Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,973
Question Difference between KTM SX - EXC - XC?

Excuse the ignorance, but what are the basic differences between the KTM SX - EXC - XC models, lets say in a 450 of 525?

Thanks, Dan
Old 09-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
motogon
Like wind

Oddometer: 1,010
SX - motocross bike. Small tank, close ratio gear box, no lights. Not street legal.
EXC - enduro bike. Bigger tank, lights, suppos to be street legal in US.
XC - cross country. Bigger tank then SX, close ratio gearbox, no lights. Not street legal.
http://www.ktm.com/Model-Comparison.96.20.html

motogon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,413
To add to the above posting.

EXC's are supposed to be a little slower revving then the MX and XC.
It is suggested that EXC's have a larger flywheel.
If the EXC's are not street legal this year. They still will have just about everything that makes for a quick conversion. Such as wiring for both high and low beam head light. The bulb is both high and low beam. Brake light wiring and bulb. To activate these you need to buy a rear brake pressure switch from EE. EE (Enduro Engineering) also sells the wiring harness that allows you to access the high and low beam.
If the EXC is street legal it will also have some smog stuff on it.

The XC or cross country now comes in both close and wide ratio transmissions. There even as an XC-F model. I don’t know much about that bike. The XC looks more like the MX i.e. no brake light or high and low beam head light.

Also a lot of people claim that the 450 is a better single track bike. They site quicker revving as the main benefit.

Many of our local riders jumped on the XC-Ws. They like the MX motor and wide ratio transmission. A few of these transmissions have failed. But for the most part they are very strong.

I am thinking of upgrading before the 525 EXCs can't be bought. I ask a dealer about the maintenance schedule on new 530 bikes. He looked it up and it seems that the valve adjustment is more frequent then on the 525.

I really like my 525. It would be better if I could afford a XR650 or something like it to use for a light adventure bike. I like my SE but I am buying into the theory of lighter is better.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 558
Yep, the good thing is the EXC's will continue to be road legal in the US.

To add to the alphabet soup / confusion, the EXC has a stripped brother, the XCRW (w=wide ratio gearing, like the EXC). It's sprockets are geared lower for running on trails off the shelf, no smog hardware, no lights (but it is wired for it). It does NOT have a keyed ignition, but supposedly has the better triple clamps that can be swapped around to change the geometry. That's for 08. The "older" bikes were pretty much the same as above, but was called the XC-W.
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
DougRoost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Most of the above is for new bikes. If you're looking at 2000-2005 models, i.e.- before the E/XCs were essentially rebranded XC-W's, then they are not street legal from the factory in the US. But as posted above, a Trick Dual Sport kit fixes that and does it very nicely.

The XC was created for the serious harescramble and WORCS racers who were taking SX's and turning them into offroad racers. Thus the suspension is much stiffer, they have close ratio tranny's, the ignition is more aggressive, etc. The XC-W not only has a wide ratio tranny, but it's also a more plush ride and has a little lazier ignition map (just like the E/XCs had been).

KTM was smart to evolve the E/XC into factory street legal bikes. But they really should have renamed them to avoid confusion with previous bikes.
Austin MotoSports Association www.amsaclub.org
DougRoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
monkeyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
Excuse the ignorance, but what are the basic differences between the KTM SX - EXC - XC models, lets say in a 450 of 525?

Thanks, Dan
If you're looking for a '07 EXC, Elite had a 450 as of about a week ago. They had a 525 too, but...

monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
THAT is one SICK rig....

NICE BIKE!!!!
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #8
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Thanks for the info!

Makes sense now.

later Dan
Old 09-29-2007, 04:55 AM   #9
cagiva549
whats a cagiva

Oddometer: 2,454
The six speed in my EXC is the closest ratio trans I have ever had on a bike , a couple times I have shifted and thought I missed the shift . but it sure pulls nice , I gues I will get used to it . I had a Husky 250 years ago that would crawl thru the tights and run a 100 + on the fire roads , that was a wide ratio . SEYA
05 ST3 duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing my geezer ride
cagiva549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #10
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Follow up question:

Why would anyone by a 450 when you can get the 525 for almost the same price?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:32 PM   #11
monkeyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
Follow up question:

Why would anyone by a 450 when you can get the 525 for almost the same price?
From the reports I read the 450 revs faster and is in general a quicker-responding engine than the 525. The 525 (510 cc) is just a stroker version of the 450, same bore. I've heard that you can swap parts into the 450 to make it a 525 fairly easily. Obviously you lose some low-end torque with the 450, not sure about top end - I would think redline would be a little higher.

I've also read that the lower rotating mass and moment of intertia of the 450 has a noticable effect on handling, especially in tight, twisty stuff. I figured my 215-lb fat ass could use every bit of power that it could get though.

I've only got 80 miles or so on my 525, but overall I'm happy with it. A radiator fan and coolant overflow bottle sure would have been nice stock though!
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote