User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #1336
digger2006

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLHammer
Ive never gouged a fork leg using this method.
But each to his own ..

My tool i use

Attachment 229637

XLHammer
WOW
that looks exactly like the one i have,,,,, that you copy,d off
Old 07-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #1337
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Oddometer: 135
Hi guys, I'm still alive and kickin', so is the 350, if anyone wondered my absence here (which I doubt )
The problem is the 'no time whatsoever' syndrome, which I'm suffering from this whole year. I barely touched the bike in months, although I managed to do some two-up riding with my significant other Which made me realise a very disturbing thing: no mater how 'good' the xt350 is, a two-up tourer does not make I'm still getting over this conundrum, which stirs me towards something with more grunt, more cylinders, more paint, more bling, more complexity, more money sent through the pipes... oh the agony

Anyways, now that I finished my rantings, I have a bit of a question. My bike started to produce clicking sounds, originating somewhere from the top end. This happens randomly, with no apparent reason, when starting cold, hot, while riding etc... First I thought the valves were to blame, but they're in spec, so is anything else - I had the bike checked over at a yamaha shop since I couldn't locate the problems myself.
Have anyone experienced this clicking? I tried to record it, but as if on purpose I couldn't get a single click out of the bike when I had my camera with me

'85 Moto Guzzi V65 TT (never heard of it?)

'93 Yamaha XT 350 Touroduro (sold & missed)
jegrmajstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #1338
TylerinFernie
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Cycleracks.com

Hi RCSmith I just ordered a set of racks for my XT350 and for my girlfriends XT225 will probably have them by Thursday will let you know what I think.
TylerinFernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #1339
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jegrmajstr
Hi guys, I'm still alive and kickin', so is the 350, if anyone wondered my absence here (which I doubt )
The problem is the 'no time whatsoever' syndrome, which I'm suffering from this whole year. I barely touched the bike in months, although I managed to do some two-up riding with my significant other Which made me realise a very disturbing thing: no mater how 'good' the xt350 is, a two-up tourer does not make I'm still getting over this conundrum, which stirs me towards something with more grunt, more cylinders, more paint, more bling, more complexity, more money sent through the pipes... oh the agony

Anyways, now that I finished my rantings, I have a bit of a question. My bike started to produce clicking sounds, originating somewhere from the top end. This happens randomly, with no apparent reason, when starting cold, hot, while riding etc... First I thought the valves were to blame, but they're in spec, so is anything else - I had the bike checked over at a yamaha shop since I couldn't locate the problems myself.
Have anyone experienced this clicking? I tried to record it, but as if on purpose I couldn't get a single click out of the bike when I had my camera with me
Is the kickstarter all the way up and staying there during the ride? That will click if it flops down a bit. Were all the oil plugs in the head in good shape? Could it be the cam chain a bit loose? Maybe a little hole in the exhaust pipe? Could be just about anything under the tank just rattling, sounding like a click in the engine. Does it sound the same with the skid palte off? Could be at the bottom of the engine and just reflecting up off the skid plate. Just some ideas...
Psycho
02 SUZ JR50 and 00 YAM TTR 90 (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #1340
XLHammer
IT'S STANDARD ,W.T.F....?

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger2006
WOW
that looks exactly like the one i have,,,,, that you copy,d off

It was your old tool , you made another , remember...
XLHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #1341
msd-boston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Cycleracks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerinFernie
Hi RCSmith I just ordered a set of racks for my XT350 and for my girlfriends XT225 will probably have them by Thursday will let you know what I think.
Looking fwd to hearing the report. When I inquired (mostly about the side attachments to hold pelicans or something), the guy sent me a hilarious message:
<<<
The bag supports work on all my racks, the rack is 18.5 inches wide so not a problem for exhaust and they will carry more than your bike will, way over 100 pounds, we have had elk quarters on these racks they are tough and guaranteed, we'll replace it if it breaks. The panniers are made of Hypalon, you tear them up and we'll replace them also, they are water proof, heat does not bother them and they will not support fire, they are also bullet proof.
>>>

I could use some bulletproof/fireproof bags!
msd-boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #1342
msd-boston
Adventurer

Dumb jetting Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx
Very common. You can get rid of it with jetting.
Start with this.
All changes to the primary carb
Fuel screw 3 1/2 turns out
130 main jet (from an xt600)
shim the needle with some small washers(I cut the eyelet off of some electrical connectors).

I hear someone is selling a decent jet kit on ebay. that would work too.
Anyone --
Is there any way to know what jets are *currently* installed in one of these carbs? Are they numbered or something when removed? Is that 2 eyelets for the jet shim? More?

Unfortunately, I don't have the time, garage, or expertise to re-jet it myself. Also, I'm not sure it hasn't been already, since it has a drilled airbox, SuperTrapp, and seems to run okay (albeit more slowly than I'd like). So if I decided to re-jet, I'd want to tell the shop what to look for and what to switch to.

Thx,
-Micah
Old 07-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #1343
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by msd-boston
Anyone --
Is there any way to know what jets are *currently* installed in one of these carbs? Are they numbered or something when removed? Is that 2 eyelets for the jet shim? More?

Unfortunately, I don't have the time, garage, or expertise to re-jet it myself. Also, I'm not sure it hasn't been already, since it has a drilled airbox, SuperTrapp, and seems to run okay (albeit more slowly than I'd like). So if I decided to re-jet, I'd want to tell the shop what to look for and what to switch to.

Thx,
-Micah
The jets will all be marked. The eyelets go under the needle because there is only one clip position and the needle needs to be raised.
The Pilot screw is easy to check. just turn it in until it bottoms counting the turns. With a drilled airbox and supertrapp, if it hasn't been rejetted, it's living on borrowed time. Check your plug, if it looks OK, chances are some jetting has been done.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #1344
msd-boston
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx
The jets will all be marked. The eyelets go under the needle because there is only one clip position and the needle needs to be raised.
The Pilot screw is easy to check. just turn it in until it bottoms counting the turns. With a drilled airbox and supertrapp, if it hasn't been rejetted, it's living on borrowed time. Check your plug, if it looks OK, chances are some jetting has been done.
Will ck the plug again after a good ride, but last I looked it was fine. Sorry, how many washers under the needle, then?

Since the pilot screw would have been covered by the infamous brass plug, I guess I have at least a hint if the plug is drilled out. I;ll have to check that out.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #1345
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by msd-boston
Will ck the plug again after a good ride, but last I looked it was fine. Sorry, how many washers under the needle, then?

Since the pilot screw would have been covered by the infamous brass plug, I guess I have at least a hint if the plug is drilled out. I;ll have to check that out.
Start with 1. You might need 2.
It's all trial and error. One change at a time. Gets kind of tedious, but its the best way to do it.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #1346
dirtyrod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
49 tooth rear sprocket

Well Folks
My trip to lake placid got canceled but i did install and try out the 49 tooth rear sprocket that i got for free off of an RT 180 . the results were pretty much what i expected. the bike puts away nicely at 100k and will gradually climb up to 130 max if needed. in reality the bike lost some top end but did perform modestly considering. I had to take 4 links out if the chain to run it but will be reinstalling the 55 tooth again as i do run dirt about 50% of the time and like the bottom end pull of the standard gearing.
Just thought i would let ya know how i made out.
rod
dirtyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #1347
becki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
time to show my bike, new headllight on the way
Name:  erste ausfahrt.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  113.2 KB
becki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #1348
dirtyrod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Great lookin bike man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by becki
time to show my bike, new headllight on the way
Attachment 235067
Great lookin bike man! What are the forks from and how are they workin for ya. Did you have to set them up different in any way, springs ect?
it looks awesome.
Rod
dirtyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #1349
becki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
forks are after market Ohlins of a WR 426,
setting is for a 90kg rider of the WR 426, works not bad , i have 80 kg and the tt 350 have some kg more than the WR (20kg?), the fork go´s to service after my romania trip
i took the pic after the cam chain tensioner assy was broken..need new intake valves .....50km after finishing the modification

the bike some other nice features, hydraulic clutch, ohlins shock,...more pics after the repair

becki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #1350
alprosound
HappyMan

Oddometer: 498
Anyone have any idea as to what would cause an 94 XT350 with 3000 miles on it to seize? My son and I were out riding this weekend, nothing rough, not terribly hot but in the upper eighties and typically around an average of 30 mph. His bike just stopped. The tach bounced and then the engine died. I came back to find him on the road and I couldn't kick it over or turn the engine. Pulled the plug, all looked fine. Spun the engine with some force but it wasn't smooth. Oil was good. No signs of anything like this happening. It will now turn over but it's tight.

Any ideas would be welcome. I'll need to get it to a shop anyway since I don't have time to look at it. We go on a trip in two weeks and this is looking like a deal killer.

I forgot to mention that his bike is immaculate. Well cared for and in great shape. I'm baffled by this one. Never saw it coming.

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

http://ridedualsport.com
alprosound is offline   Reply With Quote