% of the time. i am not looking to be riding a higher reving power band. thanks for the input as I am having a blast with this bike.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #3501
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
is the 600 rear shock straight forward? I ride with the stand while riding and sit when you can so no problem there, I really do not want to dump additional fixes into the XT if a better /easier riding experience can be had on a WR if it fits my need. i love the bottom end torque the XT gives me and riding in the woods I usually am in 2nd gear 70% of the time. i am not looking to be riding a higher reving power band. thanks for the input as I am having a blast with this bike.
If you look through this thread, there's some shock related info. It bolts in though on some XTs you have to do some grinding. it's not bad. An XT will never be as good suspension-wise as the WR or a different modern bike with cartridge suspension and a modern frame, so that is kind of a personal preference thing. For me, my XT is still more capable than I am as a rider, plus I use it as a commuter (2 sets of rims and tires) so it fits pretty well.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #3502
67imp
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
If you look through this thread, there's some shock related info. It bolts in though on some XTs you have to do some grinding. it's not bad. An XT will never be as good suspension-wise as the WR or a different modern bike with cartridge suspension and a modern frame, so that is kind of a personal preference thing. For me, my XT is still more capable than I am as a rider, plus I use it as a commuter (2 sets of rims and tires) so it fits pretty well.
Thanks I think I am in the same boat , My ability will most likly never surpass the XT but wondered about how much more enjoyable the experience may be with a fully capable suspension bike
Old 08-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #3503
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Now that I'm a XT350 owner are there any most do's? When I had a KLR650 and then a 250 there where most do carb tuning,and routing things to make them run and start better. Seems a heavy fork oil is in order from what I read, I'm just poking along so the stock suspension should be okay.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #3504
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:

Imp, just a side note: I sold my XT only because I wanted push button. Got a good deal on a 03 DRZ400E so no out-of-pocket on the swap (except for $1500 on farkles I've spent in the last couple weeks!)

I ran side-by-side with WR-250 during a ride in SW AZ a couple years ago. Swapped bikes for a little bit too. At the top, the two bikes were virtually neck 'n neck. In the ruff stuff, the WR couldn't lose me but the diff was apparent. Taller and lighter, I didn't need the first and didn't really care about the second. Too expensive for my wallet at the time and I'm now happy with the DRZ: more power and comfort than either the WR or XT.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #3505
hotrod44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
wow,

i can't believe u put that fender& and took wind scoops off ! well i guess it's better in the wind? each to there own
hotrod44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #3506
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc56 View Post
Now that I'm a XT350 owner are there any most do's? When I had a KLR650 and then a 250 there where most do carb tuning,and routing things to make them run and start better. Seems a heavy fork oil is in order from what I read, I'm just poking along so the stock suspension should be okay.
Yeah, there are a few things to look at, depending on your usage and how long you plan on keeping it. General maintenance first, though: air filter, fork oil, fork seals if they're bad, check the chain, rear suspension bushings need to be greased or can develop a lot of play, steering head bearings, engine oil/filter/screen, valve clearance.

With that done, I would look into:

plastic Clarke tank - if you ride off road, I consider this a must, because sooner or later you will dent or poke a hole through the stock steel tank. I got mine used pretty cheap, and get about 250 miles a tank, if not more.

bark busters

shorter turn signals, as the massive stock ones always seemed to catch branches

If you need a new chain, look into the 520 chain conversion. I converted mine, and in 2k+ miles of hard riding it hasn't needed adjustment at all

Drill out the pilot screw on the slide carb and adjust it properly. This will vary by bike, but mine likes somewhere around 2.5 turns out, and starts in the first 1 to 3 kicks almost every time.

Shim the needle on the secondary slightly - improved my throttle response

They tend to be jetted a little lean from the factory, so going up on the main jet can help a little. I think stock is 125, and you can get a 135 from an XT600. That was too rich for me, so I put the stock back in the main and I think I have a 122 in the secondary now, but it's been too long for me to remember. Starts getting too rich above about 7500 revs, but it has come in handy as a sort of rev limiter a few times now.

2 common engine failure points: plastic oil pump gears and the timing chain tensioner. There is a small bleed screw on the top of the oil filter cap - loosen that with the engine running. If oil comes out, you're good. It's a volume-oiled system rather than a pressure one, so if there is oil, that's all you need to worry about. Pressure spec is something like 1.9 psi, iirc. That's why there isn't a warning light. The oil pump only oils the top end, so in the event of a failure, the bottom end will still actually be properly lubed.

I'm not sure why the tensioner fails, but it sounds like a bunch of marbles in the engine because the chain starts flopping around, and eventually stretches and needs replacement. This is probably the number 1 failure point, at least that I've seen. I spent the $50 on a manual adjuster for peace of mind and have no problems since (mine had a failed adjuster when I got it, as well as a severely stretched chain, with only 6300 miles on the clock).

Otherwise, basically everything you need to know is in this thread somewhere. The XT is a good, solid bike, and the 6 speed and engine are great, but the suspension is pretty soft and there is no aftermarket, really. People have done some really cool mods to them, but there's not much off the shelf. They are cheap and easy to maintain and will go forever if you respect the suspension limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod44 View Post
i can't believe u put that fender& and took wind scoops off ! well i guess it's better in the wind? each to there own
Not really sure who you're talking to?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #3507
hotrod44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
2000 yamaha xt 350 gray plastic crankcase

i have a few scratches on the gray plastic crankcase above the shifter lever and needs striped and painted. so if anyone knows the color name # please let me know thanks
hotrod44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #3508
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks good info,not sure how long I'll be keeping it do to my short attention span.
Where do you get the manual adjuster for the timing chain?
I like the idea of Clark tank, my tank already has a few dents, when the light was just right when I got it home I noticed the whole left side of the tank is pushed in. having said that I don't have to worry about that first drop!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #3509
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc56 View Post
Thanks good info,not sure how long I'll be keeping it do to my short attention span.
Where do you get the manual adjuster for the timing chain?
I like the idea of Clark tank, my tank already has a few dents, when the light was just right when I got it home I noticed the whole left side of the tank is pushed in. having said that I don't have to worry about that first drop!
yeah, definitely true. I don't know that I could ever own a pristine offroad bike. I would be afraid to ride it. I got the tensioner on eBay, and I think it was $50 shipped. It will leak a little oil around the threads, but the peace of mind is worth it for me. For a while I was running a factory tensioner converted to manual, but it was very difficult to adjust and really ended up being more a pain than the money savings was worth, so
i just bought the one on eBay.

gearheadE30 screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 09:30 PM
Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 AM   #3510
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,162
Quote:
Thanks I think I am in the same boat , My ability will most likly never surpass the XT but wondered about how much more enjoyable the experience may be with a fully capable suspension bike
You might be surprised at how much more ability you have on better suspension. I rode three Shenandoah 500's on my XT350 and could barely walk after each day. My knees would ache too badly and my thigh muscles would be too tired to move. Plus I was always THAT GUY everybody was waiting for at trail junctions. And that was a ten years younger me with fully functional ankles and knees.

The same ride done four times on my LC4E has convinced me to never go back to lousy suspension. I felt good enough to ride into town for pizza after the last ride there despite riding much faster and harder. There really is that much difference between an XT and a bike with decent suspension. Suspension is the whole reason that I parted out my XT the last time it blew up and bought a KTM.

I find that I can do most of my offroad riding sitting down on my KTM's. That makes all the difference to me. Even sitting down my KTM's suck up whoops, jumps and trail hack at speeds that would have me standing (and praying) while the XT bottomed the suspension at both ends and tried to spit me off. And it doesn't have to be an orange bike. Even my buddy's XR650L feels like a Cadillac compared to my old XT.

There was a lot I liked about that XT. It is fairly light weight and low plus it has one of the sweetest motors I have ridden. But lack of suspension is what ultimately doomed it for me.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 05:16 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote