User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #826
DualDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
XT350 Exhaust options

I just picked up a 1985 XT350. I am looking for a tailpipe/muffler for it. Anybody out there know where I can get one. I would consider anything available but would prefer something with a baffle/spark arrestor so I can ride it on some public land places.

I did a search on the internet and saw an aftermarket option. I believe it was made by supertrapp but it says it only fits 1986-2000. I was wondering why it will not fit a 1985 when Yamaha show the same original part for a 1985.

Any help or if you could lead me in the right direction would be appreciated.
DualDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #827
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualDog
I just picked up a 1985 XT350. I am looking for a tailpipe/muffler for it. Anybody out there know where I can get one. I would consider anything available but would prefer something with a baffle/spark arrestor so I can ride it on some public land places.

I did a search on the internet and saw an aftermarket option. I believe it was made by supertrapp but it says it only fits 1986-2000. I was wondering why it will not fit a 1985 when Yamaha show the same original part for a 1985.

Any help or if you could lead me in the right direction would be appreciated.
It should be fine.
It's also pretty much the only option.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #828
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Oddometer: 135
It's all in the family...

FINALY!!!

Got the 20T front sprocket, and just in time for 3 inches of snow and subzero temperatures winter

And... Never trust a relative who says he can get it done in two weeks with no problems, because his two weeks will last 3 friggin months!!! leaving you frontsprocketless for the whole time

Anyways, got the thing on (forgot to take pics ) and it fits just barely with the chain on, for any of you who want to make the same mod the 20T front sprocket is the maximum size that'll fit and clear the engine case.
Gotta road test it tommorow, even if I freeze my butt off

'85 Moto Guzzi V65 TT (never heard of it?)

'93 Yamaha XT 350 Touroduro (sold & missed)
jegrmajstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #829
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Oddometer: 135
The frozen one :D

Did the road test of the new gearing today and I'm more than satisfied, the bike just feels right as it should be, unlike the ridiculusly short first three gears, almost useless on the street
It still has enough grunt in it, just everything dropped by 500 rpm
Couldn't get a top speed run though, I guess the bike just isn't set up for 15F weather

'85 Moto Guzzi V65 TT (never heard of it?)

'93 Yamaha XT 350 Touroduro (sold & missed)
jegrmajstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #830
PotentialScat
aint

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteMiles
UUUUHHHGGGG
yep

centralvalleyds
PotentialScat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #831
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,280
can anyone tell me the thread size and pitch for the valve cover bolts?

you guys should see the hack job the PO did to try to solve the oil leak.... RTV every where!

i need to install helicoils into the cam caps. thanks for any info.
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #832
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
New to me '98 XT350

Gents,
I've really enjoyed reading all 56 pages of this thread....great info and pictures.

I just sold my extremely well used '93 XT350, that I had owned since new. It had about 10,500 miles of 99% offroad. It was almost all stock, aside from changing the baby blue and pink that was "wicked cool" in '93 to the older red/white styling from the 80's.

The reason I sold was to finance the purchase of a really nice 3500 mile '98 model. I tore it down for inspection and found the exhaust valves were a little tight. I was able to swap the left shim for the right, so only had to buy one. I just removed the cams and inspected them as well, while out. I also replaced the well worn stock air filter element for a uni-filter. Oil filter for a hiflo filtro unit, and added bark-busters and large MSR handshields.

My only problem so far, other than a stripped valve cover thread (heli-coiled now) is a front axle nut that will not come loose with any amount of prodding and penetrating oil. I don't know if it was just way over-torqued by the previous owner or the shop he used to change tires, or if it just siezed on the axle/fork. Anyway, I'll have to find someplace to borrow a 22mm socket and an air impact to try to remove it, so I can check the bearings and change the fork oil.

Forks are different than my '93 and what's in my clymer manual. They don't have the drain bolts in the bottom. I can see where they should be, but it appears they weren't drilled and tapped for the drain by the factory. Guess I have to remove the fork entirely to change fork oil. I'm planning on 15wt, and maybe make a PVC spacer.

The shock setup is a bit different as well. It actually has a collar on the bottom for finer adjustment and the ability to change springs. My '93 just had 3 or 4 notches of adjustment in the shock, and I don't think it was re-buildable. I never re-built the one on the old bike. It once broke and had no re-bound damping. I just bought a used one off Ebay and replaced it.

I'm very interested in making one of those "cutting board" back racks for the bike. If anyone has a good setup-couldyou please post how youmade it?

I also want to look into the jetting. I have a completely re-built stock carb set-up I can put new jets in and then just swap the carbs back and forth to see the changes. Sitting here at just a bit above sea level in Phoenix, AZ. I'll re-read the jetting threads and figure out where to start.

I was interested in an aftermarket pipe, but they all sound like they're loud. I definitely don't want to do that.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for posting up all the great info. What a fantastics resource!

Psycho
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #833
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

fork disassembly tool

For folks looking to disassemble their front forks...

Instead of buying the yamaha tool, I put together one of my own for a few bucks at the hardware store. I bought a long bolt (14 inches long) threaded on one end and 19mm (3/4 inch) bolt head on the other. I then screwed 2 nuts together on the threaded end, so they wouldn't turn. These nuts are 22mm. Then just put the nut end down into the forks and it will fit right into the recess. Use a socket to remove the bottom bolt. I can send a picture if anyone needs.

Someone with a welder could probably do even better by welding the nut on the end of the long bolt.
Psycho
Old 12-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #834
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMYStreetRacer
can anyone tell me the thread size and pitch for the valve cover bolts?

you guys should see the hack job the PO did to try to solve the oil leak.... RTV every where!

i need to install helicoils into the cam caps. thanks for any info.
Not sure about the cam cap bolts, but the valve cover bolts on both my '93 and '98 are M6x1. I used a heli-coil kit from NAPA (part # 770-3091) which is a M6x1, using a 1/4" drill bit for a stripped out valve cover. Works like a champ.

Psycho
Old 12-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #835
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18th

Instead of buying the yamaha tool, I put together one of my own for a few bucks at the hardware store. I bought a long bolt (14 inches long) threaded on one end and 19mm (3/4 inch) bolt head on the other. I then screwed 2 nuts together on the threaded end, so they wouldn't turn. These nuts are 22mm. Then just put the nut end down into the forks and it will fit right into the recess. Use a socket to remove the bottom bolt. I can send a picture if anyone needs.

Someone with a welder could probably do even better by welding the nut on the end of the long bolt.
Psycho
Thats a great idea. I was stumped until I realized the front axle bolt has one side thats just right. The axle is about 8 inches long, so all I needed was the king nut on the other side and a deep socket and an extension or two. Rube goldberg to be sure but I was pleased I could reassemble the forks.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #836
J-Ball
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:

Psycho
Dang man, that's pretty smart! And there I was using a stick like a monkey to do my fork work...... I'll invest a little more time next time and make a tool like you suggest. At least I wasn't a sucker and bought a Yamatool or went to the dealer.....
J-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #837
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Not sure about the cam cap bolts, but the valve cover bolts on both my '93 and '98 are M6x1. I used a heli-coil kit from NAPA (part # 770-3091) which is a M6x1, using a 1/4" drill bit for a stripped out valve cover. Works like a champ.

Psycho
thank you
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #838
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
Thats a great idea. I was stumped until I realized the front axle bolt has one side thats just right. The axle is about 8 inches long, so all I needed was the king nut on the other side and a deep socket and an extension or two. Rube goldberg to be sure but I was pleased I could reassemble the forks.
The axle itself, eh? I guess I never realized it would fit. Dang good idea...
Psycho
Old 12-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #839
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Exhaust

I've been putting some thought into aftermarket exhaust systems. The IDSE2 I see on Ebay is apparently very loud. Not what I want at all. Haven't seen too many other options here in the states.

Anyone fit up an exhaust made for another bike, that's close? I was thinking maybe an FMF Q slip on for a WR, or even the 350 Warrior quad might work. Perhaps something for that Honda CRF230? Something that gives more oomph, drops a some weight, keeps the spark arrestor, but without too much more sound. Also, something you could pick up used for dirt cheap. It would have to have the same input pipe diameter and be pretty close in fitment, since I'm no welder...
Any ideas?

Seems there are enough of these bikes around, someone could make a bit of cash, making a decent modern pipe for them. Of course that same person could make a ton more selling a jetting kit as well...

Psycho
Old 12-23-2009, 12:27 AM   #840
Aivasovsky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
pic album of reconstructing

Hi All,

I have added some more pics to my album.
You can see them at:
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...350/?start=all

Some of them are below:

Best wishes,
SKY

ff
f

Aivasovsky screwed with this post 12-23-2009 at 12:36 AM
Aivasovsky is offline   Reply With Quote