ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #631
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I brought in 3 Suz's and all required a written letter sent by snail mail to US Suz and they snail mailed the recall letter back, so this added a few weeks in the process. This was a few years ago though.

Yamaha Canada on the other hand, faxed it to me in 5 minutes after I called the 1-800#

good luck
Well that was easy. I couldnt get ahold of suzuki yesterday because of the holiday but got on the phone with them today. About 5 minutes on the phone getting things done and they asked "are you at your computer"-yes
Ok i just sent the email, i will stay on to make sure it goes through
Voila-
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #632
Critt
Gathering info
 
Critt's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Trenton, In the Sky
Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
Well that was easy. I couldnt get ahold of suzuki yesterday because of the holiday but got on the phone with them today. About 5 minutes on the phone getting things done and they asked "are you at your computer"-yes
Ok i just sent the email, i will stay on to make sure it goes through
Voila-
Right on. I hope this import works out well for you. Talk soon about the gear.
Critt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #633
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critt View Post
Right on. I hope this import works out well for you. Talk soon about the gear.
Going to send the deposit tonight so its a done deal as long as something doesnt go sideways in the next few hours.
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #634
Maggot12
Banned
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 3,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
Well that was easy. I couldnt get ahold of suzuki yesterday because of the holiday but got on the phone with them today. About 5 minutes on the phone getting things done and they asked "are you at your computer"-yes
Ok i just sent the email, i will stay on to make sure it goes through
Voila-
Good to hear, nice that they changed their policy.. good luck
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #635
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 358
last import question
This is for a non-RIV Bike that i will be picking up in a couple weeks. The current owner bought it in sept but the bikes plates were still good through this year, so never transferred the title yet. The title he has, and sent me has all the previous owners info filled in, and his as the new buyer. I will be buying it off of him and the bill of sale will come from the current owner, saying that he sold it to me for $xxxx.
This isnt a bike that needs to go through RIV since its over 15 year old. So I know the US customs wants the title and bill of sale 72 hours in advance. I cant see any issue with me having a bill of sale from the current owner, and the title signed over to his name but figured i should ask. CBP really wont even care to see the title im sure, but will want the bill of sale
Comments, or concerns?
Thanks\

gumbellion screwed with this post 02-26-2014 at 10:02 AM
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:00 PM   #636
KLR650Teach
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Penticton BC
Oddometer: 47
Mexico to Canada?

This thread has been about importing a vehicle from the USA into Canada. I'm currently in Mexico returning home to Canada in April. I see that all Honda motorcycles are on the allowable list from the US to Can.

Can anyone tell me if those same models are allowed to be brought into Canada from other countries as well specifically Mexico. I'd love to bring back a new Honda Super Cub 110 cc scooter.
KLR650Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:03 AM   #637
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer
 
MacNoob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: The mosquito-y Center of Canada
Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR650Teach View Post
This thread has been about importing a vehicle from the USA into Canada. I'm currently in Mexico returning home to Canada in April. I see that all Honda motorcycles are on the allowable list from the US to Can.

Can anyone tell me if those same models are allowed to be brought into Canada from other countries as well specifically Mexico. I'd love to bring back a new Honda Super Cub 110 cc scooter.
Nope, not unless it has all the U.S. certification stickers on it. The auto import deal is Canada - U.S. only.
__________________
Quote:
"Ignorance, you see, can be out thought. Arrogance can be outmaneuvered. But ignorance and arrogance combined are unassailable."
82 Honda C70, 71 Honda CL175, 08 Kawasaki KLR650, 85 Honda GL1200 Goldwing
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #638
Maggot12
Banned
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 3,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
last import question
This is for a non-RIV Bike that i will be picking up in a couple weeks. The current owner bought it in sept but the bikes plates were still good through this year, so never transferred the title yet. The title he has, and sent me has all the previous owners info filled in, and his as the new buyer. I will be buying it off of him and the bill of sale will come from the current owner, saying that he sold it to me for $xxxx.
This isnt a bike that needs to go through RIV since its over 15 year old. So I know the US customs wants the title and bill of sale 72 hours in advance. I cant see any issue with me having a bill of sale from the current owner, and the title signed over to his name but figured i should ask. CBP really wont even care to see the title im sure, but will want the bill of sale
Comments, or concerns?
Thanks\
While no experience.. I can't see you having any issues.
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #639
pitbull
Beastly Adventurer
 
pitbull's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 2,488
Recently picked up a ducati ST4 on the U.S side of Niagara falls.


I didn't have to get the title to the border 72 hours before bringing the bike over, I just had to email the border (queenston/Lewiston) with the vin #, make, model and year, 72 hours prior.
pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #640
Aaen
Adventurer
 
Aaen's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Courtenay, BC & Calgary
Oddometer: 69
Just brought across a 2013 Tiger Triumph 800xc, found a smoking deal on it and had it shipped up.

Stupidly I forgot the ad and payment details on my desk at home as I got off work on Friday and hauled ass down to get it. Well that lead into CBSA thinking I was hiding stuff and the normal shakedown and me trying to prove it to them.

Thankfully I was in and out within 30 mins at the inspection table and them going through my truck, as I was able to show them the ad and found the wire transfer info in my truck.

Lesson learned, remember the ad and payment details when you get a smoking deal on a bike that has 600 miles on it and is valued at a lot more then you paid for it. Otherwise face the wraith of the CBSA agent who searches kajiji/autotrader for the value of the bike and tries to make it sound like you are lying to him.

Oddly though they had a group of guys, coincidentally all with motorbikes in the inspection area as well. Wonder if they were looking for something or someone?

Steve
Aaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #641
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Canada eh?
Oddometer: 893
Importing a BMW from the states...letter and warranty?

So I am looking at a bike stateside. Does BMW still charge $500 for that damn recall letter or have they abandoned that nonsense ? And if the bike still has 2 years of warranty left from the US dealer, is it null and void once it crosses the border?

Thanks
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #642
backroadbob.com
Roads Scholar
 
backroadbob.com's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Oddometer: 231
Recall Letter?

Never heard of it (but BMW and Apple are masters at gouging, then nickel and dimeing their customers), but warranties on Japanese bikes aren't cross-border. If you have a claim, they will tell you to take it to a US dealer. It's b/c the warranties are handled by two different corporations.
__________________
New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #643
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Canada eh?
Oddometer: 893
It looks like you don't need to recall letter to cross the border because BMW has to do everything differently than everybody else, but in order to put it on the road in canada, you need the recall letter from BMW canada and they need to see the bike.

Oh....of course....and charge you $500 for the pleasure.....
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #644
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TOTim's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto On
Oddometer: 182
Ask the seller to get the letter from his BMW dealer.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:36 AM   #645
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Canada eh?
Oddometer: 893
From what I read online, you don't need the recall letter to get the bike over the border,but you need to get it from BMW canada and they have to see the bike. Then they get you for the 500.00.

Not from the dealership in the states.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014