User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #16
leftfield123
leftfield123

Oddometer: 28
Get The V

I've had a wee for two years now and am still looking for some reason to move up to a GS1200. So far I haven't found one. The wee is easy to ride, has tremendous versitility and bullet proof. I have a Givi top case and with it, my wife says it's the most comfortable bike she's been on. I commute each day on it and have taken it on a 2K trip and never found it wanting. So, as mentioned above, it may be the best bang for the buck on the market.
leftfield123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:21 PM   #17
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,260
I think you've already done a pretty good job of defining the ying/yang of the choice. The Scrambler is the "cool" bike and the Strom is the more practical choice. Only you can decide where you stand on the coolness vs. practicality scale. It's a little like who you marry - you want the looker or do you want someone who's nice and knows how to cook?

Is there another bike that doesn't have such strong compromises? If you've got the wallet, GS's are pretty cool and very practical. Or how about the new Tiger? Or does the Versys not look so dorky to you?

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 10-06-2007 at 10:30 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #18
mleem1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Get what your gut tells you is right.

I went with the V-Strom a couple months ago and am very happy with the bike. I have put on 5,000 miles in just about 2 1/2 months. Is it perfect? No is it close OH, Yeah! I do not think there is a PERFECT bike, just the one that fits your riding best and your body (ergo) best. I needed a more upright position due to back surgery a few years ago. Most of my riding is highway and have been averaging 50+ mpg. Go with your gut and what your pocketbook can afford.
mleem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #19
kars
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Scrambler

Follow your heart. Bikes are a passion. I am a very practical person and for most things in life follow function over form but not with bikes. It's not about "cool" for me. The wee is certainly a good bike but lacking character. The scrambler is not a bad bike by any means. I own a Triumph twin. It is a modern motor, a good bike and after 20k in two years has proven to be bulletproof. An easy to ride bike that is easy to maintain and inspires passion. If you truly want to be practical about your bike purchase go for the wee but it sounds to me like you already have passion for the Trumpet.
kars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:44 AM   #20
Cupid Stunt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Yep, what most of these peeps said
Biking is emotive, you have to go with what makes you grin
Personally I'd go for the Triumph absolutely no question, you'll get admiration from all other bikers as well as cagers, Hell even Harley riders have respect for a Triumph, also I bet it'd be easier off-raod than a Strom due to it being lower down in the tank and seat yet still has good ground clearance
You could ride along imagining yourself as Steve McQueen jumping over that prison fence to escape to freedom

Oh bollicks, now I want one

Just get the damned Triumph and stop thinking of practicalities (not that there's ANYTHING impractical about the Scrambler)
Cupid Stunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:55 AM   #21
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,598
what sort of riding do you plan to do?

is there a missus in this messus?
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:01 AM   #22
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRC
Could you or someone else elaborate? This is the first time I've seen someone say that a Scrambler would do as well, or better, off road than a strom, versys or uly. I have to admit, the strom looks a bit high and top heavy to me....
As compared to the Wee, the scrambler is thinner, shorter and more manuverable off road. Though I have't tested the theory, I'd be willing to bet that given an equal rider a scrambler would make it further down a trail than a strom, versys or uly. As was said, a scrambler, or most any street bike for that matter will do dirt and gravel roads just fine, if you look at the second pic I posted, the bike has knobby tires and a fair bit of ground clearance - no reason it couldn't take on some pretty bad dirt roads:)

If you want something that looks sorta like a scrambler but isn't a used Kawasaki W650 may fit the bill - its less off road styled, but will still be fine for dirt and gravel roads.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:50 AM   #23
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,734
This thread points out that you have to ride them! If you do enough a rational analysis, you would buy no motorcycle - it's recreation, so go find something that will help you re-create!

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:56 AM   #24
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,603
Well you've got yourself a complicated decision... The Versys isn't available in CA, so that's out. The Scrambler is a very nice ride and if you ride ATGATT, the heat may be a non-issue. I would imagine the Scambler would match (exceed) the Strom on nearly all roads. The F650GS will likely seem small to you, unless you find a Dakar Version.

Believe it or not, I bought my F650GSA for it's practicality. I have a bike with a terrific engine, can cruise at 80mph, all day long, with plenty of power to pass and ABS. Curves are a thrill and commuting is a piece of cake. Fire roads, 4-wheeler trails, sand, no problem... I get 60mpg and last but not least... I have the tremendous resource of the Chain Gang www.F650.com. Good Luck...

NateLePain screwed with this post 10-07-2007 at 07:02 AM
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:58 AM   #25
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,866
I absolutely love my Scrambler and have taken it on all kinds of roads from two track to a 3,000 mile road trip this summer. It lloks good, feels good, and has enough power to haul my immense weight and gear with no problem.

Still, you have a difficult choice, as you need to find the bike that is right for YOU. One of the things to consider is dealer/customer support. How does each dealer treat you? Also, what kind of riding are you gonna be doing? If it is mostly local with a lot of gravel, the Scrambler prolly would be coolest. If you are doing trips prolly the Stroms would be better.

After writing all this all I can say is what the others have suggested - go with whatever makes you smile!

PS: If you get the Scrambler, outfit it with Tourances - makes the bike really handle and ride well.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #26
SHOREBILL
Some Guy

Oddometer: 324
A few thoughts. And some perspective.

I got into this thing for purely practical reasons some 20 years ago - I could afford car insurace or school, but I could afford bike insurance and school. In short order, I figured out the joy of two wheels; however I have always used a bike primarilly for commuting and occational joy rides.

Now what I have noticed is a lot of people buy bikes based on dreams/asperations/all those not real practical applications. The chopper acountant/Hells Angle's guys aren't that much different than the Dakar wannabees on their Adventure Bikes parked in front of Starbucks on Sunday morning. It is the possibility of adventure more than the actual adventure that is appealing.

In that light, one can glance through the classifieds and see multiple bikes that weren't practical enough to be useable and are for sale with little or no mileage on them.

Now with the Strom, it is is practical - stone axe reliable, good weather protection, fuel injection, great lights, large fuel tank and inexpensive. Downsides - tall, fairly top heavy, and looks that just don't appeal to some. Many do use it as a sport tourer/adventurer/ offroader and does each passably well to a point. It is the 21st century UJM - one that can do it all.

The Scrambler is last century's UJM with all the charm that Triumph can ram into one two-wheel project. And from all reports, dead reliable. It does lack weather protection, but so did almost all UJMs. Fuel injection would be nice, but carbs have worked serviceably for years. But it is close to the the perfect refinement of last century's UJM.

All that being said I owned a whole series of last century's UJMs, currently own a Wee Strom, and am more than casually interested in the Scrambler.
SHOREBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:10 AM   #27
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRC
I don't want to be a hoser who buys an over-priced, inferior bike soley because of its looks.

Which BMW are you considering?

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:21 AM   #28
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOREBILL
A few thoughts. And some perspective.

I got into this thing for purely practical reasons some 20 years ago - I could afford car insurace or school, but I could afford bike insurance and school. In short order, I figured out the joy of two wheels; however I have always used a bike primarilly for commuting and occational joy rides.

Now what I have noticed is a lot of people buy bikes based on dreams/asperations/all those not real practical applications. The chopper acountant/Hells Angle's guys aren't that much different than the Dakar wannabees on their Adventure Bikes parked in front of Starbucks on Sunday morning. It is the possibility of adventure more than the actual adventure that is appealing.//
Great post!

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:00 AM   #29
D-Mac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
I've got these 2 bikes on my short-list too. I LOVE the style of the scrambler (if you haven't seen the green one yet, you MUST check it out!!! ), but I want the functionality of the Wee. Scrambler also has soon cool accessories that really make it stand out.

I'll probably go with the Wee - makes more sense for me at this point in my life (poor, lots of years of work left, kids).

Cheers, D-Mac
D-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #30
koncha

Oddometer: 10,040
If you want practical, get a used Honda Civic.

Motorcycles never really fit into the practical part of the brain. Its a battle between degrees of impractical. You might was well get the one that moves you.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote