User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2003, 06:34 PM   #1
motojoe OP
Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer: 1,416
fieldsheer one piece highland suit

Have any of you guys tried the fieldsheer highland one piece suit. Its half the price of a stich and seems comparable. Just wondering if the sizing would be smilar or if any one has had problems with it.
any input is welcome.
Joe
motojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 07:52 PM   #2
chain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,757
Downstate backroads

hey jo saw your post in the twisted spoke ride report. let me know if you want to come down state for some backroad gravel touring adv style. Im near Peoria and usually game for a ride. Gravel, sand, singletrack, riverbanks, and twistie tarmac, we got forest preserves and golf courses as well .
Old 10-19-2003, 07:53 PM   #3
Kean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Re: fieldsheer one piece highland suit

Quote:
Said motojoe:
Have any of you guys tried the fieldsheer highland one piece suit. Its half the price of a stich and seems comparable. Just wondering if the sizing would be smilar or if any one has had problems with it.
any input is welcome.
Joe
Joe,

This is not really 100% relavent, but here it goes... I got the higland PANTS, claimed to be 100% water-proof. Well. 30 min in heavy downpour, got 2 inches dia wet-spot on my knees. This is where my knee press snugly on the armor and outer layer. So, there's your water-proof test. I'm reasonably happy with the purchase though. Price is good, and good armor. I might try some water-proof treatment spray on it later.... The sizing on the pants is a bit weird for me. But i'm asian, 28/29" waist, 28/9" inseam... Too loose on the waist, length wise ok.

Typical american might have a better fit. I never seems to have any luck finding off-the-shelf clothing that fits me perfectly...

I wore the Mach 1 jacket on that same day. It's a Fieldsheer mesh jacket with waterproof liner. No damp/ wet spot. but my arm did feel "wet". i think there's actually some "tiny" bit of water got through the liner. But not enough to wet anythin. Just induced some "wet" feelin on my arm. But this is on a mesh jacket... So, i'm actaully quite happy with it.

There u go, my 2 cents...

Cheers.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:35 AM   #4
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
You get what you pay for?

No experience with the Highland but I bought a leather Fieldsheer Airspeed perforated suit at 1/2 the price of the equivalent an Vanson's perforated suit. Well, I had a 30-40mph lowside on sand. The leather held up OK, not great, with some holes worn through on the knee, but the real surprise was that both the pants and the jacket split their side seams some 5-7 inches long . I guess you could say the suit did it's job on this reasonably slow speed get-off, but I always wonder what would happen if those seams continued to tear open on a longer/faster slide.

I'm going to pay the arm and leg ($$) next time to save my arm and leg.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:50 PM   #5
jojogun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
This will be the second year I've had mine.

In winter they are totally warm with the jacket liner, never needed the leg liner out here in the Central Valley of California.

Kept me dry in a pretty good downpour going to the motorcycle show in San Mateo last year. A bit damp in the crotch area, but I think I didn't have them closed up good enough.

Don't know about the get off strength of these, haven't tested them. Don't plan on it.

Color holds up well.

Too warm out here for summer use, Joe Rocket mesh jacket and pants with a jacket liner for those cooler mornings when the afternoon would be way too warm for the Fieldsheer.

No complaints with the suit. I figure if I get off once and it protects me I'll hustle down and buy another if I can't wear that one any more. At $299 I can afford two for the price of the stich and have money left.

Oh yeah, the liners come out of these, not the stich. They have pretty good ventilation while moving if you do wear it when it gets hot.

Joe Zack
Atwater. Ca.
2001 GS1150
Old 10-21-2003, 06:08 PM   #6
motojoe OP
Arrest Cheney and Bush

Thanks for the input guys However the suit is no longer available in the states except in black. I don't see the need for black riding gear. The last thing I want to do is hide. Seemed like my solution but now I need to keep looking for a warmer way to ride the chicago winter out. Perhaps my leathers and a set of coveralls is the best way. Just a pain in the ass to get on and off. Well I can always keep looking.
Joe
Old 10-21-2003, 06:13 PM   #7
motojoe OP
Arrest Cheney and Bush

Hey Dakar 650
I have plenty of free time in the spring and would enjoy the riding. It seems like I only get to off road at work occasionally. I work in road construction and sometimes we show up and its just a field of dirt piles and stuff. Pretty cool but isn't often I really want to get some time in on real off road stuff. Its just too hard in the city. Everyone goes to the forest preserves but I don't like that because its dangerous and irresponsible. So I will be looking for ya soon if the offer stands.
joe
Old 10-22-2003, 10:51 AM   #8
chain
Beastly Adventurer

Anytime

I live .5 miles from the nearest sand road and we can be offroad in about 12 minutes from the shack. The Fist aka Will has been down from chicago with a couple of buds and had a full day of downstate gravel adventure about 250 miles. we didnt do much single track as they were all riding large gs twins. but still a great day of riding. Im game for about any ride. weve been doing backroad touring on Monday nights for the past few weeks. It usually involves a couple of beer stops and a greasy tavern burger somewhere. let me know. a little notice is good, as ive got two kids active in middle school events.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:07 PM   #9
motojoe OP
Arrest Cheney and Bush

Right now I am taking five classes at North Eastern Illinois Univ. and working tues thurs fri and sat. So time is a little short. I work on the roads though so soon I will be seeing winter roll in and the work ends. I love snow for this reason only. So maybe then or in the spring. Thanks and sounds fun.
Joe
Old 10-23-2003, 02:56 PM   #10
chain
Beastly Adventurer

Downstate d/s

Whatever works Jo. let me know when you get a day and we'll try to schedule.