Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2007, 10:42 AM   #31
SHOREBILL
Some Guy

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha
If you want practical, get a used Honda Civic.

Motorcycles never really fit into the practical part of the brain. Its a battle between degrees of impractical. You might was well get the one that moves you.
Nicely put.

Ah perhaps you do have something there. Because I have lived in areas where commuting year round is plauseable and that I am fairly gentle with the throttle, between insurance, gas mileage and reduced parking fees they have been as practical as something this fun can be. Civic good? Probably not if you worked out all of the dollars and cents

To reiterate (sp?), I would say that it takes time to figure out what truely does move you for the long haul versus sitting in the motorcycle store making vroom-vroom noises (something I am prone to doing on a weekly basis, the current fave for this activity being a Kawi 10R in screamming mi-mi yellow).
SHOREBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #32
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
One other thing on the practical side that hasn't been mentioned: The Strom has tubeless tires; the Scrambler tubed.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #33
dropster
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Too much chrome

I love the Scrambler looks but it has too much chrome to own. I have the wee and have stopped worrying about the washing and just ride. Every bike is ugly with a top box anyway but the top box is too useful not to have. I just added some highway bars - they are ugly too. When you are at 7000rpm in some twisties, it's fun, fun, fun.
dropster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #34
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropster
I love the Scrambler looks but it has too much chrome to own. I have the wee and have stopped worrying about the washing and just ride.
Ooops. Guess I missed the washing requirement memo...

Mudhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #35
daveth
2 wheel jones

Oddometer: 18
I'm 6'3 and I test rode a scrambler. I found the riding position horrible. I had a leg cramp after riding it for 20 minutes. There is no leg room and if you lower the pegs you'll be scraping them all the time.

I liked the leg room on the Tiger better but it's like climbing a hill to get my leg over the saddle.

The Wee Vee is just right, comfy and it has a windshield to boot!

Get the Wee Vee!!
daveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #36
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveth
I'm 6'3 and I test rode a scrambler. I found the riding position horrible. I had a leg cramp after riding it for 20 minutes. There is no leg room and if you lower the pegs you'll be scraping them all the time.

I liked the leg room on the Tiger better but it's like climbing a hill to get my leg over the saddle.

The Wee Vee is just right, comfy and it has a windshield to boot!

Get the Wee Vee!!
Yeah, in a lot of these "what bike for me?" threads rider height/inseam isn't mentioned, and it makes a huge difference. The Scrambler works perfectly for me, as I am 5'10'' with 29'' inseam, but as you indicated a tall rider would hate it.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #37
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
My wife has a new Bonnie - not scrambler but with a good bash plate. It does well on fire roads, light dirt. I enormously prefer it to the boring Wee with it's exposed front exhaust pipe which looks to me like an extremely vulnerable part for a bike intended on fire road use. IIRC, Rider mag bashed its Wee's pipe during a test.

The Bonnie is very pleasing to ride, looks good and overall is really a lot better than I expected. Mostly it's not an appliance like the Wee whose owners boast is 'adequate'.

But it really comes down to the one which stirs you, not me.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #38
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
///
The Bonnie is very pleasing to ride, looks good and overall is really a lot better than I expected. Mostly it's not an appliance like the Wee whose owners boast is 'adequate'. ///
Some other owners boast that the "appliance" is "The most astonishingly competent motorcycle in the world today."

If that appliance-like reliability and durability bothers you, and the fact that someone bashed the exhaust, well, as you say, "it really comes down to the one which stirs you, not me." I like Bonnevilles in the same way I like Mazda Miatas. Haven't ridden a new one but I enjoyed riding the originals.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 10-09-2007 at 05:40 PM
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #39
windloco
professional wus

Oddometer: 16
I know folk who ride scramblers offroad (gravel really) in NZ, part of the buzz is doing the adventure riding the way it originally started, engelfield/triumph type bike, a little less than appropriate but more fun than anything.

The new scramblers have improved a lot from what they were in the old days but the same concept applies here. I must admite, they look very cool and guys go at a pretty good pace but that's more the rider than the bike. Would I have one? No, I rather stick to something less evocative but more practical; however, I can see whay people buy them.
windloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #40
CharlesRC OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Height Issue: I'm also 6'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveth
Anyone else have any ideas re: the height issue? I'm 6'3" and 210 lbs.

Also, someone else mentioned that he was 6'3" and for him the heat shield was placed too far back, not providing coverage.

And I know a lot of this will be resolved by test rides, but perhaps not all. For example, I might not cramp up after 20 minutes, but might after 40 -- longer than a test right.

I recently had the experience of driving a friend's car. Fine for the first 30 minutes with the seat all of the way back. But after that... the pain! Yikes. And there was nothing I could do but stop and walk it off. Unfortunately, frequently.
CharlesRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #41
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
The pipe thing is easy enough to solve and I suspect it will do as well or better off road as most any "adv" style bike (and probably quite a bit better than a strom, versy, uly etc)
Do you know what one of these things weighs? A lot! neither it nor a strom is a good off road bike, At least a 1000 strom hauls ass in a straight line.
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:54 AM   #42
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Do you know what one of these things weighs? A lot! neither it nor a strom is a good off road bike, At least a 1000 strom hauls ass in a straight line.
The Scrambler is no slouch in a straight line, either. It may not compare to one of those things in the twisties, but it's fast enough to be fun [for me].

On my commute (130 miles of slab roundtrip), running the stock front sprocket, I can cruise at 85mph and it just lumps along with no complaints. I've never owned a naked bike before, but the smooth air impresses the shite outta me. I can use my Arai XD again, it's so smooth. Didn't do that on my Tiger or GS due to the buffeting.

And it's a great off road bike [for the trails I've taken it on]. I'd bet the majority of people could take it a lot more places off road than they could take a GS/Tiger/Strom...those bikes are so tall they make trail riding a lot more difficult than it needs to be (I'm just learning this as I get more seat time on the Scrambler). Probably depends on the trail, though...but the harder the trail, the more I'd rather have my Scrambler than my Tiger or definitely any of the GSs I've owned. Although, the original poster is 6'3", so him on a tall bike may be the same as me on the Scrambler. And at 5'10", even I'll be looking for some highway pegs for it real soon...

(did I get enough disclaimers in there? for me, for the trails I've taken it on, etc...)
Mudhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:32 AM   #43
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRC
Highway pegs.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #44
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRC

Also, someone else mentioned that he was 6'3" and for him the heat shield was placed too far back, not providing coverage.

And I know a lot of this will be resolved by test rides, but perhaps not all. For example, I might not cramp up after 20 minutes, but might after 40 -- longer than a test right.

I recently had the experience of driving a friend's car. Fine for the first 30 minutes with the seat all of the way back. But after that... the pain! Yikes. And there was nothing I could do but stop and walk it off. Unfortunately, frequently.
For the V-Strom, I bought the Suzuki Tall Touring saddle, which is higher still than the DL1000 seat. I bought it for $190 delivered, and sold the stock seat to a local guy here for $75. It reased the seat height 1.5".
Attached Images

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:50 AM   #45
motorat
TBD

Oddometer: 900
i have a scrambler and it is a really nice ride. if you like to talk to talk to people then get the scrambler. you have to think of it as an old school mx.
joe
motorat is online now   Reply With Quote