ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Utah Parks first week in November

Thinking of getting down to see Bryce and over hwy 12 to Torrey. The pass is at 10,000 ft. I'll Probably run into snow. Are the roads well maintained...can I get through? GS1200Adv.
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:40 AM   #2
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodanja
Thinking of getting down to see Bryce and over hwy 12 to Torrey. The pass is at 10,000 ft. I'll Probably run into snow. Are the roads well maintained...can I get through? GS1200Adv.
The roads are all in great shape, but there is no way you wanna ride H12 in snow conditions. It has a sheer drop off both sides, with no barrier as it traverses the ridge for about 10 miles.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
EphTwoEight
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
do you plan on hitting Zion?

"The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
-- Cicero - 55 BC
EphTwoEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

No Zion. Saw it last year. I was going to come down to Cedar City, across 14 to 89 to Bryce. Also, see Escalante and Capitol Reef.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #5
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
You are 50/50 for a snowless pass that time of year. With or without snow on the road, patches of black ice on the Torrey side of the pass are not uncommon if there is rain the night before. If the pass is snowless and iceless, the area of 12 MadBritt referred to (Boulder > west) would be clear.

Suggest talking to the Escalante BLM visitor's center. 2nd one down this list. They're the go-to crew for the most accurate road and weather conditions on 12.

14 to Cedar City gets iffy at Duck Creek. Again - black ice.

An alternative scenic route would be 143 (Panguitch > Cedar Breaks National Park > Cedar City). The elevation on 143 is comparable to 14, but 143 gets much more sun. Its all good road.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

OK. So We have changed our trip to the first weekend in October. That should be better. Just a saw tuckerdts report to Goblin Valley....now I want to go. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=goblin
Old 09-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
garnz
Happy to be here.

Oddometer: 350
Just got back from that route.

I just got got back from a round trip to Colorado. I went through that area between Cedar City and Torrey. Just amazing. Have a blast and take lots of pics (although pics don't do that area justice).

My ride report is forthcoming.
garnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,559
Hi,

You should be there THIS weekend.All the BMWSporttouring folks are at Torrey for their fall get together.
If(doubtful)I get over my upper respiratory infection by tomorrow,I'll be heading that way too.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #9
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,506
Talking IF weather is bad....an alternative

If the weather turns wet and nasty, north east on 12 from Bryce toward Torry (over Boulder mountain, Escalante, etc) typically is gonna be icy...

A great alternative from hwy 12 (if Bryce IS or WAS your destination) is to head straight north out of Bryce where the road to the park crosses hwy 12, onto state rd 22 (I think its 22)...
It has little traffic (though the speed limit is posted way too low at 45 mph)- so very little spray, etc if its wet...
the road travels north to Antimony(with some fun twisities), then to Koosherm. Just North of Koosherm, the rd (22?) links up with Fish Lake Highway (hwy 24) that turns east(ish)...leading toward Loa, Bicknell, and Torry......
Essentially you go at Torry the other way 'round but at a WAY LOWER altitude (7000 -7500 ft), less traffic as well.

Signal screwed with this post 09-26-2007 at 09:25 PM
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys for all the info.

severence: That route looks good. I was thinking an alternate would be 89, but 22 looks fun.

JR356: Thanks for the tip, but this weekend I'll be riding with a couple of Harleys to Sun Valley (can't pass that up! )
Old 10-09-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,506
Report??

Snow/wind/rain, other? Miles, views, good cafes....
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #12
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Well the weather was suppose to be bad so I didn't go.....but....I still want to go in November...I think I'll just keep an eye on weather.com and then go when the forecast is somewhat decent. Please post if you have any other comments for the trip in Nov. I'll definately post a trip report. Keep looking.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 PM   #13
LandCruiserPhil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddBrit
The roads are all in great shape, but there is no way you wanna ride H12 in snow conditions. It has a sheer drop off both sides, with no barrier as it traverses the ridge for about 10 miles.
Another vote for Hwy 12 ...
Attached Images

LandCruiserPhil is offline   Reply With Quote