User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,161
The rebirth of an ADV Gold Wing

To understand this ride, you have to have some history. I'm an older bike kind of guy. I've been riding Honda V4s for years. That means over 25 years for my '84 Sabre. Well, to keep them running I joined a V4 internet list back in '98.

There's about 500 members on the list, and I've become good friends with many of them. These guys have toured Baja with me and much of the states as well.....even Alaska.
They've even nursed me thru engine overhauls and all sorts of other major V4 repairs. They are a crafty crowd when it comes to the workshop.

Getting ready to touch down in Boston

So anyway, one of them, and his wife, throws a moto-get-together on Labor Day weekend in Maine every year. As I live in SD Calif, it's a struggle to make the party. I had been able to do the party 5 times in the last 7 years, but didn't think that I'd get there in 2010......or maybe never again, since I'm get a little long in the tooth.
Four of the past visits, I managed to get some old POS bike in the east and ride it back to San Diego. One year it was a V4 Magna, then an NX250, and a '81 Silver Wing, as well as a PC800. But I figured that was all over probably.

About a month before the event, I got a call from Jason in Mass about an '83 Gold Wing that was in pretty good shape, and was available at a good price, and why didn't I come back, do the get together, and ride that home to SD.
Well, I didn't know why. Except getting 2 weeks off from my lovely wife, Dee, might be impossible. But I told Jason to sign me up, and that I'd think of someway to get Dee to agree to the trip.
I was even prepared to ask for forgiveness when I got back, if I couldn't get permission up front.
...Long story shorting.....I touched down in Boston, and Jason picked me up at the airport with the Gold Wing, 2 VF500s, and His running NX650 in a trailer behind his pickup. We were on the way to SMNOE (SabMag Event North of Everywhere)

Let me tell you a little about this gathering. Zim and Linda have a place on a small Lake in Maine about 50 miles NW of Bangor Maine. Every year, at least for the past 10, he's invited the V4 list members to come visit for the long LD weekend, from Thursday to Tuesday.
Zim supplies everything, and Linda cooks 3 meals a day for about 40 guest.....that includes beer, and Linda pushes Long Island Ice Tea.
The guests put a donation box up and make contributions. I've no idea how that comes out.
A highlight of the weekend is a steak and Lobster dinner on Saturday night. The other high lights are day rides to Bar Harbor and such, as well as much wrenching in Zim's 2 story large garage.
Rider's save up there projects to bring them to Zim's for this weekend to get their carbs cleaned, Valve adjusted ....or motor's swapped. It's a pretty intense weekend of bike works.
Ok, you get the picture, the 3Bs, Bike work, Bike rides, and Beer....oh, and plenty of lies around the camp fire.

So here are the players.... Photo by Zim
href="http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/87yimNuowaIQV9WHx5FGC_YwpAwPhi44CkLobQvcpMs?feat=e mbedwebsite">
From Drop Box

Jason and I were not the First to arrive there at about10:30pm. No one was up so we went straight to bed in the Garage upstairs.
Click pic to enlarge......

Other's tented

some motorhomed, and set up across the driveway....

More drove 4 wheels this year than in the past.....were getting older
This was the morning after Hurricane Earl came thru...2.5 inches of rain, not much wind.

More serious work and Partying would start tomorrow, Thurs.....and ultimately the ride back to San Diego
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Thursday at the Zim ranch

........a good night's rest brought along with it the new day. Many hugs were enjoyed by friends separated by a few years. I'd even almost died of Cancer since I'd seen these guys in Late '08. I'm cancer free now, BTW.
Linda, bless her heart, provided the first breakfasts of many to come, and soon the move to the Garage took place....ruh, ruh.
ADVer Ziggy Stardust had already arrive with his V45 V4 Sabre. Ziggy was looking for garage space as his bike had destroyed a bearing in the drive shaft line.
I suggested that he get his bike in there while there was still space. He was first in the shop. He's been trying to get the angle drive off the engine for the last several months, and had come to an unmovable object. I'd promised to help him when I got there.
Jason got second spot with his 2 VF500 'ceptors. He had a rusted out frame that needed to be replaced by a good one from the other bike. Both these bikes had been outside under tarps for a few years.....what a job.
The brown Santa, UPS, soon showed up with some new tires that needed changing. So I also got to sharpen my field tire changing skills. There was much help with the tire changing. The inexperienced got a chance to witness the struggles of bead breaking and tire spooning, and even participate if they wanted to.....that always good to know.

Ziggy's Bike wait for new Angle Drive Bearing

...and here's Ziggy and crew showing off his bad Bearing

Jason's 'ceptor project...

Tire changing and carb cleaning project Magna....

............but it's not all work....Later that night Linda got out of the kitchen long enough for some socializing, ah....that's me chatting her up. I'm trying to get an extra lobster on lobster night.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 09-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,585
this is promising
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Friday

Friday was more wrenching. The 'ceptor project progressed. More tires were change. A '98 'Cepter got moved into the garage for advanced electrical repairs.
Ziggy's angle drive was out. of course it required special Honda tools to extract the bad bearing. We managed to get it out with a big hammer. We didn't have the parts to get his Sabre back together, but the Ziggman figure that he could put it back together by himself, once he got the parts, at home.

This is Zim, himself, in the garage. He's more of a director type, and runs a tight ship. I think he's asking for another beer in this pic.
From Drop Box

It's really amazing what goes on shop wise up there. One year Jason brought six bikes up to work on. He had his Dodge Diesel on that trip and the alt on the pickup went out.....well, to get back to Mass where he lived he wired in a running ST1100 and ran his Dodge's electrics off the motorcycle.
Yep pretty amazing.

Steak and Lobster tomorrow......
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 09-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 783
Proper!

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

FWIW says....this is promising

[me] I hope to keep it interesting.

So hurricane Earl showed up Friday night, but it cleared on Saturday, and this is what it looked like in years past, from an Old Carl Custer photo. These guys all know that Sat is steak and lobster night.

From Drop Box

And another...These guys are from all over the states, and every type of bike. most of these guys have V4 heritage, but have moved on to newer bikes.
From Drop Box

The camp fire doing double duty with the lobster pot. Zim's son Jeff is boiling up the girls for dinner. Another Custer photo
From Drop Box

Linda got me tangled up with the Long Island Ice Teas after dinner. I'm going to hold that against her.
p.ratfab@gmail.com

Ratman screwed with this post 09-17-2010 at 05:30 PM
Old 09-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessert Storm
Proper!
Thanks, DS. And any orthers of you readers that want to keep this on the front page for a while....I'd appreciate a comment or 2. TIA

Maybe I can get a couple stars. Heh he
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 09-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,932
I'm in.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Gold Wing work

Some of us got up a little Later on Sunday. Bike work was wrapping up, and I had to get the Wing ready for the ride across country. I'd found time to take it on a couple local ride to the tune of 50 miles or so.

Outside of being kind of big, it seemed to run pretty well. The seat had some rips in it so I got the duck tape out and patched it up. One of the guys gave me an unused GPS mount that I installed.
A couple of the electro boys tried to get the Wings radio system going, but they said that the amp (whatever that is) seemed to be blown.....so no tunes. Of course, that would have been a first for me. I'm pretty content with my one thoughts anyway so no big loss.
Amazingly the old girl was in good operating condition. It was full of oil and even the air pump for the suspension worked as it should. All the boxes had locks and keys. It looked like the ride home would get a big thumbs up.

Sunday was spent making up lost time with friends, young and old alike. No telling if I'll ever see these guys again. That T Blum, from Past Cack/ ADV St1100 fame on the left, and Wall Street George on the right.

That's Art in the front and Ed Shea in the right Foreground. And of note is Bob Amadon, rhymes with Mastodon) in the girly pink tee shirt. Bob was our ace in the hole in Labor Days Harmony town fair 'Hammer throw' contest.

Speaking of the Hammer and Skillet throw at Harmony, Maine's Fair, Last year the Zim folks invaded the contest and took several place ribbons. The sabmag boys stormed back this year to take top honors with a 79' toss, and maybe six ribbons in all. It was a lot of fun.
Top honors Bob...

And the rest of the ribbon holders....not all our guys. Good clean fun.

Here's a picture of Jason's NX650 faking a hookup with the towns tractor pulling sled.

They had an antique Flywheel engine exhibit.... I still don't know how some of them work.

Some old tractors.........

And some antique chain saws. Some of those were bery interesting.
Click on pic for larger image...a couple times.

Tomorrow, Tueday the 7th, the fun would come to an end, and I would ride.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 09-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
rusty44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
I'm looking forward to the ride home report....Al
rusty44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
thinairflyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Keep it comin' Pete!

L D
thinairflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
Harvey Hexnut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
crossin' tha streams???

I am not sure it is safe to cross the ADV and SABMAG streams... you do remember what happened in 'Ghostbusters', right? cities fell, societies crumbled and the earth shifted on its axis when the streams were crossed.

There are some interesting groups here; the cat herders and the BWDR (bull winkle death riders, if I got it right) to name a few. Maybe a slow assimilation won't be too painful. I suppose that SABMAG- Team Cayce Jones (NEVER on time; ALWAYS with a story!) might fit the mold.

I am sorry Pete, your thread. Do continue.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
ksmdigital
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Subscribed Pete!

I'm disappointed that I couldn't make it this year!

Kevin
ksmdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Ghostbusters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Hexnut
I am not sure it is safe to cross the ADV and SABMAG streams...
Harvey, this is a story that deserves to be heard/seen by everyone who's into Motorcycles.
It a story of rider's that cross the generation gap, not to mention moto's that cross that same gap. It's also about world class hosting.
It's also about moto Mechanics and riding far from home on all kinds of bikes.
This story is about the love of motocycles.....
It's all about moto camaraderie of the finest kind.....and I'm sure there's room at ADV for a little bit of SABMAG.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 09-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
Graftyman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
Harvey, this is a story that deserves to be heard/seen by everyone who's into Motorcycles......and I'm sure there's room at ADV for a little bit of SABMAG.
Not to mention a good amount of the Sabmag guys/gals are also here :)

I had talked to Ziggy (Dave) before the event about buying the bearings before hand to leave Maine with a running bike. He would have no part of it.

I had figured I would be there to give him crap the whole weekend, but alas we know my dog problems.

SiNGMa
Graftyman is offline   Reply With Quote