User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 01:25 AM   #91
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,987
Hi,

for any Oz XLV owners, weve just started a thread for all Honda's V-twin adventure bikes in the Oz section.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384629
Old 09-14-2008, 03:21 AM   #92
ozcan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Thanks, Greg

Sad to see the old list go, tho'... .
Paul,
WA
ozcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:04 AM   #93
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcan
Sad to see the old list go, tho'... .
Paul,
WA
yeah but its had its time, make sure you put some pics of your beasties in the thread in oz
Old 09-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #94
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
Hi,

for any Oz XLV owners, weve just started a thread for all Honda's V-twin adventure bikes in the Oz section.
I think it is a bit of a shame... There are so less XLV riders left, why splitting up this (small) community?
I can't see the advantage of a 'special Down Under' Honda V-twin thread. Start an exclusive Australian Honda XLV/XRV forum, that would be a nice one...?

@ Ozcan... Be assured, I am keeping my XLV750 postings here at this topic and nowhere else.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #95
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Wanted... (action) pictures of the XLV750R!

Guys, girls,

I desperately need your help. We are going to publish an article about the 25th anniversary of the XLV750R in our club's (the Dutch Transalpclub that is) magazine; but since the bike is very rare, good (digital!) pictures of the bike (preferable in action) are even more rare...

We need good quality pics for the article; if published, I will e-mail you the PDF version of the mag (mind you... it is in Dutch language...).

please notice... for a good result the pics should not be smaller than 1200 x 1600 pixels!

Please help!
@mail: varaderointernational (AT) gmail.com

Help is appreciated... please do not forget to mention your name and the location where the picture has been taken.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 10-31-2008, 01:30 PM   #96
ray3656
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
Guys, girls,

I desperately need your help. We are going to publish an article about the 25th anniversary of the XLV750R in our club's (the Dutch Transalpclub that is) magazine; but since the bike is very rare, good (digital!) pictures of the bike (preferable in action) are even more rare...

We need good quality pics for the article; if published, I will e-mail you the PDF version of the mag (mind you... it is in Dutch language...).

please notice... for a good result the pics should not be smaller than 1200 x 1600 pixels!

Please help!
@mail: varaderointernational (AT) gmail.com

Help is appreciated... please do not forget to mention your name and the location where the picture has been taken.
Hi Two Plugs, I usually post on the XRV.ORG site, ( Raymo ) and the XLV750R yahoo group.. never thought to look here, doh

I will send you the Piks from the Lands end to John O'Groats charity run that the XRV.ORG troops did, I rode my 1985 XLV750R Blue RF the 870 miles in 14hrs 55mins.. never missed a beat and was loloping along at 90+mph for a few hours with the 990KTMs, Africa twins and 1200 BMWs bike loved it but hit reserve at 130miles and not my usual 180 !!, all filled up at the service station in Aviemore at 6am ish.. sounded like the dambusters coming over the hill wee guy at the service station got quite a shock.. any way hope the piks are of use, great day and proof that there is life in the old girl.. rode it like I stole it

Ray
ray3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #97
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Raymo

Many thnx for the pics. They are appreciated. Till last spring I was member at XRV.org but after I got quit an argue with the administrator, I got out. It was not even worth arguing about:

I posted a general post to tell people that the 'old' Varadero forum was now transferred to a new format.

The administrator deleted the post, without having the decency to inform me that he had deleted it, and the reason why.

I questioned him about this via PM (not in public... that is not my style) and then I was accused of impropriate behaviour (which to my modest opinion is the deleting of unharmful postings without even letting the writer know)

And the real reason... well... Varadero-international.com is 'considered a serious thread to the existence of XRV.org... yep. Grow up.
I guess he's afraid to see donations flow away to competitive Forums? I can't explain the reaction in any other direction.

I guess the admin and modteam should have a look in the real World of adventure bike forums like here (ADVrider.com) and our Varadero-international.com!

I still think XRV.org is a proper good Forum thnx to the members, but I won't be sharing my information there any more. And that is a pity, since the infoboards for the XLV (esspecialy in English language) are getting more and more rare...

Old 11-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #98
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed
Now that is cool! Never heard of them. A R80GS killer? Shame those things never sold here.
+1 that would sell in the USA
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #99
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,422
The more I try to understand Honda's marketing strategies, the more I feel frustated about what we've been missing here in the USA. No XLV's, no XRV's and now no Varadero. Why we've been punished.

I'd love to have one XLV, any state, to do a bottom up restoration...We have to settle with the two years availability of the XL600V Transalp. I have lots of pictures of the bike...We are so thirsty that we even clone those beasts. Well, I just needed to say something.

Meanwhile, here is my cloned beast...still some painting to be done...

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #100
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Locorider,

That's some mighty good piece of home work you are working on! Love to see the final results!

Believe me, the Honda Trailies did have their own strange habits... On the Transalp the question was not that the CDI units would fail, but the question was WHEN will they fail... After a Honda update ('94) the Transalp was not available anymore in the States...

The XRV650 / 750 Africa Twin... Same story... The question was not that the fuelpump would fail, but the question was WHEN the fuelpump would fail... And since Honda desided to use that same faulthy Mitsubishi fuelpump again on the MK1 Varadero (1998-2002) the question re occured...

And the XLV750R? Well... it was ment to beat the sh* out of the BMW R80GS, but that never happened... To expensive (in comparising with the Beemer) and the quality was for desert raid ralleys (for which the bike was originaly designed) not good enough. Honda made some technical improvements which was soled as XLV750R Limited (the one with the red / blue or silver fuel tank and black engine) but the bike could not regain the trust of the buyers...

That limited version (black engine) was a rock solid bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider

Old 11-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #101
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Yea, I believe they are great bikes. I've done the cdi's upgrade, and both are new. But that's something, by having 2 cdis that gives you some kind of redundancy. And that is really a small part to carry with you on an extended trip.

What I mean is that here we missed all those good bikes.

So, for us, what is left is to be creative by doing mods for better performance and for a better look.

Here I did a muffler pannier saver, a functional skidplate, crash bars, corbin seat, modified the rear brake push bar to a pull and on the same time, bringing it up and out of trouble. Changed tank, side fairings, cowl, headlights and subframe, meter set from an AT RD03. Did an aluminum dash for the meter set. Added a mikuni fuel pump and installed two NT650 petcocks. Modified the AT side fairings by adding the TA signal lights. Added an MRA windscreen.

Both headlights H4 are on on low and high beam, with each of them on separate 30amps relays. Installed XR650L forks, triple Ts, axle, SRC fork brace and adapted the TA 317mm disk with adapter, new ss braided brake line, and added a 27mm rear shock adapter to raise the rear, added 3.5 inches to the side stand. IMS footpegs. Changed the front sprocket to a 16T. Added Motoline panniers, Icon tank bag and the bike is ready to roll.

Whats left? Paint and some Karoos or TKC80. Maybe an AT rear swingarm, shock, disk and maybe a 18" rear wheel. And, the list goes on...Laser slip-on.......Cycra handguards...

I really the way the engine sounds, and the torque of that 600cc. Yea, I know, the 750R should be a beast in that area. Let me tell you, I'd love to own one.

Then add some awesome road, and that's the journey to satisfaction and joy...

Oh, I forgot!!! Added some lettering and two ADV stickers!!!

Quote:
Hi Locorider,

That's some mighty good piece of home work you are working on! Love to see the final results!

Believe me, the Honda Trailies did have their own strange habits... On the Transalp the question was not that the CDI units would fail, but the question was WHEN will they fail... After a Honda update ('94) the Transalp was not available anymore in the States...

The XRV650 / 750 Africa Twin... Same story... The question was not that the fuelpump would fail, but the question was WHEN the fuelpump would fail... And since Honda desided to use that same faulthy Mitsubishi fuelpump again on the MK1 Varadero (1998-2002) the question re occured...

And the XLV750R? Well... it was ment to beat the sh* out of the BMW R80GS, but that never happened... To expensive (in comparising with the Beemer) and the quality was for desert raid ralleys (for which the bike was originaly designed) not good enough. Honda made some technical improvements which was soled as XLV750R Limited (the one with the red / blue or silver fuel tank and black engine) but the bike could not regain the trust of the buyers...

That limited version (black engine) was a rock solid bike.

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian

locorider screwed with this post 11-12-2008 at 03:04 PM
Old 11-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #102
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Regarding the (Dutch) made Laser slip on... Forget about that. Go for a Rino slip on, cheaper, improved quality (Stainless steel), nice shape and the sound is just like music - not loud noice!

Google on it, Rino is a Belgian manufacturer (http://www.rino.be/), Site is available in English.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #103
ray3656
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Hi Raymo

Many thnx for the pics. They are appreciated. Till last spring I was member at XRV.org but after I got quit an argue with the administrator, I got out. It was not even worth arguing about:

I posted a general post to tell people that the 'old' Varadero forum was now transferred to a new format.

The administrator deleted the post, without having the decency to inform me that he had deleted it, and the reason why.

I questioned him about this via PM (not in public... that is not my style) and then I was accused of impropriate behaviour (which to my modest opinion is the deleting of unharmful postings without even letting the writer know)

And the real reason... well... Varadero-international.com is 'considered a serious thread to the existence of XRV.org... yep. Grow up.
I guess he's afraid to see donations flow away to competitive Forums? I can't explain the reaction in any other direction.

I guess the admin and modteam should have a look in the real World of adventure bike forums like here (ADVrider.com) and our Varadero-international.com!

I still think XRV.org is a proper good Forum thnx to the members, but I won't be sharing my information there any more. And that is a pity, since the infoboards for the XLV (esspecialy in English language) are getting more and more rare...

your welcome to the pics two plugs, sorry for the late response, checked the oz thread instead doh ,, two threads to check twice the fun

been trawling for info on the XLV 750R RD01 RF and most good stuff is in french, found out that the earlier RD has a different advance curve, and it was this data that I sent to Ignitec to programme the new CDI , but I think I now have enough info to play with the programmable cdi I have fitted . Am in the sahara at the moment ( work not allowed to play ), so will play with ignition curves when home, got some good info from :- http://www.twostrokeshop.com/ignitech.htm
and http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=34482

about setting the base advance and tuning the map n stuff

so will see.
the bike runs great, but I am sure i can get it spot on.

I have an Transalp XLV 600V -R ( 1994 ) too, and its a great fun bike too, a great work horse used and abused, my winter bike like it too, but I just love the sound of the RD01 750 R, very little engine noise and the thump of two XL400s in sync.. the AT and the Transalp have that odd wurring sound, cool in it own way but nothing like the 750R :-)

Got a 320mm front disc to fit and that should sort the limited braking. I have sorted the forks with new seals & bushes,and have progressive springs to fit. Replaced the rear wheel bearings ( if they fail you stuff the cardan shaft drive splines ). the bike is in very good original condition, so I am loathed to use it on the salty roads this time of year. so will re-aquaint myself with my trust Transalp :-)

anyone got any info on the RF ignition curve?

cheers
Ray
ray3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:01 AM   #104
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Yea, but is too expensive to get it here!!!

I couldn't find any dealer in the USA...On the other hand, there is a Laser dealer in NY, so it is not that expensive to get it to the island!

Thanks!

Sorry for being late on this response

Quote:
Regarding the (Dutch) made Laser slip on... Forget about that. Go for a Rino slip on, cheaper, improved quality (Stainless steel), nice shape and the sound is just like music - not loud noice!

Google on it, Rino is a Belgian manufacturer (http://www.rino.be/), Site is available in English.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #105
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

More expensive? Realy? Here they are at least (for comparising) 50-100 € less expensive as any Laser unit...

And postorder it won't be that expensive as well... For something unique!