Old 10-14-2007, 02:57 AM   #16
GSpot 1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98

hello ebrew,
The Beringer is the BR-12 model.
12mm piston for clutch
14mm piston for brake,
I put the remote resovoir on the Beringer bracket, but It is there is a catch to the Beringer setup.
You will have to change the O-ring in the clutch slave master to a Beringer, the Vitamol V-10 crap that the BMW uses in clutches, " eats up" the normal o-ring in the slave cylinder, and the Vitamol V-10 " eats" the seals in the Beringer master, just so that you dont mess arround like I did.
The clutch/Brake switches will not work either !!
The BMW uses " normally closed " switches cause of the Can-Bus system ( for display warnings ), but the Beringer system uses " normally open" switches.
I disconnected the clutch switch, and put a normal banjo
pressure switch at the caliber to make it work.
But the Beringer works sooo good, I had to put the BMW clutch master back on for Warranty work on the bike,
and the different was enourmous, the Beringer is like butter compared to the BMW standard master.
But you can buy my set of Beringer Masters, I will buy some new ones, I need the built in resovouirs, because I do off road riding, and then it is not good with remote resovouirs.
With mirror mounts and all, I paid 15-1600 $, you can have them for 900$ plus shipping .
They are black, and are used, but works perfect.
jan
GSpot 1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:30 AM   #17
kahoon
who's yer daddy??

Oddometer: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED
There is Dale, however, I took apart my stock wheels and turned them into "Woodys" 21" 18" wheel set. I have full knobbies on that set and want to have a "dual sport" set up.

Jim
just to understand correctly what you mean. you basically unspoked your wheels and sent the hubs to woody? why did you have to sent your front as well? isn't that already a 21? what did you do with your stock rims?

i'm thinking of doing the same. what knobbies did you decide on? any rubbing issues with the air-shock?

sorry for all the questions

cheers!!
kahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #18
GSpot 1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98

hello kahoon
I have the 17/21 OEM setup for Off-road use.
For street I started with the OEM Sumo wheels, but i think the 17" front looks stupid on such a big bike as the HP2, and I dident like the handling too.
too agressive and nerveus, then Woody made me a
BMW OEM 19" front wheel, but for the HP2 ( 1 disc).
Today I use Pirelli Scorpion Sync, but next time I will
go for the TKC 80 on road and Michelin Dessert for Off road use.
I hope that helped
GSpot 1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #19
kahoon
who's yer daddy??

Oddometer: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpot 1200
hello kahoon
For street I started with the OEM Sumo wheels, but i think the 17" front looks stupid on such a big bike as the HP2, and I dident like the handling too.
I hope that helped
thanks for the info... i was just wondering if there was anything special about a woodys front 21" wheel. from BIG REDs message, it sounded like he sent in his front to woodys as well.

question for you. why did you choose the michelin desert over the stock karoo T? i like the karoos alot (even though the rears life seems to be only 1500 miles!!!!), and they are only about $30 more expensive than the deserts!?
kahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #20
bacon
KZ5TLP

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpot 1200
hello kahoon
I hope that helped
Why would you want to run the TKC 80 for a on road tire?
Their are a lot better choices for a on road tire.

For all that motorcycling is, one of it's greatest gifts is the ability to take us to places where that quote is the first things that came to my mind.
bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #21
Garthe OP
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoon
just to understand correctly what you mean. you basically unspoked your wheels and sent the hubs to woody? why did you have to sent your front as well? isn't that already a 21? what did you do with your stock rims?

i'm thinking of doing the same. what knobbies did you decide on? any rubbing issues with the air-shock?

sorry for all the questions

cheers!!
Hi Kahoon, Yes, I did pull my stock hubs and sent them both to Woody's. Regarding the front rim: I wanted more tire selection, I wanted tubes (so I could regulate air pressure) and the stock rims could not do that. I've set up my bike for off road riding and I wanted to put the best knobbies that I could find on the new rims.

No tire rubbing issues and I run Deserts.

Hope this helps. jim
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #22
mike anderson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Question 19 inch rim

I just got my 19 inch ADV rim, Im taking my SM rotor off and putting it on my ADV rim. can anybody tell me the torque for the rotor screws? please help!

Smyrna,de
mike anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #23
DevDel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Brake disk to front wheel M8 x 20......24 Nm

My chart also says, "Replace screws, Use threadlocker"
DevDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:31 AM   #24
johnny moped
learner

Oddometer: 148
19 front

when using the 19 inch R1200GS front wheel is there any mods that need doing to fit it to the HP2 forts, or do you just loose one rotor ad SM Wheel rotor and bolt on... is this correct? thanks for the help
johnny moped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #25
Devil#1
Temptation Abounds

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny moped View Post
when using the 19 inch R1200GS front wheel is there any mods that need doing to fit it to the HP2 forts, or do you just loose one rotor ad SM Wheel rotor and bolt on... is this correct? thanks for the help
Talk to FUNHOUSE. He's the authority on such things around here.
Devil#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #26
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,684
Quote:
That's it! It will look like something is missing on the right side of the wheel, but other then that it's a direct bolt on.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #27
johnny moped
learner

Oddometer: 148
handling opion

slight off subject to this thread - I am buying an hp2 this weekend, i own a 2009GS and think it is the best handling bike i have ever owned, previous to this i had a 2006 K1200S which for me was the worst handling bike i have owned 2000 miles and i never got used to it, does the long wheelbase of the HP2 make handle like the K1200S ? or does handle like a GS1200 just bigger and lighter with the SM wheels on it ?, and also with the 19 GS front wheel does handle better ? and where can i get the Wilbers lower shock and fork springs?. your opinions would be much appreciated.

johnny moped screwed with this post 12-15-2010 at 08:55 AM
johnny moped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #28
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,684
Quote:
slight off subject to this thread - I am buying an hp2 this weekend, i own a 2009GS and think it is the best handling bike i have ever owned, previous to this i had a 2006 K1200S which for me was the worst handling bike i have owned 2000 miles and i never got used to it, does the long wheelbase of the HP2 make handle like the K1200S ? or does handle like a GS1200 just bigger and lighter?, and also with the 19 GS front wheel does handle better ? your opinions would be much appreciated.
Way too many variables to address that.

Does a 19" feel better on the pavement then a 21"? Yes
Does a 17" feel better on the pavement then a 19"? Yes
Does a 17" feel worse offroad then a 19"? Yes
Does a 19" feel worse offroad then a 21"? Yes

So it's all about compromises and how you're riding the bike. In no way does any of the GS line compare to a K1200S, completely different geometry from the suspension to the body position, etc.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #29
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
17 v 19 ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta View Post
Way too many variables to address that.

Does a 19" feel better on the pavement then a 21"? Yes
Does a 17" feel better on the pavement then a 19"? Yes
Does a 17" feel worse offroad then a 19"? Yes
Does a 19" feel worse offroad then a 21"? Yes

So it's all about compromises and how you're riding the bike. In no way does any of the GS line compare to a K1200S, completely different geometry from the suspension to the body position, etc.

I don't have a steering damper on my HP and found the 17" SM front caused the bike to understeer on bumpy downhill turns.....not certain about track day use but I find the 19 front to be absolutely wonderful....update after forks rebuild by Fast Bike Industries in February....Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #30
tallrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I agree with funhouse. I have the 19" wheel on my bike now and greatly prefer it over the 17". The 17" wheel made the handling a bit twitchy on high speed sections between the twisties.

A better rider could have exploited the MM 17 inch setup I have with a larger cross section rear tire with the 17" inch front (both with road attack tires). I find with the 17 inch rear and 19 inch front I can now just start to feel the rear start to slide when I am riding very aggressively where as before it felt like the front was trying to push out (understeer) in an aggressive corner.

I also thought the 17" inch wheel looked like a roller skate wheel on the bike and wasn't thrilled about having to remove the brake caliper in order to get the front wheel.

tallrider is offline   Reply With Quote