Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 03:31 AM   #46
FUTURE
Left right out

Oddometer: 742
Old Northern Road heading to Wisemans Ferry....

On the road to Freemans Reach.

2009 Triumph Speedmaster.
FUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #47
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfs
I know a few vignettes about Bull. He made a deal with Vermont & Canada for his own border crossing so they didn't have to drive so far to get from one of his sites to the other. Of course, no way can a state enter into any negotiations with a foreign country but somehow State Dept and Border Patrol paid no heed for several years despite his hauling what amounted to munitions [rockets and fuel] back and forth.
Yes, much of this was apparently set up for tax and customs reasons -- product could be shipped from either side of the border, depending on which was more advantageous. It still amazes me that SRC got away with it.

Since the last post about this, I've learned that there's a lot more of the SRC compound remaining than I had been led to believe. I'll be making a trip up there in the spring.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #48
nickatnite
Poster Boy for Red Death

Oddometer: 1,897
I shot this one this past weekend....

"This old house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
1-877-280-2337 ext 5616, ask for James Andrews
BMWMOA # 125735
2006 R 1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelande Strasse (blue) the sexy color
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:41 PM   #49
peter13
FJ cruiser

Oddometer: 338
that house above has to be a nest for Vampires
Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #50
AfricaWim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Old farm shed, Eastern FreeState, South Africa.

AfricaWim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #51
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast
I'm always amazed that no matter how remote, or hard-to-get-to an area is, some asshat bothers to schlep in a can of spray paint

Cedar Springs, Arizona.

Established as a trading post in the 1880's; the post office was first established under the name Cedar Springs in 1910 and changed to the name Cedar Spring in 1930 and then discontinued in 1934.

From July 2008...
Old 01-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #52
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,316
Duck reach hydro power station, on the South Esk River just above Launceston, Tasmania.
Launceston was the first city in the southern hemisphere to be lit by hydro power.

The old turbine hall

The old housing on the other side of the river.
'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #53
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Vermont's aerial mapping really sucks for some reason.

its how we keep our trail system a secret

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #54
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,996
I'll add some photos for an area that we ride in Vermont. It is Dorset Mountain where there is a working white Marble quarry big enough to drive tractor trailers into....as in into the mountain. There is also an old abandoned one higher up the mountain:

one of the entrances to the newer working quarry:

Chris Herman posing next to a couple of the hundreds of discarded marble blocks:

an old rail pump car of one sort or another:

One of the many good trails on the mountain:

One of the more difficult trails on the mountain: We never made it up until we put trials tires on the bikes:

This trail goes to the top eventually:

Lastly a distant shot:

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #55
brothermosley
Motorcycle Operator

Oddometer: 624
great pics and post

hey mark, that's a great RR. thanks for the photos!

jamie
Old 07-12-2009, 03:41 AM   #56
badcherrys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
WOW!!! brilliant pic,i love these RRs thank you everyone
Old 07-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #57
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got a new one for you FFs.

Yesterday my friends Tim and Mike and I rode to the old abandoned mining town of Tahawus, NY, which as Tim so delicately put it, is quite a few miles outside the middle of fucking nowhere.

Go ahead, Google Map it and see for yourself.

Strictly speaking, the pics you're about to see are actually from the town of Adirondac, NY (note lack of k). This town was built in the mid 19th century in connection with the McIntyre iron mining operation. The mine shut down in 1857 because the iron ore was contaminated with too much titanium dioxide to make it worth the effort.

Eventually someone figured out that titanium dioxide isn't such bad stuff and maybe they were actually mining the wrong metal, and in 1940 a titanium mine opened a short distance south of the original mine. The former town of Adirondac was folded into the town of Tahawus, built for the new mining operation. The titanium mine eventually shut down in 1989 and the part of Tahawus adjacent to the mine was demolished, but they either forgot about the former town of Adirondac or just figured that schlepping demolition equipment there wasn't worth the effort because Mother Nature was fully capable of doing the job on her own, so a number of buildings remain standing (sort of...).

To get to this place from the east, you have to head down one county road for 16 or 17 miles, then turn onto a smaller county road for 7 or 8 miles, then turn onto an even smaller county road for another few miles. All of them are twisty, thankfully.

Eventually one of those bends in the road reveals this:

What the hell is that thing, you ask? It's the McIntyre Blast Furnace, which was part of the original iron mining operation. The preservation organization that currently owns the 10,000-acre tract that includes Tahawus is responsible for that brick thing on top, and if you're wondering what it is, well, so am I.

The blast furnace has an opening on each side.

Nearby there's a bunch of wreckage. No idea what this stuff belonged to -- some sort of smelting operation, perhaps? [Edit: turns out this stuff was part of a mechanical bellows that blew air into the furnace.]

Big counterweighted flywheel or something just lying around on (okay, in) the ground.

More wreckage.

This rather large tree was growing on top of this stout stone wall. Tim thrown in for scale reference.

From there we headed a quarter or half mile up the road to the ghost town itself. The buildings are in pretty bad shape.

Watch that first step, it's a doozy.

There wasn't a right angle left in this building.

For some reason this floral print linoleum added a weirdly human touch that reminded me that someone used to call this place home once, and probably loved it.

A short distance down the road was the only house still in decent shape (due in large part, I assume, to the fact that this one was built on an actual stone foundation, whereas the others had been built on stilts on the hillside). This building is MacNaughton Cottage and was constructed in 1845, and it was here that Teddy Roosevelt was staying for his vacation to hike Mt Marcy when he received word that President McKinley had been shot. It's currently under renovation -- note new roof, etc.

The road looking the way we'd come.

Interesting how the house is falling apart but the flowers in front have survived over the years.

Nice back yard.

I'm not quite sure what Mike is doing with his mouth here, but that creek running behind the houses is the mighty Hudson River. The headwaters are just a mile or two upstream.

If anyone's looking for some interesting sights in the Adirondacks, I would recommend checking this place out, if for no other reason than that the area is extremely beautiful and the roads to get there are a lot of fun. Just watch out for big furry critters.

[Edit: It would seem this town is far more historically significant than I gave it credit for. It was one of the first towns in the Adirondacks (hence its name) and the headquarters, if you will, of the 100,000+ acres purchased by McIntyre's company for iron ore exploration. Even though the iron mining wasn't all that successful, the town itself became important because it was one of the first sites used for sporting purposes in the Adirondacks (basically, the forerunner of the Great Camps). Later, a book that detailed the history of the town proved popular and created a lot of new interest in the Adirondacks, which led to the large amount of tourism in the first half of the 20th century. Pretty interesting story for a town that's literally a wide spot in the road.]

--mark

markbvt screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 07:44 PM
Old 08-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #58
Hulked Up
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Thumb Schell Bridge, Northfield, Mass.

The Schell Bridge was built in Northfield, Mass in 1902 to connect both sides of the town bisected by the Connecticut River. (Northfield is the only town in Mass. that is on both sides of the River.) At that time there was a huge revivalist movement in Northfield that was attracting thousands of people to town to hear Dwight Moody preach. One of the people who came to Northfield was wealthy industrialist Francis Schell. He owned a house on the other side of the river (where the train station was). He gave the town $60,000 to build the cantilevered bridge.

Schell gave no money to maintain the bridge and the town spent little to no money to keep it up. In 1985 the Schell Bridge was closed because it was structurally unsafe. Since then an effort has been made to save the bridge but the price tag is somewhere between $10-25 million. The town and the state both want to tear it down but that effort has stalled too.

I took my KLR to the bridge. The roads that access the Bridge are still there, still paved, but very overgrown. Each end of the bridge has steel plates welded over them to keep people off.

The road to the west side

The west opening, obscured by weeds, dirt and the steel plate.

Massive rot

Saveable?

Crossmembers falling down or gone

The entrance to the east side of the bridge

road coming off the bridge, into the center of Northfield

No entrance

The only place to view the Bridge, the state boat ramp

vintage view

Everything you could want to know about the Schell Bridge, including making a donation to save it, is here: http://www.schellbridge.org
Hulked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #59
Wildabeast
Wide Open

Oddometer: 224
Hi Mark,

Been up to the Radar site lately? Or any other abandoned places?
Wildabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #60
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildabeast
Hi Mark,

Been up to the Radar site lately? Or any other abandoned places?
Not lately, no. Need to try putting together an expedition of some sort.

--mark