User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
CharlesRC OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
My problem: Triumph Scrambler vs. Suzuki V-Strom

I don't have a bike right now, and am shopping. My problem is that I think I've fallen in love with the Triumph Scrambler. However, my practical side tells me that objectively the Suzuki V-Strom (650 or 1000) is both the far better value and a far better bike.

All prices are quoted for new bikes OTD (out the door) from ads in the the Los Angeles / Las Vegas Cycle Trader or the Cycle Trader website.

Triumph Scrambler
2006 OTD $ 7,999
2007 OTD $ 8,999
Engine: 865 cc
Transmission: 5 speed
Twin carburettors
Dry Weight: 451lbs
Fuel capacity: 4.4 gal.
Single disk brake in front.
Seat height: 32.5in
Height: 47.3in

Suzuki V-Strom 650
2007 OTD $ 6,299
Engine: 650 cc
Transmission: 6 speed
EFI
Dry Weight: 427 lbs
Fuel capacity: 5.8 gal.
Dual disk disk brake in front.
Seat height: 32.3 in
Height: 54.7 in

Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2006 OTD $ 7,899
2007 OTD $ 7,999
Engine: 1000 cc
Transmission: 6 speed
EFI
Dry Weight: 462 lbs. (CA. model)
Fuel capacity: 5.8 gal.
Dual disk disk brake in front.
Seat height: 33.1 in.
Height: 54.9 in

Other than the Scrambler being (to my eyes) the far more beautiful bike, am I missing something? Would a passenger be more comfortable on the Scrambler? Does the fact that the height of a Scrambler is 7 in. less than that of the V-Strom make it appreciably easier to handle? (I'm 6'3" and 210 lbs.)

Reading the above, I feel almost compelled to get a V-Strom. (I don't want to be a hoser who buys an over-priced, inferior bike soley because of its looks. Um, do I? )

Also, is it true that Suzuki is dropping the V-Strom for 2008? If so, what would the mean re: parts availability, service, etc.?

Also, I posted the following questions on the separate Scrambler thread and have received one helpful reply in PM, but guess it would do no harm to repost them here:

I was looking for racks for both sides of a Scrambler. Can you tell me who makes these racks, and where you got them?

I wouldn't want bags over the pipes all of the time, most of the time, or even very often. I just think it would be nice to have the capability for a long trip. So I guess the next questions are:

1) Are the racks somewhat "quick release?" I don't mind a bit of wrenching. I'd just hate to have to remove, say, the exhaust system in order to remove the racks. :)

2) Can you remove the rack on the right, pipe side, while retaining the rack on the left side? If I'm not going on a long trip, I'd like to see the pipes without the rack or the bag on the right side.

3) If you can remove the rack on the right, pipe side, while retaining the rack on the left side, can you do it "quick release?"

Not, of course, that I have a Scambler yet. I don't have a bike right now :(, and am in the process of shopping. I have to say I've fallen in love with the Scrambler, but the luggage is issue is one of my concerns.
CharlesRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,658
Well, let me be one of the first to chime in and say that you are on your own...

Seriously, you have come to the right place for reviews and so forth. In the last 18 months I have put 15K miles on an '06 BMW F650GSA and wouldn't trade it for either of the bikes you mentioned. I have ridden the scrambler (who's pipes were very well taped) and the heat off the exhaust was awful, especially in stop-n-go traffic. Lots of folks love the Strom but you might consider the Triumph Tiger, KW Versys or a F650GS, if you can find one.

Ps. Don't forget a Motorcycle Safety Course, if you haven't taken one yet.
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,177
Get what makes you smile, I tried the practical bike thing ones, it lasted about 28 hours (honda PC800, worst 2-wheeled experience of my life), I went right back to my TL1000S (fast, raw, uncomfortable, thundering twin) and smiled

I'm pretty sure suzuki won't drop the wee and most likely won't drop the vee, even if they drop both parts will still be available for many, many years to come so no worries there:)

The suzuki's are more modern bikes and probably the best dollar/utility ratio of any bike made. The Kawak Verseys is also up there and should be quite a bit more fun on the street. I tried to convince myself a wee would be the bike for me but just couldn't get excited over it. I'd love a scrambler, they are uber cool but its a bit out of my price range and not quite practical enough for me at the moment. If I were buying another street bike I'd probably go with a Versyes - really practical but still has a bit of a sporting side - that or a big sumo (which is what I really want).

Eventually I'll have a scrambler and something like a highland SM950/duc hm sorta thing and who knows what else, but I gotta finish school and get a job first.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703

BikePilot screwed with this post 10-06-2007 at 06:50 PM
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRC

Also, is it true that Suzuki is dropping the V-Strom for 2008? If so, what would the mean re: parts availability, service, etc.?

No, it's not true.

Otherwise, get what moves you.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
kluts
The Lost Tourguide

Oddometer: 592
These bikes are so different. Not like a, say, "I'm looking at a ULY vs. GS" thread.

Scrambler really is in name only. Not too many riders will do dirt on them and I suppose you aren't looking for DS (dirt-street) rides. The pipes are a concern to me. They are just something to contend with, but why contend? Why not just a bonnie. Or a Thruxton (drool).

As for the Strom it will still be a strong bike even if they discontinue. I rather think for 2008 there will be a replacement for this sort of bike, maybe it will avoid the ugly stick.

At 6-3 and 210 you are well suited to the Strom and if you decide to go pillion it is the better passenger choice. On the Scrambler you'd certainly be taking up more space which your pillion would have wished for. On the Strom she'd fall asleep in comfort if you have a backrest.
Any motorcyclist caught holding up automobiles on a winding road will be forced to sell all fringed accessories, buy plaid pants and take up golf.-- Peter Egan ... my internal dialogue was a full on harangue. The Buddhist call this dialogue “the monkey mind” well my monkey mind had a brand new tire in its cage and was whippin’ it around... -Vermin, The Grapes of Rat
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

The pipe thing is easy enough to solve and I suspect it will do as well or better off road as most any "adv" style bike (and probably quite a bit better than a strom, versy, uly etc)

Old 10-06-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
CharlesRC OP
Adventurer

Now adding Triumph Tiger, KW Versys or a F650GS to the mix. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnafrnd
Lots of folks love the Strom but you might consider the Triumph Tiger, KW Versys or a F650GS, if you can find one.
More complications.

Triumph Tiger is a bit pricey for me. I don't believe the Versys is available in California because of our tighter air-pollution laws.

I've looked seriously at the F560GS. It is in the right price range and looks like a great bike. I'm a bit leery of it being a one lunger. All of my background is street riding. Because I've recently moved to a more rural area, and like a lot of people here, I'm looking for something that will handle dirt and gravel roads, fire roads, etc., but not real off-road, trail bustng stuff. Most of my riding will still be highway and street. I'm probably going to be a 70/30 or 80/20 guy.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Any bike will do dirt and gravel roads if it needs to. I road my sport bike on some pretty bad dirt roads without issue. Its not as good at it as a bike made for such things, but it will easly go anywhere most cages will go:)

I used to be very focused on specs and performance/utility/dollar ratio and have since become decidely less so oriented. I've found that most any bike will get you whever your going, might as well ride something that turns you on and makes it the most fun

here's another stolen scrambler pic;) Its an awsome looking bike imho, makes me wish I were old enough to remember it the first time around. As it is, I'd feel slightly weird riding a retro bike that harkens back to a period long before I was alive:)

BikePilot screwed with this post 10-06-2007 at 07:12 PM
Old 10-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #9
CharlesRC OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
I suspect it [the Scrambler] will do as well or better off road as most any "adv" style bike (and probably quite a bit better than a strom, versy, uly etc)
Could you or someone else elaborate? This is the first time I've seen someone say that a Scrambler would do as well, or better, off road than a strom, versys or uly. I have to admit, the strom looks a bit high and top heavy to me....
Old 10-06-2007, 07:07 PM   #10
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,799
You've got to get the bike that lights your fire. If you don't you will always regret it. I still miss my Triumph Thunderbird Sport. I only sold it because size and powerwise it was so much like my R1150R and I couldn't rationalize having two similiar bikes. My wife told me not to sell it because even she liked it, and she doesn't ride. Get the one that sings to you.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
mudbogdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
[quote=CharlesRC]Reading the above, I feel almost compelled to get a V-Strom. (I don't want to be a hoser who buys an over-priced, inferior bike soley because of its looks. Um, do I? )
There are a whole lot of Harley riders doing exactically that. Whats wrong with that.Scrambler being a lower seat height apears to be more fit for sliding through the corners more so then the Strom.Lots of people have the Strom not to many have the Scambler.To me the Scamble looks better the Strom looks like something out of one of those 70's sifi movie bikes that ride around the desert shooting lazers.The Triumph will be harder to get after market parts.If it were me I would get the Scambler.But your talking to a Tiger owner (I might be a little bias)
mudbogdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #12
kevrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
i agree with everyone else who says get what moves you. get the bike that makes you smile when you peep into the garage to see if it's still there. you will not regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRC
Could you or someone else elaborate? This is the first time I've seen someone say that a Scrambler would do as well, or better, off road than a strom, versys or uly. I have to admit, the strom looks a bit high and top heavy to me....
you can spend a week in this thread, but at least read the first post and watch the video:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141616

fwiw, i've ridden my VFR and my Hawk on quite a few dirt and gravel roads. i don't go in search of dirt with these bikes and will not go exploring on unpaved roads. but when it's just dirt and gravel, not mud and boulders, they get me to where i'm going just fine. the Scrambler will certainly be better offroad than those two.
kevrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #13
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,935
Go for the Strom!
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:13 PM   #14
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,828
Last week you could get the scrambler for $7,200.00 with noproblem

This week, now that the '08 specs have been published, I'll bet you could haggle to $7,000.00
Old 10-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #15
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,368
Scrambler is a cool bike. Vstrom... not cool at all.

I could care less about how practical a bike is, the scrambler is cool. And it just needs a cool rider.

Did I mention the scrambler is cool.

Bikes aren't meant to be boring. Ride what makes you FEEL good. To me it would be the scrambler. I can see myself waking up at night to go to the garage to look at the scrambler.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote