Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #1
YJake OP
Roaming

Oddometer: 472
Hold onto your butts! A 1971 Honda SL100 build thread...

When I say "build" thread I really mean "restore to street/dirt riding condition" thread. I acquired this bike off of a fellow inmate recently and decided that a build thread would keep me focused on working on it and getting it in decent road/trail worthy shape. The bike runs fine and has a clean title so I'm in a fairly good position to start with.

Here is the bike when I brought it home. Just imagine the headlight mounted... it was removed for painting. I also have all of the original body work off of the bike right now, (fenders, tank, side covers, etc) what is mounted now is just there so that I can ride it while painting the OEM tins.

Low miles. Speedo and odometer work perfectly.

I lubed the chain/cables and cleaned it up nice when I got it home and took it for a ride around the block. Damn thing sure is loud and takes awhile to get up to speed

I even have the original key for the ignition/fork lock.

And so it begins...

-Jake

YJake screwed with this post 06-05-2015 at 09:32 PM
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:15 PM   #2
YJake OP
Roaming

I got the thing up to 45mph in the neighborhood and decided that the stiff/dry rotted 1971 vintage tires needed replaced before I should start actually ridding the thing on the street.

Not too bad after 44yrs

A few days later Revzilla had a set of Shinko 244 dual sport tires on my doorstep and I commenced some intense spooning... I had to go down in width 1/4" on both ends due to tire size availability but all seems well.

I destroyed the brand new front tube installing it and had to reuse the 44yr old one... but other than that things went semi-smooth and I now have fresh rubber at both ends

While I had the rear tire off I swapped the front sprocket from a 14t to a 13t for a little more pickup. Should help the little bugger pull my 230lbs.+ geared up arse off the line easier.

More to come in the way of painting.

-Jake
Old 06-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
YJake OP
Roaming

So this bike was acquired with the intention that the GF would have a bike to learn to ride on and for something for us both to ride in the woods that would be light weight and easy to throw in the back of the truck. As a result she wanted to paint the thing purple. I wanted red. Sooooo we settled on green?

Either way, it was time to start stripping paint.

Then to start priming.

The headlight bucket and side covers are fiber glass so they were hand sanded and primed. First brand of primer would not take (bubbled) so I bought one for use on fiberglass and it worked perfectly.

I haven't started on the gas tank yet, it looks like it was patched at some point and has a few small dents in it. I don't think that I want to do any body work on it since I'm not doing a factory restoration but we'll see.

-Jake
Old 06-06-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
MayerMR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Lookin' good! I just finished one myself!

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Matt
Old 06-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
YJake OP
Roaming

Nice looking example you have there!

I need a set of those "100" side cover decals. My tank has screw on tank badges but I really like those decals.

I have finished the fenders, side covers, and headlight bucket. I clear coated the fenders and they turned out very well. The clear coat did not work well on the fiberglass parts so I had to sand and repainted them

I have started on the tank too. Turns out that it has a small hole on the bottom left side where the seam is. I've patched it with JB weld and will sand it down before painting. The tank also has some rust inside but nothing too serious. Not sure if I'm going to tackle that issue or not.

Hate to postpone projects but I have to travel for work and plan to ride one of my other bikes so it's not all bad.

-Jake

YJake screwed with this post 06-20-2015 at 10:07 AM
Old 06-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
SR56
Bullfrog

Oddometer: 589
Parts

Here is a resource for parts, decals, everything you ever needed to restore the old Hondas...but they aren't cheap.

http://www.marblesmotors.com/

I talked to this guy and saw some of the bikes he restored at Barber's Vintage festival last year. They looked better than brand new!
T. E. Lawrence otherwise known as Lawrence of Arabia
SR56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:47 AM   #7
SR56
Bullfrog

Oddometer: 589
Gas tanks....here is a trick I read about that I was considering to clean the inside of the tank. You take BBs, small steel shot, or sand and partially fill the tank and put the cap on. Wrap it in a blanket, rug, or something else that will allow you to put it in your clothes dryer and keep it from banging around...might take several blankets. Turn the dryer on air and let it run for a while. Basically you have turned your dryer into a tumbler and you polish the inside of the tank.

Never tried it so I can't verify if it works or not but sounded like a good idea...in theory.
T. E. Lawrence otherwise known as Lawrence of Arabia
SR56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:21 AM   #8
MayerMR
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR56 View Post
Gas tanks....here is a trick I read about that I was considering to clean the inside of the tank. You take BBs, small steel shot, or sand and partially fill the tank and put the cap on. Wrap it in a blanket, rug, or something else that will allow you to put it in your clothes dryer and keep it from banging around...might take several blankets. Turn the dryer on air and let it run for a while. Basically you have turned your dryer into a tumbler and you polish the inside of the tank.

Never tried it so I can't verify if it works or not but sounded like a good idea...in theory.
And you better hope your wife doesn't find out...

That said, I've saved many tanks with a simpler solution; fill the tank with white vinegar and let it sit for a week or two. Keep in mind you'll need to keep and eye on it as there is a mild chem reaction so leave the lid off and wipe the grime that accumulates around the rim of the opening tank.

After a couple of days or weeks, depending on the severity of the rust, drain about half of the vinegar and put in a few handfuls of nuts and bolts and screws, replace the lid, and shake it like a morrocco and then drain and rinse. I then set it in the sun and after the inside is dry I mist it with oil to prevent flash rusting.

In bad tanks the vinegar may reveal pinholes whereby you'll have to use a tank liner to fix.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #9
YJake OP
Roaming

I may try the vinegar thing when I get back home. If it will help clean out the inside some I'll give it a shot, I just need to find a way to block off the fuel cap and petcock holes while doing this. (They are both on the second tank currently on the bike.) I've already patched one pin hole in the tank but I don't see too many spots that may result in more leaks on the interior or exterior of the tank. If so I'll have to line it.

-Jake

YJake screwed with this post 06-20-2015 at 10:08 AM
Old 06-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #10
MayerMR
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
I may try the vinegar thing when I get back home. If it will help clean out the inside some I'll give it a shot, I just need to fine a way to block off the fuel cap and petcock holes while doing this. (They are both on the second tank currently on the bike.) I've already patched one pin hole in the tank but I don't see too many spots that may result in more leaks on the interior or exterior of the tank. If so I'll have to line it.

-Jake
It'll definitely help. Get the some rubber stoppers from the "Help!" section at an auto parts store. You'll not need the lid during the soaking period, but just borrow it when you do the shake down in a week or so.

Use this tank liner, it's great and very easy. No mixing.
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Kote-Quart.../dp/B009X0JOSM

It does create pressure when you use it so when you use it make sure you use painters tape on the gas tank opening with a small vent hole. Dump it in and then twist it all around to cover the inside of the tank (it will be warm and will drip out of you vent hole when you turn it upside down to coat the top. After you have a good coating, remove the tape from the tank inlet and drain the excess into the red kote can, then set the tank with the petcock leaning up so that any runs of the coating run to the front of the tank so you don't clog up the petcock hole (you shouldn't leave too much in there anyway). Finally, let it sit for several days, in the sun when you can, and when you can't, but a fan over it to create a suction that will pull the fumes out so it dries faster. I think it has to dry COMPLETELY before you do a second coat (if you need to). It's a really great tank coat.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
YJake OP
Roaming

I'm finally back in town with the weekend off and decided it was time to clean the inside of the fuel tank out that I've stripped down. It took exactly 2 gallons of vinegar to fill and after just a few hours I can tell that it is starting to clear some of the cancer out.

While that project sits for awhile and does its thing I've began to strip off the current body work and bolt on the bits that I've painted. (Fenders, headlight bucket, side covers, and bash plate).

Look at that cute little bash plate...

More to come.

-Jake
Old 06-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #12
YJake OP
Roaming

-72 hours into the vinegar treatment and I've got 3 pin hole leaks already. None of them are dripping but have created rusty wet spots that will probably just get worse. Soooooooo I ordered the tank sealer recommended earlier in this thread and will probably try to seal the tank this weekend and patch the holes on the outside with JB Weld. (They are all on the seam under the left/right sides of the tank). I also ordered a brand new fuel cap/gasket for when it's all finished.

-The stock exhaust baffle was missing when I got the bike and speeds requiring WOT almost had my ears bleeding so I installed a stock baffle/diffuser in the exhaust. I've only started it in the garage since then but it did not cause issues with fueling in regards to starting/revving/idling and mellowed the exhaust note noticeably.

-Cleaned come connections recently and added dielectric grease to some contacts and now she starts first kick every time.

Slowly but surely...

-Jake
Old 06-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #13
YJake OP
Roaming

Here is an updated picture of the bike with all of the painted bits installed minus the tank of course. It has turned out fairly well so far I think. I have factory "100" decals in the mail to stick to the side covers. Should be here soon if not today.

The mirrors are now on it and the headlight/taillight work so I've been riding it on the street some. Instead of driving my truck or Bonnie the two miles to the trailhead to run in the mornings I have been using the little Honda. No strain on the engine/batteries of the other vehicles due to the short trip now. I just turn the key/fuel on, give it a kick, and off I go.

At almost a week soaking in vinegar the factory fuel tank's interior has cleaned up A LOT (As is apparent by the 4 pin holes now leaking rusty vinegar ). I have the liner now and am not sure whether I want to let it soak another week or seal the inside this weekend... The fuel tank is the last piece of the puzzle and I still have to paint it after the inside gets coated.

And as a side note... that front brake SUCKS! Coming to a stop on the street from 45mph takes some SERIOUS planning!

-Jake
Old 06-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #14
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post

And as a side note... that front brake SUCKS! Coming to a stop on the street from 45mph takes some SERIOUS planning!

-Jake
Have a loot at the shoe contact area. You may need to shape the shoes to help them bed in better.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #15
YJake OP
Roaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Have a loot at the shoe contact area. You may need to shape the shoes to help them bed in better.
Now that is a possibility. The PO (Yeah you SR56 ) had just put a new set of shoes on the front before I acquired the bike. I may pull the front wheel and fit the shoes and sand the drum.

Also... the petcock I had on the tank soaking in vinegar failed which means that 2 gallons of rusty vinegar leaked out onto my carpet The inside of the tank began to flash rust but to hell with it, I'm going to clean the inside out with another gallon with BBs and then acetone and line the inside of it tomorrow. Guess that was kind of a "sign" to let me know that it was done . I'll line the inside and then fill in the holes after the liner has cured.

-Jake

YJake screwed with this post 06-26-2015 at 10:38 PM