Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #556
bmwnewbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
If bike was originally tilted American bike, simply show up a US Customs and advise you are bringing bike back into the US, they the re stamp the original title that they stamped leaving the US. I have knowledge only of reimporting an originally titled US Vehicle.

I would think. If it was not originally a US Titled Bike, I would make sure you have all of the Compliance Stickers on the bike stating that it meets all of the US & Canadian Department of Transport/Manufacturing Standards.

Also, check with US Customs where you will be crossing and request what Worksheets and information required to be filled out. I would supply your contact and buyers information, your original title, bill of sale, the buyers new bill of sale etc.

bmwnewbie
bmwnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #557
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 366
Eh? Importing a vintage trials bike to Canada

Just a couple of questions I am curious about. I have purchased a 1975 Honda TL250 from an inmate in Washington State and plan to go and pick it up in the next few weeks. He has the original title and is sending that to me along with a bill of sale. I realize that the bike is older than 15 years but I am wondering other than the title and bill of sale do I need to send/fax anything else to the border crossing I am using? I do not plan on licensing the bike and will likely only ride it on private property. Thank you in advance for any insight to my questions.
Cheers Brian
Old 07-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #558
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
You need to fax (or maybe email) a copy of the title document to the US Customs office where you will export the bike at least 72 hours prior to exporting. US Customs will stamp the original title "exported" at export time assuming the title is clear. At Canadian customs you will need to pay GST/PST (or HST if you are HST province). But you will not need to go through the RIV process since the bike is over 15 years old.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #559
bymbie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
If a bike is newer than 15 years old and is not on the admissible list, can I import it as parts, even in two shipments, assemble it and get it registered/plated?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #560
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bymbie View Post
If a bike is newer than 15 years old and is not on the admissible list, can I import it as parts, even in two shipments, assemble it and get it registered/plated?
No. Your import paperwork will be stamped "parts only" and you will not be able to register the VIN.

edit: expanding a bit, you either go through the RIV process as a "parts only" vehicle and get the paperwork showing "parts only". Or you slip it by Customs as "motorcycle parts" with no RIV involved. Then when you go to license it your provincial licensing agency notices a U.S. bill of sale and title and will not license it because you have no import paperwork. There's always a chance you'll get someone who doesn't know the process though and maybe be successful...

MacNoob screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 07:32 PM
Old 07-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #561
bymbie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Thank you for the information... one less option to worry about
Old 07-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #562
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Too good to be true???

Hey Guys,
I was doing a google search for something else and came across this link:
RecallLetters.com - Get A RECALL CLEARANCE LETTER - Fast & Easy!

Given the restrictions Ducati North America and others have put on importing newer US bikes into Canada, and having gone through the process of importing myself, Im curious what everyone else makes of this?

Says approved or your money back...so just for fun I entered in the VIN for my 996 SPS that I imported last year. The website quoted me $89.95. I managed to get a letter for my situation for less than $50, but I know others have been gouged a $500 hit...which is pure BS, so a no hassle "approved or your money back" deal for that price seems to be reasonable considering they will forward the letter to RIV for you. One less step in the process.

Almost seems to good to be true....FWIW, I did try to call the 1 866 number they list but I got an aswering service and was prompted to leave a message.

Thoughts? Anyone use this service yet?
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #563
devildogg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Just imported a KTM Adventure S from US this week, it was easy peezy, had the PO go to his dealer and ask for a recall letter, no problem, emailed it off to RIV, approved a day later.
Total time at the border US and Canada less than an hour
Canadian tire, maybe 20 minutes
Falkins insurance, I got the trainee, wouldn't ya know it, but she was cute so it was OK, maybe 1 hour
Lunch at Alice's restaurant 1 hour
The ride back from Santa Cruz, 3 days of incredible roads

only advice I can offer is have all your ducks in a row, do your home work ahead of time and verify each step

devildogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #564
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 929
Question what year

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildogg View Post
Just imported a KTM Adventure S from US this week, it was easy peezy, had the PO go to his dealer and ask for a recall letter, no problem, emailed it off to RIV, approved a day later.
Total time at the border US and Canada less than an hour
Canadian tire, maybe 20 minutes
Falkins insurance, I got the trainee, wouldn't ya know it, but she was cute so it was OK, maybe 1 hour
Lunch at Alice's restaurant 1 hour
The ride back from Santa Cruz, 3 days of incredible roads

only advice I can offer is have all your ducks in a row, do your home work ahead of time and verify each step
Ok so easy you say.... Now what year is the KTM adventure? is older then an 08?? If so they are are on the import list and 08 and newer are not.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:13 AM   #565
BikerBobber
Trying to get lost

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
Good explanation. Just a couple of additional notes ...

1) The bike needs to have the Manufacturer declare that all safety recalls have been done on your particular bike. So you need to get in touch with BMW for example ... give them your VIN and they need to fax you back a letter on their letterhead stating the bike is clear of recalls. You need this to cross into Canada.
Actually you do not need this to cross the border. You do need it to import the bike but you have 45 to do it.
Also, you cannot register the bike until the RIV process is complete. You require a copy of the completed RIV paperwork to do so.
:

From my mobile
My translab adventure http://bobandmike10x10.blogspot.com/
BikerBobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #566
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Buy a NEW bike in N.D.?

Found a NEW bike in ND I would like. I live in Manitoba. Kawi dealer says they can't sell to me per Kawi dealer agreement but they would be happy to sell to someone in U.S.

I have a relative in U.S. but they live two states away. Dealer says relative needs to be present at ND dealer in order to sell bike. Not very practical.

Is anyone aware of a commercial service (broker) that would buy the bike, get a title to it, then sell it to me (for some appropriate service charge of course).

The whole importing to Canada thing I'm very familiar with, so that's not a problem. Neither am I in any hurry to take delivery, although 'promo pricing' on the unit ends this month.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #567
devildogg
Studly Adventurer

The only flaw in that plan might be the taxes that would have to be paid in ND (not sure) and then again when you import the bike, could end up being a double whammy, and of course paying duty is required but after 4 days you get your $800.00 duty free
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
Found a NEW bike in ND I would like. I live in Manitoba. Kawi dealer says they can't sell to me per Kawi dealer agreement but they would be happy to sell to someone in U.S.

I have a relative in U.S. but they live two states away. Dealer says relative needs to be present at ND dealer in order to sell bike. Not very practical.

Is anyone aware of a commercial service (broker) that would buy the bike, get a title to it, then sell it to me (for some appropriate service charge of course).

The whole importing to Canada thing I'm very familiar with, so that's not a problem. Neither am I in any hurry to take delivery, although 'promo pricing' on the unit ends this month.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #568
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Actually I forgot about the duty - thanks for reminding me. I was just thinking GST/PST. Vehicle sales tax in ND is 5%.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #569
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildogg View Post
..... and of course paying duty is required but after 4 days you get your $800.00 duty free
No import duty on motorcycles. Cars, trucks etc. only.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #570
devildogg
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
No import duty on motorcycles. Cars, trucks etc. only.
Any vehicle manufactured outside of the free trade agreement requires duty to be collected. There certainly was on the KTM

Austria, Italy, Japan etc anything manufactured there would require duty be paid. Although a VW a German car manufactured in Mexico is duty free Chey from Detroit, duty free, Dodge Ram, Mexico duty free. Ferrari Italy BIG DUTY