Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2011, 04:22 AM   #76
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,456
actually, I did stumble across this place last year, Santoy Ohio, used to be a mining town.

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/a...o/P9180008.jpg
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:32 AM   #77
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Oddometer: 168
Attractive Nuisance

What great photos and... as usual... ADVRider comments are the best! I had to laugh at oregoncoast's post about there ALWAYS being an asshat with a spray paint can. It never fails! Anyhow, the comments about risks and property owners and trespass are so great. Years ago in a Torts class we were discussing the attractive nuisance doctrine. As the resident bitter old man returning student, I told the professor there was a picture of my ex-wife next to the definition of attractive nuisance. I think the photos here would be great replacement pics for the definition. They just lure the universal asshat adolescent in all of us... right in. Stow the "urban archeology" justification. In the words of Beavis and Butthead, "This is Cool!"
Old 05-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #78
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,602
Mark, Very interesting report, I find old structures fascinating also. Thanks for doing the research and posting up the pictures, both together really make your report an enjoyable read.

Most of what we see here in the SW are mining structures and their associated towns. Because of the low humidity and lack of rain it takes much longer for nature to reclaim the old places. Like you discovered, the further off the beaten path a place is, the better it's condition usually is.

When I see spray paint on these old structures in the middle of nowhere I got to wonder, is there a group of "Adventure Taggers". Hoodlums driving around in a beatup Blazer looking for stuff like this to paint?

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #79
Mike Wilkins
Old Cisterns

Oddometer: 20
Here's one in the uk that I find totally fascinating

http://www.ngte.co.uk/
Mike Wilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #80
mellowdave
Красное октябрь

Oddometer: 153
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
I live in one of the jurisdictions where adverse possession is recognized, but it doesn't work quite the way you described. In order to win an adverse possession case, you have to prove:
1. open and notorious possession
2. under color of title
3. for the statutory period

It's that second element that you're omitting. Adverse possession does not actually encourage a pure squatter or trespasser to take up residence and then claim ownership of an abandoned property. The requirement of "color of title" means that an adverse possessor needs to prove in court that he believed, and had a reason to believe, that he actually owned the property when he first possessed it. I can't just walk onto your property and take up residence, and become the owner through adverse possession. I have to have a deed or a contract or some means to back up my claim that I had a right to occupy the property. Trespassing just doesn't get you across that line.

The more typical adverse possession case is a property boundary dispute, where one land owner bought a parcel, fenced it and grazed his cattle, then found out years later that the fence was in the wrong place, and enclosed some of the neighbor's land. He sues his neighbor to quiet title to the land inside his fence, under an adverse possession theory. That case is winnable, at least in Wyoming. If instead he walked out onto the prairie, built a fence and started grazing cattle, without any valid reason to claim the land, he would lose every time.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
And the sign says "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
So I put my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said you look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do
So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that, huh, me working for you"

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs
Fuckin' up the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign

And the sign says "Anybody caught trespassing will be shot on sight"
So I jumped the fence and I yelled at the house
Hey! What gives you the right!

To put up a fence and keep me out, or to keep Mother Nature in
If God was here, he'd tell it to your face, man, you're some kind of sinner

Oh, say now mister, can't you read
You got to have a shirt and tie to get a seat
You can't watch, no you can't eat, you ain't supposed to be here

And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" - uh!

And the sign says "Everybody welcome, come in, kneel down and pray"
But then they passed around a plate at the end of it all
And I didn't have a penny to pay
So I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own fuckin' sign
I said, "Thank you Lord for thinking 'bout me, I'm alive and doing fine", oh

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This whole land owners thing has always been a mixed emotion for me. I understand a man's want and right to claim something as his own, and say "No man shall set foot here". BUT...to what end? Why keep people off that are truly engaging in harmless exploration? Take nothing, leave nothing behind. Its a self centered way to look at things on both sides, a man who is so important that he can ignore the law and go where he wants, or a man who is so important that he feels he has absolute domain over mother natures gifts. Were kind of seeing a reverse in trends here in Texas, places that for years were off limits, are seeing public access restored. Reimers Ranch comes to mind, but all in all, Texas is among the most restrictive states in the nation as to property access, and even though were so big, we have about 1% of the public lands California has, not counting national parks, like Big Bend.

2000 Ducati 996::Several XRs
mellowdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #81
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Let's get back to abandoned places shall we?

The bobsled track from the 1984 Olympics in Sarajevo, Bosnia.

Its literally up a mountain where you feel like you're in the clouds. Maybe thats just my city slicker perspective though.

Unfortunately it was used strategically during the war, with snipers from one side apparently hiding in the timekeepers booth pictured, shooting opposing soldiers as they came into view. (Sides have not been named in order to keep this thread apolitical)

Anyway, I took these pics with my iphone on a recent Balkan road trip. Notice the rented Fiat Punto. Wasn't on 2 wheels....hope that's ok!
Attached Images

Tengai In Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #82
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Timekeeper's booth. Beautiful communist architechture
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #83
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Ballin'
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #84
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

I meant for this one to say ballin'.....but whatever!
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #85
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Foggy
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #86
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Totally unrelated, sunrise in Toronto from the roof of an abandoned 8 storey factory. I suspect it's going to be replaced with condos. Wandering home drunk, couldn't help ourselves.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #87
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengai In Toronto View Post
Unfortunately it was used strategically during the war, with snipers from one side apparently hiding in the timekeepers booth pictured, shooting opposing soldiers as they came into view. (Sides have not been named in order to keep this thread apolitical)
War is ugly, you use every advantage you can get to make it unfair in your favor. That is a great defensive point. (Unfortunately that is what I think about when I see things like that.)

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #88
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgates View Post
War is ugly, you use every advantage you can get to make it unfair in your favor. That is a great defensive point. (Unfortunately that is what I think about when I see things like that.)
You're right, it just sucks that a symbol of friendly international competition was used in this way. First the grounds were abandoned, then the people of the region were abandoned (by the international community). Could be wrong in drawing that metaphor. Yugo's please correct me!
Old 07-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #89
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
suprised that skateboaders haven't cleaned off that run so they could play on it. it looks tempting to me and I'm way too old for such fun!
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #90
PhillyTransplant
Indiana Jones

Oddometer: 129
BEST THREAD EVER!!!!
I will take a tear of humility from a bike rider examining his life on the side of a road over science any day of the week.
PhillyTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote