ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
Ready2Rip OP
The Bird is the Word

Oddometer: 22
One way pickup truck rental

Does anyone know where I could rent a pickup for a one way rental from LAX to Tucson for the upcoming Creel gathering? We're launching from Douglas, AZ, and I don't want to come back for my truck.

Budget, Hertz and Enterprise all said no thanks.

Cheers,

Ready2Rip
Ready2Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,532
Would a box truck work?

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Rip
Does anyone know where I could rent a pickup for a one way rental from LAX to Tucson for the upcoming Creel gathering? We're launching from Douglas, AZ, and I don't want to come back for my truck.

Ready2Rip
I had the same experience a year ago when trying to get to Montana for the start of our Continental Divide ride. Ended up with Penske. The phone quote was no better than anyone else but when I showed up and talked with the guy there, I found what vehicles he had too many of sitting in the lot. The price dropped from over $1000 to just under $400 for a 12' box. He gave that to me cheaper than a pickup. They give a AAA discount.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz
I had the same experience a year ago when trying to get to Montana for the start of our Continental Divide ride. Ended up with Penske. The phone quote was no better than anyone else but when I showed up and talked with the guy there, I found what vehicles he had too many of sitting in the lot. The price dropped from over $1000 to just under $400 for a 12' box. He gave that to me cheaper than a pickup. They give a AAA discount.
^that's probably the best bet.

If you absolutely must have a pickup truck U-Haul rents them too.

What kind of bike are you bringing? You could get creative with an SUV or Mini-Van from one of the Rental Agencies as well. Hertz etc doesn't want you renting a Pickup from them One-Way 'cause they don't have many of them in their local fleets to begin with and they are sooo easy to rent out. I'd rather rent an F150 for $70/day from Avis than $19 +$.08/mile locally from U-Hual.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,726
Uhaul only rents pickups for local moves- last I checked. Might be the same for other companies.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
The Fist
Knulp

Oddometer: 3,589
I had the same problem....no one-way pickups....

I called U-Haul to go from San Diego to Durango -- they said $1400 -- I said no thanks....then they dropped their price to $1000 -- then $800 -- I said nah, that's okay, "I can find a pick up truck for less than that..." They told me to name my price...I told 'em $300 -- they countered with $350 and it was a done deal.

Lots of Uhaul places need their trucks dispersed and are motivated to sweeten the deal. Worth a try.
The Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Ready2Rip OP
The Bird is the Word

Thanks for the tips, guys. The bikes are a KTM 525 and a KLR 650. With the custom windscreens, it would be tough to shoehorn them into a minivan.

I'll try swinging by some of my local rental companies and seeing if they're more reasonable in person. I hadn't tried Penske yet, thanks for the tip!$400 is about all I'd want to spend, or else I'd be better off paying one of my buddies to drive my truck.

Cheers,

Ready2Rip
Old 10-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
MojaveGS
Loving it!

Oddometer: 3,735
Quote:

Cheers,

Ready2Rip
Can you fly into another airport? Enterprise in Vegas has trucks.
VTTMZFPKWGDKZXTJCDIGKUHUAUEKCAR
MojaveGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
Yeti Man
Yep, I'm that guy

Oddometer: 1,126
Try

Quote:

Cheers,

Ready2Rip

R2

Try Auto Driveaway. They will pay you to drive someone elses rig to the destination.

Yetters
Old 10-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #10
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti Man
R2

Try Auto Driveaway. They will pay you to drive someone elses rig to the destination.

Yetters
They're going to Douglas. NO ONE goes to Douglas. All the streets are one way.............OUT.

That's my old home town, so I can pick on it.
Uglyprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #11
J.W.Mudd
"Moto Loco"

Oddometer: 1,072
Option I have used

I have used U Haul with great success in the past. 10' Box van will swallow both bikes with no problem. I would not tell them you are hauling bikes, it seems that they are not really open to that idea! Rates do vary, it seems that it is far cheaper to rent north to south (by half the price), than south to north.

There are some tricks to secure the bikes in place, as the tie-down strapping along the walls of the truck will not support holding bikes in place.
PM me and I will be happy to share the bombproof means to secure bikes in a U-Haul.

PS: All of U-Haul vans from 10' up do come with ramps, which make loading/unloading ez

Let's Moto!

www.worldadventures.smugmug.com
J.W.Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:07 PM   #12
The Fist
Knulp

Oddometer: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmudd
PS: All of U-Haul vans from 10' up do come with ramps, which make loading/unloading ez
Unfortunately, that's not true...I rented a brand new 10' box truck from them and I had to sneak around and borrow a ramp from a car-hauler to put the 950 inside...

I would also agree that U-haul is not too happy to hear that you're hauling motos, so just dont mention it when youre placing your order. They didn't seem to mind when I loaded the bike in their parking lot, but who knows...

As far as securing tie-downs to the walls, I've had good experience with that -- I went to wally-world and bought a bunch of long nylon loops to tie around the walls mounting points. I used 4 tie downs and had no problems.
The Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:31 AM   #13
J.W.Mudd
"Moto Loco"

Oddometer: 1,072
Talking Uhaul 10' & 14'

I guess I got lucky with the ramp on a 10' ft box van from uhaul, it had a ramp (it was brand new with only 7,000 miles on it)!

U-Haul site says 10' box van = no ramp
14' and up comes with ramp

I still don't trust the wall tie-down straps, as they are NOT through bolted and have NO backing plates to prevent pull outs. Would hate to see my bike trying to climb into my lap in the event of a hard braking or accident

Let's Moto!

www.worldadventures.smugmug.com
J.W.Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
Ready2Rip OP
The Bird is the Word

Penske quoted me $350, which is what we planned on going with. Unfortunately, my buddy got jumped & is in the hospital. We're not going to make the trip. ; (

Thanks for all your tips,

Ready2Rip
Old 10-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
HondaPC
gremlin

Oddometer: 1
I'm looking into doing the one way truck rental as well, and I also need to move my bike. Can anyone give me some advice or maybe share an experience they've had? I found this site, they let you enter your info and I guess they find you a company.. seems to work the same way that an insurance broker works.. www.zmoving.com has anyone used them or heard of them??

Or if anyone could recommend another company, that would be great. thanks!!

Marc
HondaPC is offline   Reply With Quote