Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
Boedy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
**name change** "Scout" - 1984 Ascot VT500 build

Howdy all,

My name is Boedy and I figured I'd begin my first real buildup thread. I've built many bikes and have always wanted to make a cool thread for one, but just too damned lazy. Well, this'a time I'ma gonna give it a go!

I got this '84 Ascot (on purpose) to build a very utilitarian style of hybrid on/off road machine. It will be called der Jäger

I've always liked the Harley XR's, but have also always detested all Harley's. So, the (sort of) connection of the Ascot with flat track racing, the V twin engine, kinda light weight, pretty strong for a dirt bike attributes of this general purpose and fun little bike appealed to me. So I snatched it up and have been enjoying it for about a month now.

Thoughts on the bike: It's pretty damned slow, but it has enough to get out of the way, and it will pop a wheelie pretty easily. It's really slim, so this is good for the off road conditions I hope to dab my toes into every now and then. It handles pretty good and is really enjoyable to ride. So...I feel like I picked the right bike for a fun project.

Although my plan is to save the big tear down for the winter months, I've been steadily piddling with it here and there. So here is a pic of when I first got it. With more to come:
Attached Images

Boedy screwed with this post 07-01-2015 at 03:51 AM
Boedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Boedy OP
Adventurer

Here's another pic with what I have done to it so far:
Nice round headlight to replace that fugly square setup. I tried to also clean up the wiring, but I am feeling pretty certain that I will need to make a full wiring harness. I have never seen a messier wiring setup on a bike. Just terrible. I also replaced the big clunky square dash setup for a speedo from a Honda Rebel. Looks SOOOO much better. I had to get very creative in making the bracket for it. And finally, I added some ProTaper handlebars. This REALLY helped the bike to feel much bigger than it is. They are the ATV High bends. Now it feels less like a slow street bike and more like a fast dirt bike!
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
redprimo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
I wasn't aware that the v twin's were ever raced like the singles. It will be interesting to see where you go with this. I like the headlight and gauge, looks like how the bike should have been outfitted from the factory. I've thought that engine would've an interesting par
Platform for an old Africa twin type of build. bit of a pig weight wise so lots of room for interesting possibilities.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #4
icekube1
Middle aged git

Oddometer: 1,866
Sympathetic mods to what looks like a nice bike. The headlight looks good.

Good to see that grinders and hacksaws aren't involved.

Mike

Why stand when you can sit down..
Why sit when you can lie down..
icekube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:05 AM   #5
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,977
consider reducing the excessive rake.
good machine
Old 06-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #6
Boedy OP
Adventurer

Oh, the grinder and welder will definitely be involved, but I'm not a hack. I don't believe in just cutting away without skills or even a proper vision of what you want.

Neither the V twin nor the single Ascots were ever raced by Honda as far as I know. Both were built as off shoots of flat track racing from a marketing standpoint only. The single continues to see a lot of action from entry level racers I believe, but the V twin has much more in common with the race bike that Honda was actually successful with. Namely, it looks more like it and it is a V twin. Aside from that, there is no real connection.

However, I did meet a gentleman a couple of weeks ago that claimed to have been a very active flat track racer in the late 70's and early 80's. He claimed to have been (at least on some level) a sponsored Pro and raced a Yamaha XS. He said that even though Honda never actually raised the Ascots, he remembered the V twin Ascots being raised with great success by privateers. I myself am doubtful of this, because all I've ever read about the Ascots racing is either amateur road racing of the single, a few pics of the V twins doing the same amateur road racing, and the actual RS750 that did so well in flat track. I think he was confusing my bike with the RS750. HA!

Anywho, here's a few pictures of some of my builds:

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...78862335_o.jpg

https://scontent-atl1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...35&oe=55EA3CB7

https://scontent-atl1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...97&oe=55F97E72

Boedy screwed with this post 06-13-2015 at 10:18 AM
Old 06-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557
[QUOTE=Boedy;26991046]Oh, the grinder and welder will definitely be involved

Well, that's a shame. This particular bike looks to be in too nice of condition to cut up.
Oh well. It's your bike and you can certainly do what you like with it.
I'm just of the mindset that if you plan on cutting and modifying, why not start with something that isn't so nice?

Anyway, good luck with the build. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
Boedy OP
Adventurer

I understand that Bruce, I really do. When Brian Fuller cut up a 1969 CB750 sand cast that was in absolute MINT condition to add a mono shock and ultimately build a poor example of a modern bike- I was disgusted.

I wanted to start with a bike that was already nice because I'm just plain old tired of getting trash to start with. It is a massive undertaking on the mind, body, and wallet to bring something back from the dead. This way I can ride it all summer long, doing this and that as I go, and finish it up in the winter.

Hope you hang in there and see what I come up with.

Boedy
Old 06-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #9
Butters
Kwyjibo

Oddometer: 2,729
I keep thinking the VT500 could be the basis of a variety of builds. They're cheap, relatively light and reliable, and good looking. There's one in my local Craigslist right now for $900 .

One day when I have a bit more time I think I'll start an Ascot project. For now, I'll just follow your build.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:36 AM   #10
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boedy View Post
I understand that Bruce, I really do. When Brian Fuller cut up a 1969 CB750 sand cast that was in absolute MINT condition to add a mono shock and ultimately build a poor example of a modern bike- I was disgusted.

I wanted to start with a bike that was already nice because I'm just plain old tired of getting trash to start with. It is a massive undertaking on the mind, body, and wallet to bring something back from the dead. This way I can ride it all summer long, doing this and that as I go, and finish it up in the winter.

Hope you hang in there and see what I come up with.

Boedy
Boedy, thanks for the explanation--I totally get where you're coming from. It is better to start with something nice rather than a complete POS. Still kinda makes me cringe though.

I'll definitely be following this build.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #11
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,436
Good luck with your build. Be aware that good Ascot gas ranks are pretty much unobtainium. Side covers and tail sections are also very hard to find. If you get rid of any of that stuff there are people that'll buy it.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #12
Boedy OP
Adventurer

Yep Hughlysses, I plan on doing the responsible thing and placing all the bits and pieces on ebay. Hopefully it will give someone the parts they need as well as put a little extra cash in my pockets to help pay for the new bits and pieces. Speaking of which, check out what the oh so friendly UPS guy dropped on my doorstep

Hiedenau K60 Scouts!!!
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #13
Boedy OP
Adventurer

Tires on, new brakes, and new rear shocks. I also replaced the turn signals with smaller, smoke colored lights. Dig it. Awesome, I'm loving this build.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #14
Boedy OP
Adventurer

The rear shocks where $265 from http://chrislivengood.net/wp/

I have only rode around my neighborhood for about a mile, but they seem miles above my worn out stockers. I'm sure they aren't nearly as good as $1,000 shocks, but they are definitely better than the cheapest things that progressive has to offer, and way, way, way better than my stock ones were.

The front will get a full rebuild with Race Tech springs and Gold Valve emulators. I'm sure I will like them as much as the rears.

The tires are Heidenau K60 Scouts, so far I really like them. I went into some wet grass and climbed a mushy pines straw covered hill and from that tiny adventure they seem like exactly what I was hoping for. As far as the street, they don't seem overly loud, but I've only been up to 50mph at this point.

Also, I am officially changing the name from der Jaeger to "Scout".

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #15
Steve in OC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by boedy View Post
I feel like I picked the right bike for a fun project.
Looks neat! But why did you choose this bike to make a dual purpose bike out of? It's a street bike: shaft drive, 449 pounds wet, a big old unguarded radiator, and road-going suspension. It would take a phenomenal amount of work for it to not be a pig on the dirt.
Steve in OC is offline   Reply With Quote