ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #31
nails1
nails1
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: New Mexico
Oddometer: 187
I rode MX in late 70's and only street since, so I'm not the best of judges. Got a 99 XT 350 last month (1400 miles, $2K, not the best of care). I don't really understand why folks are so apologetic about it, like DR having more power (both are 27hp at 7600-8K). Not sure about that "17hp restriction" (mine is apparently after that). Seems to run great.
Right now, I'm waiting on carb parts mostly to replace bad rubber (definitely fuel leaks, suspect air leaks). I'm also fussing with jetting -- I live at 7500 ft elevation, so the Webistan jetting info doesn't work for me ;( Moose mini bars and handguards installed.
Everybody says to do the 428 to 520 chain swap.
From what I've found, the only significant and easy power mod appears to be Supertrapp and jetting. This "XT350 power" thread as various info http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...ht=XT350+power Seem to be mixed reviews about White Bros powerup kit (if even still available).
I've heard of progressive spring replacement for forks, as well as fork swaps (seem to lead to a lot of other fussing). This site http://www.xt350.de/viewtopic.php?t=2061 lists the original front spring specs.
- Frontspring : K1 = 3,4 N/mm (19,6 lb/in)
- length new : 580 mm (22,835 in)
- lenght bad : 575 mm (22,638 in)
Seems like something might swap-in off the shelf -- anybody know of a way to sort that out? This site has more info http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-437922.html
I understand rear progressive swaps are available for some $500.
I've given up on using an oil cooler for various reasons, including messing with that oil line to the head seems like a bad idea after all. Has anyone had luck with an oil temp gage on this sump system?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263871 has specs for a roll-your-own battery eliminator.
nails1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #32
TTKlaus
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: New Mexico
Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by nails1
I rode MX in late 70's and only street since, so I'm not the best of judges. Got a 99 XT 350 last month (1400 miles, $2K, not the best of care). I don't really understand why folks are so apologetic about it, like DR having more power (both are 27hp at 7600-8K). Not sure about that "17hp restriction" (mine is apparently after that). Seems to run great.
Right now, I'm waiting on carb parts mostly to replace bad rubber (definitely fuel leaks, suspect air leaks). I'm also fussing with jetting -- I live at 7500 ft elevation, so the Webistan jetting info doesn't work for me ;( Moose mini bars and handguards installed.
Everybody says to do the 428 to 520 chain swap.
From what I've found, the only significant and easy power mod appears to be Supertrapp and jetting. This "XT350 power" thread as various info http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...ht=XT350+power Seem to be mixed reviews about White Bros powerup kit (if even still available).
I've heard of progressive spring replacement for forks, as well as fork swaps (seem to lead to a lot of other fussing). This site http://www.xt350.de/viewtopic.php?t=2061 lists the original front spring specs.
- Frontspring : K1 = 3,4 N/mm (19,6 lb/in)
- length new : 580 mm (22,835 in)
- lenght bad : 575 mm (22,638 in)
Seems like something might swap-in off the shelf -- anybody know of a way to sort that out? This site has more info http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-437922.html
I understand rear progressive swaps are available for some $500.
I've given up on using an oil cooler for various reasons, including messing with that oil line to the head seems like a bad idea after all. Has anyone had luck with an oil temp gage on this sump system?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263871 has specs for a roll-your-own battery eliminator.
I have an oilcooler on my 350. Also, I used to run a Supertrapp, but now I'm convinced that the noise/power tradeoff is not worth it. For your elevation I would think that a 116-118 primary main and a 120 secondary main is in the ballpark. I also live in NM near 6500 ft.

TTKlaus
__________________
Do it in the Dirt!
1974 DT250, 1980 TT500, 1986 TT350, 1993 KLX650C, 03 KTM450EXC
TTKlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:07 AM   #33
nails1
nails1
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: New Mexico
Oddometer: 187
Thanks. I think XT and TT got way different stock jetting. I just ordered 104/124, which I believe is one (small) step lean from stock (my plugs are a black kind of tan). How did you fit the cooler? Maybe PM a photo? I'm near Pecos. Carb parts probably won't make it this weekend tho.
nails1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #34
TTKlaus
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: New Mexico
Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by nails1
Thanks. I think XT and TT got way different stock jetting. I just ordered 104/124, which I believe is one (small) step lean from stock (my plugs are a black kind of tan). How did you fit the cooler? Maybe PM a photo? I'm near Pecos. Carb parts probably won't make it this weekend tho.
Nails,

I'm just down the road in Lamy. I've found that the closer together you can get the 2 carbs in jet sizes the better they work, they are a pain in the ass until you get them right. I will try to get a pic posted about my cooler, it hooks into the oilfilter cover (custom made), that way all of the oil gets cooled, not just the oil that goes up into the head.

TTKlaus
__________________
Do it in the Dirt!
1974 DT250, 1980 TT500, 1986 TT350, 1993 KLX650C, 03 KTM450EXC
TTKlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #35
StuckXJ
Adventurer
 
StuckXJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 61
I'm lost as to what to try next so I was hoping one of you guys could help. When I put the bike away for the winter it was running well. I change the oild tear apart the carb, and fresh gas... Now it starts like it used to, one kick but, it revs high but besides that runns great for about 1 min or just far enough, usually down a hill, away from my tools and a safe place to wrench. (far and few between on a college campus) So then i try and kick start it for a few and it usually starts with only a little more trouble than usual. But now it revs high and has no power, shifting into gear is enough to kick it. Adjusted the clutch, I first thought that to be my problem, but no... I can fiddle the choke, as i had to last year, to get it to idel right but still no power. If I give it gas it will hesitate then rev but still once i try to get it rolling it just bogs and dies unless i grab the clutch. I was thinking maybe the petcock, its old and needs to be replaced but up until now has been working ok. I was thinking that the bowl was draining out of gas and not filling up fast enough to keep going? Once it sits for a while, 20 min or so, and I start it it will then act like it did in the beginning, runs great for a min or so. Only 2 weeks left untill summer break and i'll tear it down at home and paint it up nice replacing all the old warn parts, but for now its just taunting me sitting outside the dorm window. Thanks for any help!
-Steve
__________________
1989 Yamaha XT350
http://s323.photobucket.com/albums/nn479/StuckXJ/
StuckXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:10 AM   #36
Ziggy
n00b
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 3
Xt 350 Trouble

I just got a 2000 XT350 it seems to be backfiring through the carb. It
starts good but when it gets warmed up it misses and backfires through
the carb. I changed the spark plug and looked for air leaks. Changed
the secondary carb inlet which the rubber had separated from the
mount. The air filter is clean I even left the cover off but no
difference. I checked the gas flow from the petcock and it's full
stream. I'm stumped! Also do these bikes always run hot?
__________________
Bikes are like good friends
They may come and go
But you never forget one.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #37
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer
 
SkidMarx's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Ortonville, MI
Oddometer: 1,675
I can't believe I missed this thread.

My '90 XT350 Post rebuild.
Stripped it down to the frame.
Cleaned repainted, and/or polished everything. in process pix here
Put new fork seals in with 15wt oil (thats how it all started)
Added seal savers.
Moved the clip on the rear shock down one spot.
The fenders are from a YZ 125. Front one is shimmed a little so it fits.
The rear is the back 1/3rd cut down and heated a little so it would fit better.
Cut the stock plate holder cut down and rolled up further into the fender.
Added a LED brake/tail light.
Relocated the case vent.




see a few more pix here

Other mods already done.
Uni air filter
Home made PowerNow inserts
Rejetted
Heavy duty valve springs w/Ti retainers
Repositioned horn for better airflow in left scoop
Ground the weld off of the inside of the header pipe. (not sure if it helped any)
H4 Headlight bulb.
__________________
'90 XT350
'08 WR250R
GLDS
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:59 AM   #38
The Full Monty
Adventurer
 
The Full Monty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Clear Lake Shores, TX
Oddometer: 97
Question Turn Signal Flasher

Hey does anyone know where the turn signal flasher is located? I think it is under the tank, but it would be nice to know before I get started.

Also, do I have to get a specific Yamaha flasher or will any do?

Thanks!
__________________
It is a lot easier to die, then it is to use your head. R.A. Heinlein

KLR650 '09
The Full Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #39
The Full Monty
Adventurer
 
The Full Monty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Clear Lake Shores, TX
Oddometer: 97
Thumb SkidMarx

SkidMarx, Great job on the '90 XT! Hope mine looks that good one day!
__________________
It is a lot easier to die, then it is to use your head. R.A. Heinlein

KLR650 '09
The Full Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #40
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer
 
SkidMarx's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Ortonville, MI
Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL
SkidMarx, Great job on the '90 XT! Hope mine looks that good one day!
Thank, and btw, I'm pretty sure the the flasher is under the tank.
__________________
'90 XT350
'08 WR250R
GLDS
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #41
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark
 
seriousracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: i am not f***ng stupid,but i used too. niles mi.
Oddometer: 7,426
under tank.

loaned my xt to a friend who want one now.
lol

and he only rode 60 miles.
__________________
racing is not real till your fighting for the line into the next blind corner,real roads, real trees, real fast, real men rally.

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #42
The Full Monty
Adventurer
 
The Full Monty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Clear Lake Shores, TX
Oddometer: 97
Yep! Found it, thanks. Also, replaced flasher with a Buss Flasher No.552 from local autoparts store for under $4!
__________________
It is a lot easier to die, then it is to use your head. R.A. Heinlein

KLR650 '09
The Full Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:38 AM   #43
nails1
nails1
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: New Mexico
Oddometer: 187
LED conversion

My flasher unit is probably also dead -- turn signals light up but don't flash. Thanks for the part ID. I bought some LEDs but haven't sorted the mounting. I wonder if that flasher unit will work with LEDs, or will they flash some funny speed. Anybody know whether this really matters?
nails1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:03 AM   #44
The Full Monty
Adventurer
 
The Full Monty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Clear Lake Shores, TX
Oddometer: 97
I don’t think it matters. Check out this photo of a cheep set of led flashers on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32

The flasher unit is 12v 10w max, which is about what mine is.

What type/brand led did you get?
__________________
It is a lot easier to die, then it is to use your head. R.A. Heinlein

KLR650 '09
The Full Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #45
nails1
nails1
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: New Mexico
Oddometer: 187
> What type/brand led did you get?

I got clearance marker lights and a tail-stop combo at a truck stop. Mine are Roadpro brand. Maybe RP-1559A for clearance and RP-5500R40L for stop-tail. Just got them last week. They're gonna be PIA to mount. I'll probably make a rack and put all the back lights on it (then use mx fender), and I'll probably mount front lights on a flap thing hanging off the hand guards. Still need to look into LED instrument replacements. Maybe one day I'll sort out a HID headlight, but have 65W bulb in there for now.
nails1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014