Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #91
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Or you could just get one of each if the decision is too hard to make !

Just kidding - Mine is the Wee and the Triumph Scrambler belongs to my buddy 'Mud Lightspeed' (nice enough to give the Wee a place to sleep and a garage buddy for the snowy season)

:)

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU

Coho911 screwed with this post 01-19-2008 at 11:00 AM
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #92
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,881
For me the scrambler was sooo close
But triumph just screwed up by not working to make it just a little bit better.
First fer dogs sake put ally wheels on it not those steel ones
that would lighten it up tons
Then run a brake caliper that's above the swingarm not below it.

Then scrape around 100 pounds of junk off the bike and your getting closer to where it really should be.

I've got a DL650 great bike totally worth the money
But I really have more passion for my espresso machine then I do that motorcycle. I've never once gone out to the garage to have a look at the DL
Where I've done that many times with some other bikes out there.

both of these bikes are passion purchases your getting them because
they are adult toys.
Get which bike makes YOU smile the biggest for the longest.

(Of and by they there's some rumors floating around the the bonnie's are made in Thailand not GB if that matters)
Old 02-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #93
boze_man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen
Ooops. Guess I missed the washing requirement memo...

very sweet ride...
boze_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #94
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Court
Do I want a 9-freakin hundred that has the juice of a 650?
You've got some good points but if it's sheer power we're talking there're a ton of bikes that'll spank the Wee for the money.

I dig both of them in their own way but the Scrambler ticks (some of) the right boxes. Easy riding in the city. It's low enough to it easy to handle off-road (and make up for the lack of the dirtworthiness) and it has a nice wide flat seat for comfortably (and slowly) riding two-up.

The Wee seems comfortable, capable, and exactly what I'd want if I had a 25-mile commute each morning on the highway. Without having ridden it is seems like it'd be a handful off-road and not as accessible for a toodle around town. Low-speed FI still can't match a carb in my experience.

Finally the trumpet is just badass. Yeah I know it's a re-hash, and not the real deal, but it's close enough to fool my eyeballs and make me smile.

Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #95
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck
You've got some good points but if it's sheer power we're talking there're a ton of bikes that'll spank the Wee for the money.

I dig both of them in their own way but the Scrambler ticks (some of) the right boxes. Easy riding in the city. It's low enough to it easy to handle off-road (and make up for the lack of the dirtworthiness) and it has a nice wide flat seat for comfortably (and slowly) riding two-up.

The Wee seems comfortable, capable, and exactly what I'd want if I had a 25-mile commute each morning on the highway. Without having ridden it is seems like it'd be a handful off-road and not as accessible for a toodle around town. Low-speed FI still can't match a carb in my experience.

Finally the trumpet is just badass. Yeah I know it's a re-hash, and not the real deal, but it's close enough to fool my eyeballs and make me smile.

Jeff

Very well put!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #96
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,353
Scrambler
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #97
T KILL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Thumb Interesting thread

I have also been trying to decide between the futuristic DL and the retro scrambler, but now I think the Triumph would bring me more pleasure. I had heard they were slow, but I recently read a test report where they said the scrambler ran a 13.4 quarter, did 2nd gear wheelies, and would hit almost 110 mph. A DL1000 is over a second quicker...maybe a second and a half...and it's top speed is quite a bit faster too...but I'm not looking for a racer, and if I was, I wouldn't be looking at a V Strom. The Suzuki is likely a more comfy 2-up tourer, but I don't really care about that...and neither are serious trail bikes...it's a tough call, and it would be nice to have both, but I reckon my mind is pretty much made up. Now I just have to sell my 1rst yr Softail, and maybe even my super trusty 2000 KLR650, to make it happen.
T KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #98
Mulewright
Old Fart/Journeyman

Oddometer: 125
[font="arial i have a 1k 'strom... And had a 650, (no balls...)
they are both wonderful 2 wheeled transportation appliances.
However.... I want a scrambler....
If i did more than my 10% off road i'd get another klr & spend some bucks on the suspension.
I kept the 'strom & bought a 4wd tacoma to park in the driveway when it rains or i need to haul stuff.
I do 25k/yr on the bike & less than 5k/yr in the truck....
" what "moves" you?????"
go with the "gut" and let me know in a decade or so......
just my opinion & worth everu penny you paid for it..."][/font]
Old 06-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #99
NONAME13
NONAME13

Oddometer: 181
Thumb Scram strom

The Vstrom is the better bike its better than alot of bikes . I own a 06 scram love it its great off road sounds good and is great to look at every day your not riding.I sold a perfectly wicked 08 vstrom it had abs, comfortable seat for two great fuel range , real headlight ,sweet engine and its fast. Selling my strom and buying back my scram that I sold to a friend was a crazy thing to do. I needed that bike bad cant be without it love my scram but just remember the build quality is kind of crap with sucky suspension a head light that's built like a cheap Christmas decoration cheap wheels and limited options for luggage. It you get the grey engine the clear coat peels and pits too. A few mods will make a scrambler a keeper but the vstrom is the best bang for the buck and just plain rules. Try the scrambler it's hard to resist its a keeper.
NONAME13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #100
T KILL
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONAME13 View Post
The Vstrom is the better bike its better than alot of bikes . I own a 06 scram love it its great off road sounds good and is great to look at every day your not riding.I sold a perfectly wicked 08 vstrom it had abs, comfortable seat for two great fuel range , real headlight ,sweet engine and its fast. Selling my strom and buying back my scram that I sold to a friend was a crazy thing to do. I needed that bike bad cant be without it love my scram but just remember the build quality is kind of crap with sucky suspension a head light that's built like a cheap Christmas decoration cheap wheels and limited options for luggage. It you get the grey engine the clear coat peels and pits too. A few mods will make a scrambler a keeper but the vstrom is the best bang for the buck and just plain rules. Try the scrambler it's hard to resist its a keeper.
I have heard about how good the DL1000 is...smooth, super dependable and quite a bit lighter than most bikes in it's class. Still, 99% of the people that I've heard comment on the looks say it looks like it fell out of an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. All the big advenure bikes are that way... I know it shouldn't matter, but...anyway, as competent as they are on the road, they are too heavy for trail riding, as is my KLR650, unless you are riding with other overweight pigs. The scrambler can go off road also, but it too is very limited...but that long, flat seat, lack of fairing,etc, makes it something I wouldn't be embarrased to be seen on, and a bike's shortcomings are easier to deal with if it's a cool bike.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #101
T KILL
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern View Post
Yeah, in a lot of these "what bike for me?" threads rider height/inseam isn't mentioned, and it makes a huge difference. The Scrambler works perfectly for me, as I am 5'10'' with 29'' inseam, but as you indicated a tall rider would hate it.
See, I'm tall and all the scrambler seems to need is a little more padding (maybe a seatsconcepts seat) and the bar rotated forward, or maybe a new bar. It's like a car...some small cars are roomy, and some big cars are cramped...that super-long seat on the scrambler is great for tall guys...the bike is almost perfect, and one will likely be replacing my 1984 Softail & 2000 KLR650 in the near future.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #102
T KILL
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
The pipe thing is easy enough to solve and I suspect it will do as well or better off road as most any "adv" style bike (and probably quite a bit better than a strom, versy, uly etc)
Yep http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZNQkEPcm3cScramblers can do dirt. but this guy is a 24 yr old, 6'1" 175 lb pro racer. YRMV. Also, the number plates under soft bags, with a luggage rack and small windshield would make one about as good as a DL for touring.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #103
pike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Awesome video. Test rode a scrambler today and loved it. My VFR will probably be for sale
pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #104
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by pike View Post
Awesome video. Test rode a scrambler today and loved it. My VFR will probably be for sale
I'd guess that Lewis could ride a VFR around that tree-farm about the same.

It seemed strange to me that he was dropping an inside foot off the peg in turns, but not kicking it forward.

That Scram sounds sweet.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #105
bikefree
misadventurer

Oddometer: 276
The scrambler is nice I guess, but the Strom has so much going for it. The strom has ABS, a better engine, ergonomics, a windshield, and well managed engine heat.

The Triumph is a toy compared to the Strom. You can go on all day about the cool factor of the Triumph, but after a 300 miles day you are going to wish you had a real bike. Put some motech racks and givi hard bags and you can ride to Alaska tomorrow on the strom. Your ass will be HURTIN on that scrambler, you won't have luggage and your teeth will be full of bugs. There is no comparison.

OTOH, you can get some cool leathers and ride with your buddies on the scrambler. It will impress the chicks until one gets on the back and realizes that that flat ass seat is only for looks and then burns her leg on the pipe.

Bart Simpson

bikefree is online now   Reply With Quote