Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #361
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt-88 View Post
As a matter of fact, yes, with great enjoyment and a giant grin the whole time. I won't pretend to be offended that you don't like the way the bike looks- that's okay, really. The aesthetic was never meant to be universal or even popular. Instead, it was built for one guy- me.

Things I loved about it were the utterly stable feeling I got tearing around with my seat less than 15" from pavement. Turning felt effortless and straight line cruising was heavenly, whether that's of any value or not.

Things I didn't love- the constant reproach from old guys about the lack of seat padding, bags, fenders, radios, heated grips, etc. That did, in fact, get old.

The DNA springer in this application was heavy and a bit overkill. I could probably have built a more suitable front end, but laziness won out and it was easier to adapt the bearings and neck cup than craft a whole front end.

Anyway. You probably didn't ask for all that- I'm not sure if you wanted me to get upset? I'm sorry if you did, because I couldn't be less. What kind of bikes do you build/like/dream of building? I'm genuinely interested.
Good answer. No, I wasn't intending to upset you, I was posting an honest first reaction. We have different tastes.

I don't have to like it, and you don't have to be offended that I don't like it.
Whatever floats your boat, as they say. If you like the way it turned out, that's good enough for me.

BTW, lack of "amenities" are the last thing I'd criticize. Lack of practical ergonomics are the first. But if it works for you, no more needs to be said about it.

I finished this bike earlier this year. Link, because it's not a bobber.
I did get my share of criticism over the choice of red frame, gray sheet metal, and a bit over use of Japanese parts on it, but it's the way I wanted it.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #362
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Not sure how long this picture will remain visible.
Not old school, by any means, but I've seen a few other bobbers in this thread with questionable "old's cool" credentials.

My guess is the donor bike got binned, and the owner threw away everything that wasn't unbroken. Not sure how much fun it would be to ride with that seat spanking you in the rear every time you went over a bump.
And the rear subframe mounting bracket could be used to perform a rather primitive type of vasectomy.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #363
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by caponerd View Post
Good answer. No, I wasn't intending to upset you, I was posting an honest first reaction. We have different tastes.

I don't have to like it, and you don't have to be offended that I don't like it.
Whatever floats your boat, as they say. If you like the way it turned out, that's good enough for me.

BTW, lack of "amenities" are the last thing I'd criticize. Lack of practical ergonomics are the first. But if it works for you, no more needs to be said about it.

I finished this bike earlier this year. Link, because it's not a bobber.
I did get my share of criticism over the choice of red frame, gray sheet metal, and a bit over use of Japanese parts on it, but it's the way I wanted it.
Well, I think your bike is beautiful and incredibly well done.

So there! Lol.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #364
Kt-88
I like everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
More power to ya, but, where do you put your feet? Is that the r/h peg shown near the kickstarter?
If so, I would also like to see a picture of you riding it.

And if your build blows your dress up then that's all that matters. You obviously have some imagination, skill and a nice looking model to show off your work.

cheers.
Pegs were mounted off of the exhaust header mounts. If I didn't have some deep-seated hatred for forwards, that probably would have been the way to go.

The model is actually my wife now. So, you know, that worked.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #365
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt-88 View Post
Pegs were mounted off of the exhaust header mounts. If I didn't have some deep-seated hatred for forwards, that probably would have been the way to go.

The model is actually my wife now. So, you know, that worked.
Ok, I'm curious about the rear suspension, or whatever is going on with that little strut that appears to be welded to the swingarm.
Is that connected to a leaf spring under there somewhere?

I'm intrigued with whatever it is that you did down there. Can you post some more detailed pictures? (no matter what, I do like clever engineering solutions)
Old 10-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #366
Kt-88
I like everything.

I'll see if I can dig some up. The rear was just hard tailed with the bracing under the swing arm.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #367
Kt-88
I like everything.

The seat was sprung with leaf springs, though. Kinda cushy.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:42 AM   #368
divaha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Very proud to show you my new love;

divaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:12 AM   #369
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360

Almost done.