User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
KankakeeBenjamin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
1200gsa new vs used

looking to buy an 08 or newer gsa. whats the deal! called the dealer today i can get a 2011 gsa (all options) for 20500 without haggling. option 2 buy slightly used with a few farkles but what gives the price of the used ones 08 and newer are all at least 15k to 17k. i am new to bmw bikes but i dont get it. i like the savings but I'm not sure a bike with very little warranty left and 15k miles on it is worth the hassle. well I'M a noob I guess so feel free to straighten me out. any clarity would be appreciated. I should add all the bikes i have been interested are at least 16 hours drive away. thanks ride safe
KankakeeBenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
You have just found out that the Beemers, especially the GS keep their values pretty well.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,491
I bought my first one new and plan on keeping it a while. Plus I know how it was maintained its whole life.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:13 AM   #4
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76 View Post
I bought my first one new and plan on keeping it a while. Plus I know how it was maintained its whole life.
+1 ,, I bought a left over 08 to get at least a few $$ off, and have new with warranty. If you plan on keeping this for some time just go new.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:39 AM   #5
fosters2
It is what it is

Oddometer: 197
Bought my 2010 new. I too wanted to know that the only idiot monkeying with it would be me.
IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:21 AM   #6
Silent Panda
Moms love me

Oddometer: 170
Went through same situation last March...bought a left over 09 GSA. Did a fly and drive as my closest dealers would not work on price.

I'm happy that I bought it new. Wih all of the charactor these bike seem to have it is nice to know it is normal and not mistreatment from a PO.

Financing for new vs used made a big difference too. I'm spending almost the same for a new bike each month as I would a used bike. If your paying cash that doesn't matter...I'm not flush like that. Plus for the rate I got, I'll use someone else's money.
Silent Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
KankakeeBenjamin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

new vs used

I hope the opinoins keep coming and i really do appreciate them as i cannot decide what to do. money is not technically an issue however saving some is always nice. the additional 5 horse power on the new bike and the full warranty are making it difficult to decide. well thanks again and i will keep reading the posts until i can finally make a decision. thanks and will keep you all posted. Benjamin
Old 12-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by KankakeeBenjamin View Post
I hope the opinoins keep coming and i really do appreciate them as i cannot decide what to do. money is not technically an issue however saving some is always nice. the additional 5 horse power on the new bike and the full warranty are making it difficult to decide. well thanks again and i will keep reading the posts until i can finally make a decision. thanks and will keep you all posted. Benjamin
The horse power difference is absolutely laughable. The main difference might be a slightly different torque curve and a bit better fueling at low revs. That in combination with the louder exhaust due to the flap makes most people (including me) say it feels significantly different. But if you put an Accelerator or something similar on that corrects the fueling, the difference is marginal at best. I got the 2010 for the better resale value, the gut felt power difference (that is so small according to measurements it must be more psychological and maybe the better fueling), and as there were no 2009 left where I bought.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,736
Get the new one!
Old 12-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
LVNVGS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I'm in the same situation as the OP. Recently decided that a GSA would be my next bike and started looking used, and it turns out that the savings for me isn't worth it. So now I'm going back and forth on new '10 vs. '11. Hoping to find the right deal soon.
LVNVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
dirtybikefrank
Beast wrestler

Oddometer: 370
All depends on the bikes history...

Just scored an 08 GSA that the po (a friend of mine luckily) had all the records for and everything up to date. Paid 14K CASH. It had 24K when i purchased it from him so it still had the factory warranty for a little while. I soon picked up the extended warranty from the BMW dealership ($1200) and it extends the full factory warranty for an additional 5 years UNLIMITED miles. Im gonna ride the piss out of it and im well covered.

The bike had a ton of Touratech goodies, PIAAS, as well as full pannier set. Would have cost over 7K more to outfit a new '10 with the same accessories.

Another advantage of buying a used bike is you dont have to worry about keeping it under 5K on the tach. You can twist that thing til she screams and begs for more.

Doubt you'll find as good a deal but its worth a try. I looked for almost a year while i saved the dinero. Good luck on your hunt. The bike is all its cracked up to be and MORE.
dirtybikefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
Nitzo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,862
i bought a new 07 and spent a bundle on shit. now i have a new 09 and have spent another bundle.............i like new. just me
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #13
KankakeeBenjamin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

new vs used

well just got home from the dealer. Brand new 2011 gsa with everything bmw puts on a motorcycle EXCEPT tire pressure monitor and bike alarm came to 21,250 out the door (7.25% taxe rate). obviously I would still have to buy panniers and kaoko throttle lock and a few other personal bits. Tough choices. well i guess thats all. Ride safe
Old 12-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
dirtybikefrank
Beast wrestler

Oddometer: 370
SWEEEEEET. Enjoy and ride safely.
dirtybikefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #15
Daryl_Stamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 763
Kankakee IL? Last spring the guys @ Chicago BMW were going to hook me up with a good price on a leftover 09 but Craig @ MAX NY did better; & Gregg in their parts / acc dept did even better on the cases. MAX should be within 16 hrs drive from Kankakee. Won't be able to ride Up North for a few more months anyway; consider chilling out for a few weeks; prices might get juicier by Feb. I bought mine over the telephone from O'Hare; picked it up 3 weeks later (March sometime). Couldn't be happier with it; have about 13k on it & can't wait for spring. I would suggest getting new as the warranty gives some peace of mind. You should factor in service costs though; if you're going to have it dealer serviced will be very pricey. I've done all my own except the break in but take it to the shop to have the service clock reset each time; good excuse to go to hang out checking out new bikes and gear. As much as I like ogling other bikes I have no interest whatsoever in replacing Elephantitus; it's just so much fun to ride...anywhere :) :) .... literally laugh out loud fun....