User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #781
pera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks Stagehand!

Yes, the first photo is taken at the Alpujarras in the south of our Sierra Nevada, exactly at Bérchules

The other pics are from Erg Chebbí, south Morocco.

Send a message if you come to Granada!

I need to refresh my english...
pera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #782
pera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Already there is an almost XT in the family, the 95 TT600

Two weeks ago at Morocco

Lucrecia and me

Lucrecia, or simply Lucre

pera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #783
Suva

Oddometer: 200
Counterbalancer

My counterbalancer feels like it's very lightly rubbing on something when I spin it, the shaft doesn't feel like it has any play. Is this normal? Edit: nevermind, I'm Sofa King Wee Tah Did.

Her'es a picture of what my timing chain tensioner looks like now.
Attached Images

Suva screwed with this post 11-17-2009 at 04:21 PM
Suva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #784
J-Ball
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Thought I'd show others my "progress" in case this is a familiar scene for others...... as I learn what the hell I'm donig that is....

Didn't get to do the "long hard pull" quiet like I wanted to but it does look a little rich to me. No? (still missing above half throttle with snorkel in)

I'm gonna try a new plug and put the super trap on and see what happens. I've got to find a plug color chart.... I'm shooting for a wheat color right?

Also, couldn't find the recomend spark plug gap....anyone happen to know???

J-Ball screwed with this post 11-17-2009 at 02:09 PM
J-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #785
InfiniteMiles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ball
Thought I'd show others my "progress" in case this is a familiar scene for others...... as I learn what the hell I'm donig that is....

Didn't get to do the "long hard pull" quiet like I wanted to but it does look a little rich to me. No? (still missing above half throttle with snorkel in)

I'm gonna try a new plug and put the super trap on and see what happens. I've got to find a plug color chart.... I'm shooting for a wheat color right?

Also, couldn't find the recomend spark plug gap....anyone happen to know???
Clymer calls for 0.7-0.8mm gap. The two usable plugs are NGK D8EA or ND X24ES-U.

I hear you should shoot for a spark color that matches a coffee with two creams, I would verify this in the clymer but they wasted all there color ink on the glossy cover rather than using it on the one page that counts!
InfiniteMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #786
J-Ball
Gnarly Adventurer

"I hear you should shoot for a spark color that matches a coffee with two creams"

..... is regular or hazelnut? Thanks for the gap, I've got a new NGK 'round here somewhere.

Just unwrapped the new (13 year old Super Trapp) straight from Wal-Bay, I can't wait to slap 'er on and see what happens. I'm outta here..
Old 11-18-2009, 04:08 PM   #787
joeyroe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
89 XT 350 for sale

Its just setting in the shed and I need money to feed my hare scramble addiction.I can post pictures if some one is serious.Its not pretty but in good mechanical condition.
joeyroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #788
BlackScorpion
n00b

Oddometer: 1
simple 428 to 520 chain conversion

Hi there,
I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster.
I've spent a couple of days looking through this thread and can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question:

To do a simple 428 to 520 chain conversion, can't I just swap in a set of stock sprockets and chain from a 1984 XT250 to a newer XT350? Seems like an easy way to do a 428 to 520 chain conversion, no?

In one of the posts here ( I think page 17 ) someone mentions that the rear sprocket is swappable between the two bikes, but no mention of the front one? Also, I'm concerned with chain length.

According to my research:

Stock 85-00 XT350 sizes: 428-130 chain on 19 front - 55 rear sprockets
Stock 1984 XT250 sizes: 520-106 chain on 15 front - 48 rear sprockets

So again, quoting from page 17, someone got a custom 520-sized 15 tooth front sprocket, which matches the stock tooth count of the XT250.

I've seen photos of both stock XT350 and XT250 front sprockets, and the splines seem to look the same?

Anyone actually tried this?

Thanks!
BlackScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #789
Suva

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackScorpion
Hi there,
I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster.
I've spent a couple of days looking through this thread and can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question:

To do a simple 428 to 520 chain conversion, can't I just swap in a set of stock sprockets and chain from a 1984 XT250 to a newer XT350? Seems like an easy way to do a 428 to 520 chain conversion, no?

In one of the posts here ( I think page 17 ) someone mentions that the rear sprocket is swappable between the two bikes, but no mention of the front one? Also, I'm concerned with chain length.

According to my research:

Stock 85-00 XT350 sizes: 428-130 chain on 19 front - 55 rear sprockets
Stock 1984 XT250 sizes: 520-106 chain on 15 front - 48 rear sprockets

So again, quoting from page 17, someone got a custom 520-sized 15 tooth front sprocket, which matches the stock tooth count of the XT250.

I've seen photos of both stock XT350 and XT250 front sprockets, and the splines seem to look the same?

Anyone actually tried this?

Thanks!
You want a front sprocket for an 84-89 XT600 or 82-83XT550 or 87-87 TT350 or 83-86 TT600, for the rear 80-84 Xt250, 80-82 TT250 and a couple others fit.
Suva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #790
skahuna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Here's what worked for me

Parts Unlimited Front Sprockets (Yamaha XT600C 1989)

5848025-001 | Teeth: 14 1 $11.65
---------------------

Parts Unlimited Front Sprockets (Yamaha XT600C 1989)

5848025-002 | Teeth: 15 1 $9.85
---------------------

Parts Unlimited Rear Sprockets (Yamaha XT250C 1984)

5849855-001 | Teeth: 46 1 $30.55
---------------------

Parts Unlimited X-Ring Chain, 120 links (520 SO)

5832049-001 | - 1 $58.95
skahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:21 AM   #791
J-Ball
Gnarly Adventurer

Super Trap

Just got the super trap on the XT. What a differnce this pipe made, and it's not even jetted properly yet. The main difference thus far is the low end, it has enough goose now for 2nd gear wheelies etc. It is def louder, but deeper with a cool braap, braap sound. More attitude for sure. Here's a little vid with my nephew on the bike so you can kinda hear the tone of the exhaust. On to jetting........... I'm gonna have to stock up on beer for this.....

Old 11-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #792
tate
Self-Sufficient 2-Wheeler

Oddometer: 33
no fuel to float bowl

so, i'm really close to the end of a fresh overhaul of most everything on my bike. i just finished putting all new gaskets in the carb, cleaning the carb and reassembling the carb. i've put it back on the bike with new intake boots.

problem is, i'm getting no fuel to the carb float bowl. at least i don't think i am because when i unscrew the drain on the bottom of the bowl, i get nothing from the drain. i am getting fuel through the petcock and out of the hose connecting to the carb. anyone have any ideas? i'm pretty new to this mechanic stuff and i'm wanting to learn this bike inside and out. hopefully someone can help. i would think if it was the float/fuel valve, that in the open position i would get lots more fuel and go to the runover lines. i have no idea. i need to reach out for some help heh.

what do you guys think?

tate screwed with this post 11-25-2009 at 11:09 AM
tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #793
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,176
If it is as you describe, than that sounds like it is a float needle valve issue.

Sorry if you already know this:

If the bowl were off and the fuel line attached, you would see lots of gas dribbling out of the float valve and onto your hand. Ordinarily, the floats would float on the gas and when it got high enough it would close the valve. Its a lot like a toilet bowl fill assembly, actually. In principle, anyhow, so what you need to do, in principal, is determine that the float valve is clear. Its possible its sticking or has gunk or debris in it.

I would take the carb bowl off and squirt some carb cleaner down the fuel inlet. Make sure it comes out underneath. You put your mouth on the fuel inlet and blow, and the floats should go away from you. Bring the floats closer to you and you should feel it close up.

Pera: My eternal regrets for not contacting you while we were in Grenada- Climbed in El Chorro and did the Caminito del Rey. Muy Buenu tapas, tambien!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #794
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Tate, i had the same problem after removing the carb on my xt600. I took the fuel line of, and then on again, and it worked fine. Guess the line had been bent or routed weird, so it would allow the gas to go to the carb.
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #795
tate
Self-Sufficient 2-Wheeler

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
If it is as you describe, than that sounds like it is a float needle valve issue.

Sorry if you already know this:

If the bowl were off and the fuel line attached, you would see lots of gas dribbling out of the float valve and onto your hand. Ordinarily, the floats would float on the gas and when it got high enough it would close the valve. Its a lot like a toilet bowl fill assembly, actually. In principle, anyhow, so what you need to do, in principal, is determine that the float valve is clear. Its possible its sticking or has gunk or debris in it.

I would take the carb bowl off and squirt some carb cleaner down the fuel inlet. Make sure it comes out underneath. You put your mouth on the fuel inlet and blow, and the floats should go away from you. Bring the floats closer to you and you should feel it close up.

Pera: My eternal regrets for not contacting you while we were in Grenada- Climbed in El Chorro and did the Caminito del Rey. Muy Buenu tapas, tambien!
that was it. the fuel inlet had a little rust clogging it. i'm guessing it was because the bike had sat a few weeks and when i opened the petcock small pieces of rust had clogged the fuel inlet..cleaned it out and it starts first kick!

thanks
tate is offline   Reply With Quote