Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2007, 12:54 AM   #46
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Low C of G, good practical go "most places bike", and retro cool.
Scrambler for me.
Mine is a pack horse. Specced up to suit its roll. Not a thouroughbred, or show pony.
Try both, then get the Trumpy.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2007, 12:56 AM   #47
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Also can hang out with some pretty respectable Adv bikes, and not embaress itself.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #48
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
what sort of riding do you plan to do?
Salient query.

So many passionate purchases in the Used Bike column because no matter how high the cool factor, they don't fit the job.

Personally, I would never buy a bike without FI (because I still remember the others I owned).

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 AM   #49
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi
Salient query.

So many passionate purchases in the Used Bike column because no matter how high the cool factor, they don't fit the job.

Personally, I would never buy a bike without FI (because I still remember the others I owned).
If he gets an '08, that's supposedly what he'll get.

Personally, I prefer carbs so glad I got an '06.
Mudhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:20 AM   #50
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen
Personally, I prefer carbs so glad I got an '06.

Ditto. My Scrambler has run flawlessly from sea level to 10,000+ feet elevation, and from freezing to 105 degree air temps.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #51
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi

Really? Have you had bad experiences with well carbed bikes? Just asking, as FI is a total put off for me on any off road vechile.
I know they are more reliable now, but when they shit themselves, thats it, your going nowhere.
I've ridden carbed Enfields to 18500ft,(Kadung Lah), and are a pleasure at that height. Simple reliable technology suits me.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #52
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
I'm sold on FI. I've never had an issue despite all the theory that they are complex. In a way, they're simpler.

I can ride from my elevation of 1.500 m to sea level to 3.000 m & the FI bike runs perfectly without jets or other nonsense like float bowls, or needles or whatnots.

I'm now well over 160.000 km on FI bikes w/o a single issue.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #53
Base Camp
I gotta buy a vowel

Oddometer: 27
You can't go wrong with the V-Strom. I've been on the GS1200 ( nice bike but expensive), The DL1000 is great.... but doesn't handle like the 650. I was sold on the DL650... wonderful ride... handles well, lots of throttle if you need it. Check out Carabo Luggage for sidecases and Pirate's Lair for an after market backrest that looks factory.
Base Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #54
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
I'm sold on FI. I've never had an issue despite all the theory that they are complex. In a way, they're simpler.

I can ride from my elevation of 1.500 m to sea level to 3.000 m & the FI bike runs perfectly without jets or other nonsense like float bowls, or needles or whatnots.

I'm now well over 160.000 km on FI bikes w/o a single issue.
Interesting. At present I have two more clients bikes with overfueling problems. 1 x 95 Honda Blackbird, 1 x Kawasaki 636. Both supplying excessive fuel, and washing oil off the cylinder walls. (very expensive repair if left unchecked). I guess I'm just old fashioned. (Still enjoy setting up points, mechanical advancers etc). Nothing like a Maico with the timing out by a couple of degrees. (Ankle cast anyone?).
Old 10-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #55
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Well, shut my mouth. My Strom with FI did have overfueling issues. Owell. I made a liar out of myself. --sigh--
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:20 AM   #56
Wambo
On the road to nowhere

Oddometer: 276
I know that with good carbs vs good FI, there are plusses and minuses with both. I like the simplicity of the carbs and that they seem for the most part very smooth compared to many FI's. If the FI's are set up properly, then the pluses for them usually is good power regardless of altitude and better fuel economy. I think depending on the bike and how it's being used would decide which is better.

Now for my main question:

I've been following threads on the Scrambler and having ridden two different ones, I like the feel of it (for lack of a better way to put it). I've owned a '04 V-Strom DL650 that I put 24,000 miles on before selling and currently own a '06 Thruxton. I thought the V-Strom was a great commuter and all around bike but bland. I don't say this to imply that it isn't a good bike because that couldn't be further from the truth. It just didn't inspire passion in me. The Thruxton reminds me of the Triumph's and BSA's I remember growing up. It is the bridge to the past without the electrical problems or worries about leaking oil. Somehow, even though the Scrambler isn't as quick as my Thruxton I find it a great bike to ride-Even more so than my Thruxton in some ways. What I'm leading up to is this: I've owned the V-Strom and while it is good it wouldn't be my choice for mild to medium off-road work do to it's top heaviness. I've ridden a couple of R1200GS's which are great bikes but massive in my mind for the occational trail and gravel road. I feel more in control with the Scrambler so my question is this:

For those that have done some off-road with the R1150-1200GS and/or V-Strom, and have tried the Scrambler in similar conditions, what do you think? Can the Scrambler keep up with the others?

Thanks!

Bob
Wambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:45 AM   #57
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambo
For those that have done some off-road with the R1150-1200GS and/or V-Strom, and have tried the Scrambler in similar conditions, what do you think? Can the Scrambler keep up with the others?
I think with these bikes in tough conditions, it's really a matter of keeping the shiny side pointing up, not making speed. You just beat any of these bikes to death if you start taking lumpy terrain at real speed.

I think you'd be splitting hairs to draw meaningful differences. They all have similar weight, suspension travel, tire choices, ground clearance, etc. If you're talking about the small Strom, it's got a small weight advantage, but it isn't significant, except vs. the 1150 GS.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:33 AM   #58
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambo

Thanks!

Bob
Depends on the terrain, I'd say, and how good of a rider you are.

I've done a lot of off roading on an 1150GS Adv and a '96 Tiger, and for fast, bumpy dirt, I'd have to say give me the Tiger (at least if the Scrambler has stock suspension). But for trails with roots, rocks, mudholes? Give me the Scrambler. No question.

Just don't ever give me a GS...please...
Mudhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #59
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
originally posted by Wambo

Mate , this is a can of worms. I ride with a gs1200 & a v-strom & see them off simply because I push harder than they do. I ride more regulrly with a guy who has a very similar riding pace to me. when he rides
The 990 Adventure I can keep pace at normal speeds no probs, If he really ups the pace I cant hold him but as he says at that speed the riding is no longer fun & he is going bloody quick.
On his KLR 650 he goes just as fast as on the 990 on dirt roads but loses out on the seal to the scrambler above 120kph
On his 525EXC he is just gone, no way I can hold him offroad but it is a narrow focused uncomfortable beast that is left in the shed if we are out riding for more than an hour or two
To sum up , the scrambler will keep up a good pace , will it match the 990 etc , no, but I dont want to go that fast so for me it was all a bit academic My favourite bike was a Norton 850 Interstate [favourite not best ] the flat earth luddite in me likes the way the scrambler does things
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #60
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,714
Thumb

Some of you folks need serious help!!! The triumph is UGLY and the suspension sucks compared to Strom. Knobby tires does not make an adventure bike. I own a Strom and have several friends that have owneED Triumphs...two currently drive the Wee Strom... infact one just got back from a 6,000 trip to the west coast...we drive off road frequently....I prefer Metzler Tourances, he runs the Scorpions...we run single track game trails and cow paths with no problems as long as there is not a clearance issue. I have 27,000 miles on my 05 and he has 34,000 on his 06 Strom...only thing needed was chain and tires......I previously rode the Tiger and it was an alright bike but I will not trade my Strom.....
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote