Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2007, 08:36 AM   #76
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen
You're going to stop posting pics of the bike with those racks on...

That, or start building and selling them!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #77
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,063
Been getting many emails about them too, I thought this would help stop'em. There is no way I'm gonna build folks racks... thats a mugs game

I promise Thats the last time I'll post pics of em!
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:46 AM   #78
EnglishNick
n00b

Oddometer: 1
It boils down to a simple question.......Heart or Head? The trumper's got soul, bags of it in fact. Ride it and you may never sleep alone again. But the Strom is a little more economical, comfortable, techy etc. I've ridden both and am buying a scrambler. But I'd understand anyone riding a Strom, they're a smooth ride.But just look at the Trumper, look at it....
EnglishNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 AM   #79
echo15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
I still have a '77 bonnie and it is very dirt worthy (well dirt & gravel roads), though I wouldn't try to make Dakar on it.

The design came from a day when a bike had to perform in every circumstance...not the total specialization like today. You would buy a bike, and if you wanted to do trials you changed gearing and redirected pipes....same deal for enduro.

So I wouldn't worry too much about that.
echo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #80
d2wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
I would go for the Triumph. The V-strom is too big and too top heavy for serious off road anyway. Having tried both the Triumph is easier to handle
and way more exiting, which is why we like them better than cars. I thought I would like the Vstrom, Versys and KLR. but they were all awkward to me. But then my best buddy had a '67 scrambler. My Norton was way faster but I always loved the looks and graceful handling of the trumpet.
d2wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #81
ElusivePedro
Layin' Low

Oddometer: 2,568
I love the retro-Scrambled Trumpet 900!

But I bought a DL1000.

If I wanted a liter-bike that did not have the balls of a liter-bike, then the beautiful Triumph Scrambler would be what I would have gotten.

The thing that turned me off was... when they blackened the engine in 07. And since everyone is hooked on the retro looks - I think that that "update" really squashed the Scrambler appeal for me.

Not to mention that its "trusty-dusty" 900cc mill - power wise - is pretty parallel to the little Wee's power output. Also - you are looking at a pretty anachronistic suspension (but of course it can be improved - somewhat - if you like bikes that are not mono-shock).

Do I want a 9-freakin hundred that has the juice of a 650?

Do I want frame/seat/handlebar ergos that makes my 72" long, 33" inseam, 200# body get leg cramps?

Do I want a manual choke and carbs?

(pre-PS - I did not say "need")

I think not.

Hey man, if it's all about cashe' and getting cred with the HD crowd - get the Triumph. I like 'em a LOT - simply for their looks.

If you want power for about the same bread... do what I did (yes the dealers deal on the less-popular big V), - get a DL1000, along with some off the hook cans, and a Power Commander (and a coupla other real easy tweaks).

(I can't wait till one of those Scramblers gets beside me on the street and the rider of it is feeling their oats.)

I also think that the wee, the vee, and the scrambler all suck when it comes to dirt, with my Vee being the crappiest. Hey - its an opinion with nothing to base it on --- so suck it up.

With my new CalSci shield, madstad bracket, HUGE POWERFUL HEADLIGHTS, and engine upgrades, this thing is just plain old kooky and I think that the looks are OK. At first I didn't really like the styling of my bike - but over the last few weeks it has slowly started to make me smile. The paint is first rate with a nice metal flake and my new (old-stock) '06 silver and black is just mature enough to be presentable without being flamboyant. The build-quality is top notch. There are WAY more accessories available than I care to blow my money on.

There are many salient points in this flow though.

The Scrambler is more narrow and low.
It is more "old school".
For those of y'all that like carbs - check.
And it DOES have that "Triumph Sound" and "Look".

Bottom line?

Buy the Scrambler!

ps - though the wee and the scramb are "better suited" for "off road" I would be willing to stick it out there and say this - check back with me in a few months - after I have new knobs on her. If we aint Trial Bikin' - I think that the 900 vs the 1000 would be a wash (ability wise).
"Betty" - '85 BMW R80 Monolever
"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix
ElusivePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #82
jawmail
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
The DL is cool, fast ,etc., heck I own own (plate = JAW5) but the Scrambler looks much cooler. Duh!

All I can tell you is when I go riding with my buddy (and his damn '01 Bonnie America) no one and I mean NO ONE says they used to own one in '70 and they wish they never sold it.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #83
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Court
(I can't wait till one of those Scramblers gets beside me on the street and the rider of it is feeling their oats.)

You're so cool....I want to be like you!

Ooops...edit:

Mudhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #84
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 8,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen

You're so cool....I want to be like you!

Ooops...edit:

I can't help but chuckle at PC's post. "Feeling their oats....." - that's funny stuff right there.....
Old 01-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #85
mudgepondexpress
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Wish I had the cash to ride both! I don't really like the retro look of the triumph but that is just me. I don't think the 650 V is a bad looking bike. Heck I ride a 85 GS550E that could probably do as much dirt duty as either bike if I really wanted, but for that I use the DT's.

I have no dog in this fight, but I would love to purchase a DL650 for the wife (yeah, that is what I will tell her!).

Kenny
mudgepondexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #86
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Mudhen me ol china, you have missed your calling.
Comedy is your true calling.

Scramblers are shit, junk, wouldn't take one if you paid me, can't go anywhere off the seal, blah blah blah.............
Old 01-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #87
ElusivePedro
Layin' Low

Oddometer: 2,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri boy
...Scramblers are shit, junk, wouldn't take one if you paid me, can't go anywhere off the seal, blah blah blah.............
Hey now - I never said that. Hmmm - looks like I may have touched a nerve out there in Trumpet Land.

It's just that so much of this thread is all about esoteric BS. Follow your heart, do what makes you feel good, bla bla... Whatever. If that is what guides people to their 8 or 10 thousand dollar purchases - well then that's great!

I wasn't being facetious when I said that I liked the Scrambler - I do - a lot. But the man asked about opinions about the two bikes and I, like many others (obviously) have mine - and I shared it.

If you like carbs, chrome, and some good old fashioned engineering - well then life is good!

Plus, the thing that really sucks (for me) is that I am just too butt ugly to ride a bike that damn pretty.
"Betty" - '85 BMW R80 Monolever
"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix
ElusivePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #88
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
if i dont get a SCRAMBLER in this life.........in my next one i want to have one in OZ at one of those outback beer shacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #89
HamoAus
Springfield Lakes

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by zokalr13
if i dont get a SCRAMBLER in this life.........in my next one i want to have one in OZ at one of those outback beer shacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just come and do it in this life.
HamoAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #90
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Court
Plus, the thing that really sucks (for me) is that I am just too butt ugly to ride a bike that damn pretty.
Gotta admire honesty. I came -><- that close to getting a Scrambler. Their real plus over the usual crop of ADV bikes is it is much easier and less intimidating to handle due to the moderate seat height. The big drawback is the lack of a lot of luggage options. Power wise, they might be a bit underspecced, but they get out of their own way.

I ended up with a Tiger for travel, a Bonnie for kicking around town, and a Speed Triple for getting arrested. Still love the scrambler though.

Geof