Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #526
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Yeah, I think I should have printed my paypal reciept for the down payment I sent.
I did have the Craigslist add on my phone and could have supplied the paypal info if requested.

Cheers
Old 04-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #527
bmwnewbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
On other item I forgot to mention in regards to RIV. Make sure the recall letter you get is sent to RIV within 30 days, other wise it will not be accepted and they will ask for an updated one.

I forgot about this as I rode my 2002 K1200 LT in Phoenix since Dec. 2012 and when sent to RIV two weeks ago, they declined, had to get another from dealer in AZ.

bmwnewbie
bmwnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #528
Muskokan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Speedometer in metric

Sorry if this question is repetitive. I am planning on importing a BMW F800gs from the states. i understand that the instrument cluster only shows speed in MPH and that Canada will require it to read in Km/HR. Has anyone had success in either converting or having a dealer convert the speedo? I also understand that there's no problem with the odometer being in miles. Was this a problem at CTC or in certifying the bike?
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #529
Muskokan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Speedometer in Metric

I should have researched alittle more before I posted this question. The F800gs (US) has the speedometer in both mph and metric so my concern is resolved.
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #530
H e a d N o r t h
(take the high road)

Oddometer: 930
My caponord was imported from the US. It is in miles. Nothing metric.
Was not a problem. If it was, I'd have added some surface stickers or something.

First Ride...EVER!
Jan. 1, 2012
H e a d N o r t h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #531
jkdwings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Hey guys, there's been some phenomenal information and advice in this thread and it's because of it that I decided to buy a KLR in Buffalo, NY back in the fall. Well, it's getting to the time that I fly out there to ride her home (fly on 26 APR 13), and I've got a quick request.

Anyone who has done a fly and ride or something similar, were there any places in particular that were easy or difficult to get insurance/plate/temporary transit permit or whatever route you went for the States? Getting a temporary transit for Canada is no problem, just curious which brokers/shops/businesses are better for dealing with this south of the 49th.

Thanks in advance for any help! Reply here for everyone to see, or feel free to send me a PM!

Regards,

Jason
jkdwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #532
bmwnewbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Make sure you know at what US/Canada Border Crossing you will be coming through, check to make sure of the hours of operation as at some of the smaller crossing they shut down around 8:00 pm, especially if you are coming through at some of the Sask./US crossings.

Also don't forget to have your export documents at the US Border 72 ours before you show up.

bmwnewbie
bmwnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #533
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,474
Without having to go through 500+ posts...maybe someone would be kind enough to write me a quick summary of what steps I need to take ?

I bought a 1981 BMW from a fellow down south
The bike is being delivered to me early June
I can meet the bike at the border
Does the date mean anything (older bike)
The bike is not being delivered by the owner, but by some other dude from the US

Any asistance would be appreciated as my eyes went glossed over after trying to read through this thread

Cheers
Ted

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #534
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Without having to go through 500+ posts...maybe someone would be kind enough to write me a quick summary of what steps I need to take ?

I bought a 1981 BMW from a fellow down south
The bike is being delivered to me early June
I can meet the bike at the border
Does the date mean anything (older bike)
The bike is not being delivered by the owner, but by some other dude from the US

Any asistance would be appreciated as my eyes went glossed over after trying to read through this thread

Cheers
Ted
coles notes version:
  1. fax the VIN to the US export office 72 hrs prior to crossing, US customs officer will check the bike before it exits the US (do not miss this step if you're planning to ride back with same bike)
  2. Enter Canadia and pay taxes for import, just show them bill of sale and you're good (HST)
  3. No RIV as it's over 15 years old
  4. Go to canadian tire for a comformance check (safety) and you're good to go.
  5. remember you're only allowed 3 cool bikes at a time
Old 04-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #535
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiablolex View Post
coles notes version:
  1. fax the VIN to the US export office 72 hrs prior to crossing, US customs officer will check the bike before it exits the US (do not miss this step if you're planning to ride back with same bike)
  2. Enter Canadia and pay taxes for import, just show them bill of sale and you're good (HST)
  3. No RIV as it's over 15 years old
  4. Go to canadian tire for a comformance check (safety) and you're good to go.
  5. remember you're only allowed 3 cool bikes at a time

Seems easy enough, much appreciated (First two beers are on me)

Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #536
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Not to muddy the waters too much, but you need to fax a copy of the title to US customs not just the VIN. Some US customs (check with whatever one your guy is planning to use), may also want a one page form filled out saying who is selling it, who is buying it, and who is importing it. Its older than 15 years so no RIV, which means you do not need the Crappy tire safety check, you do however need a provincial inspection before you can license it.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #537
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
Not to muddy the waters too much, but you need to fax a copy of the title to US customs not just the VIN. Some US customs (check with whatever one your guy is planning to use), may also want a one page form filled out saying who is selling it, who is buying it, and who is importing it. Its older than 15 years so no RIV, which means you do not need the Crappy tire safety check, you do however need a provincial inspection before you can license it.
yes I stand corrected, when I said VIN I meant the title that contains the VIN
On the safety check (can't remember the actual name they use) I think its more of a comformance issue for DRL lights and speedo showing miles instead of kms, may be RIV related, so if thats the case then just a normal safety will do.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #538
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Cheers, thanks for the advice...much appreciated

Old 04-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #539
LVGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
Sorry, one more thing. CDN customs may also require some proof of the actual selling price e.g. Craigslist Ad.
LVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #540
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGS View Post
Sorry, one more thing. CDN customs may also require some proof of the actual selling price e.g. Craigslist Ad.

I've had this happen to me a few times. Usually when the price I mentioned was so good that the agent thought I was trying to cheat on the taxes. On two of those ocasions, the agent called the seller, after searching for the ad online while I'm standing at the counter...

Not saying you should try to pay less taxes on a price lower then you actually paid, just make sure that you, the seller, and your paperwork all tell the same story.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote